Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is bad, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fuses on them go.

Here's the thread I started on it when I first got a red-ring Gen-1 charger failures a few years back. Be sure to watch the youtube vid referenced. I updated it again recently when my second unit also failed.

Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll be happy to explain.
Nice. Thanks for the pointer; I hadn't see that thread.

Reactions: scaesare
Well, I just went through it. To fulfill the picture, two points:
- fuses don't blow up w/o reason; like one guy mentioned there, may be an early indication of IGBT failure;
- 5..6 hrs to replace it.
On the other hand, quite a few folks have replaced fuses and had them last for quite a while, which probably wouldn't happen if it was component failure within the charger in those cases.

Took me a while to do it in-car the first time... I can probably do it again in 2-3 hours.

Reactions: ac_power
Final update: the electrician agreed to replace the outlet at no charge (PDI) this afternoon. There was discoloration/burn mark on the neutral wire which I hadn't seen when I took it apart last week. I charged the car at 40A for two hours (70 to 90 percent), went driving to bring it down to 80, charged back up to 90, zero errors.

There was discoloration/burn mark on the neutral wire which I hadn't seen when I took it apart last week.
White one ? That's interesting, because UMC/CMC doesn't use neutral at all, only 2 x phase wires.
Yes, that is veeeery interesting. It is making me wonder if the outlet was somehow cross-wired in some way with the wires connected to the wrong pins of the outlet. Because yeah, the neutral pin of the 14-50 plug of the mobile connectors is a dummy pin and doesn't connect to anything.

Yes, that is veeeery interesting. It is making me wonder if the outlet was somehow cross-wired in some way with the wires connected to the wrong pins of the outlet. Because yeah, the neutral pin of the 14-50 plug of the mobile connectors is a dummy pin and doesn't connect to anything.
Yeah, weird. Electrician is going to tear down the burnt outlet.
Or it was a heat penetrating from phase contact, but then overheating should be much worse in that spot.
Anyway, let's see what autopsy reveals.