Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Tesla Vision is not yet ready for Autopark and Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still surprised a company would build millions of cars that are supposed to drive themselves, but they put the cameras in the wrong places and have large blind spots.

(Yes, I know a human driver has blind spots...)

360 cameras have been around for ages. I know that doesn’t help you drive, but it’d help with close-in navigation like parking. They probably didn’t consider vision only for parking back when the original cameras were specced so this is clearly a retrofit trying to get a square peg into a round hole, but if you’re doing highland why not have a basic think about things. Couple of cameras in the wing mirrors and you could have a 360 camera and that would help the autopark but also would be enough for me to not care about USS as its even more useful (especially in car parks with horrific random radius high kerbs…)

I just want to know how close I am to curbing my wheels when parking. I still have to get out or open a door to check. The Parking Assist is truly useless for that, and everywhere else on the car. Half the time I get the "Parking Assist is Unavailable or Unreliable (or somesuch)" warning on the screen. The front, even in good daylight, is +-15 inches. That also proves it not trustworthy. I'd still like to get a real camera up front that can display on the screen so I don't crash my plate or bumper. Perhaps when Tesla finally opens up the system to 3rd party apps someone will come up with a visual parking app that actually works.

This is the main reason I bought a used '22 Plaid rather than a new '23. Removal of USS without a direct and comparable replacement was idiotic. I learned after living with the radar removal in 2021 from the 3/Y's in the US.

Now I see so many '23 models here with their noses banged up. Some look like they've done a few rounds with Lennox Lewis. I can only surmise that it is because the actually trust the crap replacement of USS, for at least a time or two.

This is the main reason I bought a used '22 Plaid rather than a new '23. Removal of USS without a direct and comparable replacement was idiotic. I learned after living with the radar removal in 2021 from the 3/Y's in the US.

Now I see so many '23 models here with their noses banged up. Some look like they've done a few rounds with Lennox Lewis. I can only surmise that it is because the actually trust the crap replacement of USS, for at least a time or two.
Be careful calling the vision-based replacement 'crap' here...it upsets some folks!

That makes it more useful than the TV (TeslaVision) version of parking sensors. 🤣

Only thing worse than no info is bad info. The TV version excels in that currently. By the time they get it right, they'll probably reintroduce something like the sensors they removed. Just like they did with radar.

Reactions: Whyone
In some HW4 cars, supposedly it is. Not enabled yet, and nobody knows when it will be. I bought a Y in the middle of the radar removal in 2021. Elon was saying "We don't need no stinking radar as TV is all you need. Radar is just more noise, yada, yada."

Look at where we are now...

I’m shopping for a new second car, and Tesla is the obvious choice as I love the technology and configurability. However, no parking sensors and not even 360° camera view of the car pretty much removed the range from my consideration as I don’t want to be constantly fearful of hitting the bumper on things. The behaviour of EM and Tesla themselves in retroactively nerfing key features in the car without warning like we’re all just beta testing as opposed to paying customers. This to me is both unacceptable and anti customer (nearly all cars have had parking sensors for decades), so I guess I will hold off buying one for now and see what future models bring.

• Funny
Reactions: SergeyP
I'll take the camera rather than a bumper repair/paint touch up. It blends in quite well once there. It is very useful for the parking curbs that once you approach are below the level of the USS.

Here is the camera installed on my S. I have one for the 3 as well in a similar location. You can rotate the lens up and down to finetune the view.

IMG_1428.jpg