Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Tesla Vision is not yet ready for Autopark and Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very useful demonstration, thank you.

It doesn’t need an expert to say from that video Park Assist isn’t helping you park (not fit for purpose). Mind you, Tesla do caveat the ’feature’. Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

I am starting to plan for what I do when my lease is up due to the lead time on some new cars. Just decided I don’t want a car giving me incorrect information- I’ve managed to have a corner painted even with USS. Hope Tesla get this sorted ASAP but I’m not placing any bets.

Wonder How long it will be until several owners trust the vision system while parking and it screws them.

I Love driving the Y P but do not trust the vision system for distances .. Not going to let it trick me into damaging the only New car I have ever owned.

I’m careful with the back as the wide angle camera can distort things and make distance difficult, but its a help at least.
I’m extra careful with the front
The corners I’m just waiting for the day at this point :/ and doing my best to entirely avoid locations with posts or other obstacles

I’m careful with the back as the wide angle camera can distort things and make distance difficult, but its a help at least.
I’m extra careful with the front
The corners I’m just waiting for the day at this point :/ and doing my best to entirely avoid locations with posts or other obstacles
It is the front that I trust the least. Sometimes it seems like the distance displayed is accurate, other times not so much.

It is the front that I trust the least. Sometimes it seems like the distance displayed is accurate, other times not so much.

I know they talk the talk with FSD but don’t walk the walk, but I really figured some of the vision challenges were doable at parking speeds.

Simple front-on approach where its seen eg a wall or kerb - once it disappears from view it should be pretty straightforward (for smart engineers) to use the wheel turning to judge distance moved vs the obstacle position. Maybe its just not capable of estimating distance at all - if it doesn’t have a known reference like another car, its just a wall/pattern, then the initial distance while the camera can still see will be off therefore the estimate will always be off?

I have been vocal here about the fiasco that is Tesla's handling of the USS delete and the much delayed and now sub-optimal (I got told off for calling it 'crap' yesterday!) Vision based Park Assist replacement.

But...big BUT...people should not be relying on these systems (whether USS or Vision based) - they are for assistance/guidance not a cast-iron, 100% reliable source of information when parking.

Reactions: 455dan and init6
That looks pretty useless and I’m really glad I’ve still got USS. But someone will be along soon to tell you that Tesla Vision works perfectly on their car, which will make you feel a whole lot better.
I love seeing those posts on the Facebook groups etc.

"No issues here", like that somehow invaldiates someone's experiences. I've only had one phantom braking incident and my wipers are mostly ok, but I can sympathise with people who have issues. These problems are exacerbated by how much you drive (I barely do any miles) and also times of day, etc (I think auto wipers have issues with that), etc. I wouldn't act as if it's a non-issue just because I don't experience it.

I'm sure it will work perfectly with the highlander M3s and their additional cameras. Question is will tesla retrofit older models?

if its the rumoured bumper cams, assume those are side facing for things like junction peeping? if so they won't be useful for forward distance checking. Silly arses just should have kepts the USS (at least at the front where there is no camera). It dosn't have to be all sensor fusion this or single stack that. Just turn them on and let them beep when I'm parking so I know if I'm near something. I'm not self driving at that point ffs.

I’m still surprised a company would build millions of cars that are supposed to drive themselves, but they put the cameras in the wrong places and have large blind spots.

(Yes, I know a human driver has blind spots...)
It's almost as if they made grand promises without knowing for sure if the hardware would be up to it (or in the right places). :(

It will be demo'd self parking in Costco sized parking spots where there are no vehicles either side and no objects such as lamp posts or shopping trolleys. It will then be signed off as finished and that test rolled out against every claim, they'll caveat that it is not suitable for all circumstances. I wouldn't mind if I could even just make mine be summoned manually forwards and backwards via the remote to let me get in or out of the door and then nudge the car.