Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting a misaligned steering wheel fixed has been like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The paint run was very disappointing to find. I thought paint issues with the M3 had been handled.

Definitely not - although unless you want to get labelled as a FUD-spreading Tesla hater, who's probably also shorting the bejezus out of the stock, you can't really mention it.

As an aside, the steering wheel being 5 degrees off to the right, seems relatively common. I had that exact issue (it was not an alignment problem) and a bunch of people who got their deliveries around the time I did, over at the Model 3 Owners Club, also had this exact issue.

I waited for the chaos to calm down from last year and booked mine in during the new year, I received delivery in October. They initially tried to charge me for it saying I should have returned it immediately, obviously I pushed back, but you're actually right to get it resolved ASAP as it's harder to prove later on that it was like that at delivery.

I feel my steering wheel is off like that as well, maybe 2 degree or something. I have not have much chance to test that out since the car is still waiting for paperwork to be registered. Guess once it's done, I can do more testing. But if this is not an alignment issue, then can a mobile service fix this by taking the wheel out and adjust it? Since the nearest service center is 300 miles from my house and I will not be able to drive there until by the end of the year, mobile service is my only choice at the moment.

The new steering wheel design in the S can be adjusted without doing a full alignment. We had ours replaced for broken buttons on our 2015 and the new one was installed crooked. Mobile service was able to adjust it in our driveway, no alignment needed.

I think what happened in your case is that they put the steering wheel on crooked when they replaced the buttons and yes that can be fixed by pulling the wheel off and putting it back on correctly. There are groves/teeth that hold the wheel and it's possible to put it on with one notch off. The steering column and steering wheel connection hasn't changed in the Model S/X as far as I know.

Definitely not - although unless you want to get labelled as a FUD-spreading Tesla hater, who's probably also shorting the bejezus out of the stock, you can't really mention it.

As an aside, the steering wheel being 5 degrees off to the right, seems relatively common. I had that exact issue (it was not an alignment problem) and a bunch of people who got their deliveries around the time I did, over at the Model 3 Owners Club, also had this exact issue.

I waited for the chaos to calm down from last year and booked mine in during the new year, I received delivery in October. They initially tried to charge me for it saying I should have returned it immediately, obviously I pushed back, but you're actually right to get it resolved ASAP as it's harder to prove later on that it was like that at delivery.

So what was the fix then? I've had my car for five days not and am considering making an appt to get it fixed. It's a 2.5 hour drive to the SC so I'd have to take the day off work.

Just an update, remote tech is coming to day to fix the steering wheel alignment. I also got authorization from the delivery SC to fix the paint run at a Tesla approved shop on this coast. Maria, a Tesla advisor for Tampa/Naples really took the bull by the horns for me and cut through the bullshit answers I was getting up until this point.

Just an update, remote tech is coming to day to fix the steering wheel alignment. I also got authorization from the delivery SC to fix the paint run at a Tesla approved shop on this coast. Maria, a Tesla advisor for Tampa/Naples really took the bull by the horns for me and cut through the bullshit answers I was getting up until this point.
Was it ever fixed by the remote tech? If so, was it a simple pull and place a groove off?

Was it ever fixed by the remote tech? If so, was it a simple pull and place a groove off?

Correcting a cock-eyed steering wheel requires an alignment (of the wheels). This done at the service center.

This is correct. All the videos I have seen regarding the wheel indicate that the wheel can only be installed one way. If it is cock-eyed, it is not because it was installed incorrectly.

My experience was nowhere as near as trying. I noticed the cockeyed steering wheel on the way come from delivery, drove to a service center on my lunch break the next day and asked about it. I was told that the car should "automatically adjust the steering wheel alignment" but go ahead and schedule a service appointment which I can cancel if it so self-corrects. Unsurprisingly, it did not self-correct, so I showed up on appointment day (which was about ten days out), they confirmed why I was there, and an hour later they presented my car to me, and a tech asked to ride along a trip around the block to confirm that I was happy with the new alignment, which I was.

My experience was nowhere as near as trying. I noticed the cockeyed steering wheel on the way come from delivery, drove to a service center on my lunch break the next day and asked about it. I was told that the car should "automatically adjust the steering wheel alignment" but go ahead and schedule a service appointment which I can cancel if it so self-corrects. Unsurprisingly, it did not self-correct, so I showed up on appointment day (which was about ten days out), they confirmed why I was there, and an hour later they presented my car to me, and a tech asked to ride along a trip around the block to confirm that I was happy with the new alignment, which I was.

I have heard it referred to as setting the 'straight-away'. Integral part of the alignment process.

Out of curiosity, was this fixed? How was it repaired?
What happened with the paint problem?
Thanks.

I had an off-center steering wheel in an Audi A4 I was leasing and at first they didn't believe me and said it was the crown of the roads (they rarely believed me with any of the problems the car had until they saw it). Finally, they sent a mechanic out in the car with me who agreed it was off and they finally fixed it.

When my Model 3 was hit in an accident the body shop sent it to the Tesla Service Center for a wheel alignment, when I got my car and drove it I noticed the steering wheel was not centered, it was slightly right. About a month or so later I went to that service center had them try to fix it, they had a tech drive the car with me to see that the steering wheel was off and he confirmed that it was. After a few hours I got the car back and got less than a block and notice the steering wheel was still offset to the right, so I drove it back to the service center. After a few more hours they assured me it was fixed, but again as I drove not even half a block away I notice the steering wheel was still offset to the right. Since it was the end of their business day I drove my car the 2 hours back home. I called them the next day about it and expressed my displeasure at having to drive so far to get there and spending so much time there. They basically did a wheel alignment 3 times in total and still couldn't get the steering wheel centered. How is this possible? It's not rocket science! And why would they need to do a complete 4 wheel alignment all over again each time, when they just have to center the steering wheel?

I've not taken it back too them because I was going to try another service center but the next closest one is over 2 hours away. So I've been living with it. Maybe I'll try again or just wait until I need new tires, as an alignment would need to be done with them.

Needless to say I have found Tesla Service Centers to be just as back as dealership service centers. Now Tesla mobile service on the other hand, that's been great, but there's only so much they can fix.

It's amazing how the different SCs deliver different experiences. Wonder how much it's the people, or Tesla not supporting them with enough people, training and tools.

In my area, I emailed the service center down the road. Got a response in less than 15 minutes, and had nothing but curteous and great service/attention. Guess we're lucky here. And they do seem busy.

My 2018 and 2019 have very similar quality issues. They are not correcting problems. Service is abysmal but if you complain they make you feel like you are the problem and that no one else is complaining... Unless you read the friggin internet.... I bet the MiC model 3's are a lot better... First time I have a preference for a China product over USA...

It is not true that a crooked steering wheel is always an alignment issue. Ours was delivered about 10 deg. off center. The first attempted fix resulted in a scuffed wheel 'leather'. Second attempt by SC resulted in a pull off of the scuffed s-wheel and a true installation of a new one. It was simply installed off spline at the factory.
Be careful when getting this resolved. Apparently the tool they use to hold the wheel can damage the s-wheel cover if not secured properly as it did with ours.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7