Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This can't be right, bad battery or normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my first small day trip yesterday with my new MY. When I left my house, it said I could go 274 miles. I was traveling 98 miles away. I figured roughly 200 miles round trip would give me 74 miles fluff and that I'd be ok.

I've heard that I'll never get 315 mi but guys, it wasn't even close.

When I arrived to my destination, 98 miles away, my battery said I have 100 miles left?!?!? WTH. That's not even close to being accurate estimating.

I went from an estimated 274 miles to 100miles, when only traveling 98miles. 76 miles off?????

So i need help. Is this really what I should expect? Or do I have a problem with my battery?

Driving speeds, temperatures, elevation change. Lots of factors feed in to how things go on a specific drive.

As noted above, the car provides you with quite a lot of detail and history on consumption during your drive, and we can’t really answer your question correctly without seeing some of that.

So, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm not real sure how to find my wh/mile. Do I need to look for that as I'm driving or right after the trip? Can I look at that today, for driving info yesterday?

I'd say that 85 of the 98 miles were highway miles. I used autopilot for most of it set at 77mph. I love in Florida. There may be the occasional hill, but fairly flat. It was in the mid 80 degrees outside when we were driving and I was using AC. I had it set to 72-74 throughout the trip. The radio was on, and for about 20 min one of our phones was on the charger.

All and all, I'd say the I wasn't doing anything outlandish or outside of normal driving. As I mentioned, I live in Florida. I'm going to being using the ac 100% of the time in the vehicle. Radio will probably be playing something. I guess this is something that I'll just learn to know about my vehicle and plan accordingly. I just thought that with all of the amazing tech inside my MY, that they could do a better job of estimating the milage.

While I dont have my MY yet.....tomorrow!!!.....I think what you are describing is "normal". Normal is hard to pin down because there are so many factors that come into play. AC, speed, aggressive driving, wind, rain, heat, load in car, overall weight, sentry mode, normal vampire drain, etc. All of that adds up. Without knowing your kw/hr rating (should be in odometer for current trip or Trip A) or perhaps on you mobile app (IDK on this one yet since my app is still not attached),it is tough to say if it is abnormal.

Based on what I have watched/read (which has been a lot) range is very variable with every drive. Anecdotally, and maybe the community can chime in, it appears that Tesla's estimate when you plan a route is pretty dead on, within a percentage point usually. Plug in your destination (even if you dont have one) and see what it tells you what you will end up with when you get there.

Also, give it time. You need to learn how to drive the car and the battery has to learn its charging cycles and use too.

Hope that helps.

So, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm not real sure how to find my wh/mile. Do I need to look for that as I'm driving or right after the trip? Can I look at that today, for driving info yesterday?

I'd say that 85 of the 98 miles were highway miles. I used autopilot for most of it set at 77mph. I love in Florida. There may be the occasional hill, but fairly flat. It was in the mid 80 degrees outside when we were driving and I was using AC. I had it set to 72-74 throughout the trip. The radio was on, and for about 20 min one of our phones was on the charger.

All and all, I'd say the I wasn't doing anything outlandish or outside of normal driving. As I mentioned, I live in Florida. I'm going to being using the ac 100% of the time in the vehicle. Radio will probably be playing something. I guess this is something that I'll just learn to know about my vehicle and plan accordingly. I just thought that with all of the amazing tech inside my MY, that they could do a better job of estimating the milage.

There are three sets of trip data - one that resets every time the car comes out of park, one that resets every time you charge, and then a pair that are reset manually. It sounds like you might have lost the first two already.

The energy screen will show your consumption for up to the last 30 miles at any time.

Speed is definitely the biggest factor of what you’re describing, and your consumption might be normal for a Y that’s doing almost 80 most of the time - I don’t think we really have a handle on what to expect there yet.

Which rims/tires do you have?

With my Raven X, I can generally get to 300 Wh/mile at 70 in good conditions.

Us knowing the Wh/mile is the most important factor to see if your consumption is normal or not. Other than that as others have said, there are plenty of factors which go into driving the Wh/mile up. Speed is the biggest energy guzzler. Here is a chart with some dated information from 2019 and looking at the model 3, but similar theory can be applied to your car.

upload_2020-7-2_10-24-26.png

You'll see with an advertised EPA range of 310 miles, the model 3 P 18" wheels drops all the way down to 244 miles when you drive 80MPH. That's about a 20% decrease in range. So if you had 274 miles of predicted range on your battery screen (not the more accurate based on driving energy screen), you would expect to actually get about 219 miles. Subtract the 98 miles you drove, and you are at 121 miles. Factor in a little bit extra energy used for AC (80 degree outside and cooling to 74 inside is not very aggressive at all, so it's just a few % of consumption I'd guess) and you could see having 100 miles of estimated range by the time you got where you were going.

My opinion, is that your consumption was normal, you just weren't aware of how much speed effects the consumption rate.

That being said, I wouldn't be scared or panicked. You have learned that the computer is accurate in it's prediction of estimated range upon arrival (for the most part), just listen to the navigation and you'll never be stranded.

There are three sets of trip data - one that resets every time the car comes out of park, one that resets every time you charge, and then a pair that are reset manually. It sounds like you might have lost the first two already.

The energy screen will show your consumption for up to the last 30 miles at any time.

Speed is definitely the biggest factor of what you’re describing, and your consumption might be normal for a Y that’s doing almost 80 most of the time - I don’t think we really have a handle on what to expect there yet.

Which rims/tires do you have?

With my Raven X, I can generally get to 300 Wh/mile at 70 in good conditions.
I have the factory 20" induction rims/tires.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Great info!! I'm chalking it up to a learning curve. I don't think I have a bad battery, but will definitely be more versed the next time I venture out on a bit of a longer trip.

Thanks gang!

ps. DDrawer, nice chart!

Ballpark I have seen is you will lose about 25-30 miles of range for each 5mph increase in speedo over 65mph (which is roughly where you will get the estimated mileage), all other things being equal. So a chunk of your reduced range can be down to your 77mph speed. The rest is probably A/C etc.

Reactions: Zoomit
I’m seeing something similar. I’m coming from a Model 3, so I’m pretty attuned to what’s normal. I charged to 270 on Sunday and today (Thursday), I’m down to about 70 miles. This is 80% city driving. Only about 20% on the highway.

I’ve gone through two full charges since getting the car and I only have 250 miles on my car.

See attached for my wh/mi

I’m hoping something is up because this is significantly worse that my Model 3.

Attachments

• 45CBA0E5-E6D9-40EB-AEE4-CD3C3DEACFA5.jpeg
    45CBA0E5-E6D9-40EB-AEE4-CD3C3DEACFA5.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 95
You were driving 77 freaking miles per hour. Period.
I know that is not unusual at all for Florida highways, but it is nowhere near the lower speeds that EPA efficiency ratings are based on, so you are not going to be near that "rated miles" number. It's possible to match EPA rated values if you're doing around 55-60 mph, but wind resistance increases a lot with much higher speeds. That's just physics.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
FYI, I used the ac throughout the trip, shoot me. 99% of the trip was highway driving. I used autopilot for most of it and set the cruise at 77mph. Radio was playing also.
77mph will do it, also was it on a flat road or hills? What was your tire PSI? Did you take a picture of the screen that shows your wh/mi when you arrived with the 97 mile trip? What wheel size are you using? 20”??

Fred

Last edited:
Appreciate all the feedback and responses. I'm just new to the Tesla world and am navigating the new waters. I'm cool with it not getting the EPA #, just would like to have a more realistic idea of what to expect. That'll come with time and all of your input helps too.Thanks!