Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after 650 mile one-day Tesla drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many CA SCs have 15-30 min wait times. Most of those are full of people that live a mile away and charge from 70-90%. The SC network was originally designed for travel but some are congested with these folks and Uber drivers, etc.
The end of free supercharging should definitely help out with that. I know power is expensive in CA but it is surprising that people will waste time to save a few bucks.

One day this will be true, but for now, long road trips I am still better off in an ICE. I am a bit of road warrior, and will cover off 900miles in a day easily. With maybe 30min of total not driving time. You can't pull that off in an EV and as you say where you charge is not always the place you want to take breaks.

We are not far off from the EV being the better road trip option for most people, just not there yet.

not to mention in europe there are still serious range issues due to the fast speed of cars.

For the long range warriors, the diesel, with a huge tank is still the champ, but then you get stuck driving a diesel with a huge tank :)

Driving an EV changes people. They begin to enjoy the journey, instead of racing to the destination. Road warriors arrive beaten up, exhausted, physically and mentally drained. For the end of the journey they are pretty unsafe to still be on the road. For some it is a badge of courage and accomplishment, but EV drives soon see the benefits of making frequent stops along the way.

For this reason, there will still be people that will want an ICE vehicle with great range. The downside is that they will be polluting every single mile along the way.

For me, most voyages over 1,000 miles are best done by flying. Two hours in the air is better than 18 hours on the road.

Everyplace else, the EV gets the job done with grace and pace.

For the long range warriors, the diesel, with a huge tank is still the champ, but then you get stuck driving a diesel with a huge tank :)

Driving an EV changes people. They begin to enjoy the journey, instead of racing to the destination. Road warriors arrive beaten up, exhausted, physically and mentally drained. For the end of the journey they are pretty unsafe to still be on the road. For some it is a badge of courage and accomplishment, but EV drives soon see the benefits of making frequent stops along the way.

For this reason, there will still be people that will want an ICE vehicle with great range. The downside is that they will be polluting every single mile along the way.

For me, most voyages over 1,000 miles are best done by flying. Two hours in the air is better than 18 hours on the road.

Everyplace else, the EV gets the job done with grace and pace.
There definitely will always be people who will prefer ICE, just like how there are people who still prefer a stick shift. But those people will be in the minority, so the statement about the death of ICE is true. They will still exist, but very rarely.

Years ago, I drove 900 miles in one day. It was an insane thing for me* to do and I would never do it again. Before the end, I was exhausted and had become a real danger to myself and others. I tell “most people” that I drove over 600 miles in a day and they’re impressed. Even that isn’t something most people would do. For most people, 900 miles in a day is WAY outside the envelope of things they would ever consider doing. It isn’t something with a statistically significant effect on EV adoption.

* Not saying driving like that isn’t something YOU can’t do safely. I don’t know you and recognize that some people can do things I can’t.

Yep I did Southern Calif to Seattle one day. The last hour or so was dangerous and I would never do it again. 1 driver wife was pax, I did stop multiple times, and a few times were multi hour. I just didn’t want to stay in a crappy side freeway motel,. Total travel time hit 20+ hours..... be safe folks.

Last edited:
Driving 900 miles in a single day with only 30 minutes of break time might be dangerous for most drivers. In many jurisdictions there are rules that limit the amount of driving commercial drivers do for this reason.

Multiple drivers, so no big deal really. It is only 12ishhrs on the road, so a couple 3 hour shifts. I tend to drive 3 hrs a day around the city between commuting and go to meetings, so 3-4 hrs at one time on the highway is no issue. Get out stretch, change drivers, repeat.

Multiple drivers, so no big deal really. It is only 12ishhrs on the road, so a couple 3 hour shifts. I tend to drive 3 hrs a day around the city between commuting and go to meetings, so 3-4 hrs at one time on the highway is no issue. Get out stretch, change drivers, repeat.

I wouldn't want to sit 12 hours in a car with only 30 minutes of breaks, even if I didn't have to drive at all. When my wife and I moved from Houston to the Boston area, we drove a rental moving track for four days to cover 1850 miles and it was exhausting even though we split the driving.

Reactions: rachelhikes
I wouldn't want to sit 12 hours in a car with only 30 minutes of breaks, even if I didn't have to drive at all. When my wife and I moved from Houston to the Boston area, we drove a rental moving track for four days to cover 1850 miles and it was exhausting even though we split the driving.

And I love doing it! I always love a good road trip. I find it super relaxing. Good music, good conversation, hopefully good scenery.

Tesla has an amazing SC infrastructure that makes 99% of road trips in an EV possible.
Could things be better? Sure. I'd start by increasing stalls and find a way to eliminate the half rate charging that occurs when the stalls fill up. We already want charging speeds to (usually) be faster, so encountering a busy SC that is half speed is certainly the wrong direction. V3 will help the Model 3's because, supposedly, their battery packs can take higher kW rate. The SC network is close to right sized now (except for some key popular areas - mostly an issue in California), but as Tesla doubles the fleet size in very short order.... Well they better get on mitigating that now!
Full charge rate on all chargers, always, V3, and more SCs where appropriate. That's my $0.02.

Reactions: BestHand
I would run into problems on the very first day. From Bay Area to Santa Barbara on Highway 1. There are 2 chargers on the way, one in Gilroy and one in SLO. We never stop at any of these locations. Same applies for most of the days on the trip.
Second issue: heat in the desert decreases the range, and there are very few chargers there.
No. There are 5 superchargers on that route. I’m glad I’m not your guest. As much as I’d want to see all those great places, if someone took me on a death march like that, I’d never come back!:cool:

not to mention in europe there are still serious range issues due to the fast speed of cars.
That does make me miss having gears. Even in the US some of the highways in the midwest are limited at 75mph, with most going well above that. It would be nice to have a gear kick in at 70 and gain some efficiency back at high speeds. (I know most of the loss is due to wind resistance but that would have to help)

And I love doing it! I always love a good road trip. I find it super relaxing. Good music, good conversation, hopefully good scenery.

I do love road trips and already did 2000 miles in my Model 3 that was bought on September 28. We're planning to have a road trip to Florida in late December. However, while doing 500 miles in a day is fun, doing 900 is punishment.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
You caused your inconvenience by "starting with a lower than typical charge". It is simple to avoid these problems and most do.[

A different way of looking at it is the reason I started with a lower than typical charge is the shopping location was the second stop after starting the day with 300+ miles. The first stop was in a major city where there wasn’t a charger near my meeting.

For this use case, the fact is that an EV was a weaker choice (with respect to time and convenience). Most people, including me, would not be doing what I did that day (multiple stops with lots of driving in between) regularly. Given that I shopped for a couple of hours with level 2 charging and did a splash and go, I must have traveled 350-360 miles in total. Any EV on the market will take longer than an ICE on that day.

Upon reflection, my point is the same, had there been a supercharger at the shopping center it would have been a nonissue.

For my ~270 mile road trips with lots of superchargers in between destinations, I love my Model 3 and the trip takes about the same as it would for a gasoline engine car.

Tesla's Supercharger network is one of the key points that got me to look into EV's in the first place. While other automakers brushed it off like it's no big deal, Tesla knew they had to address some of the top issues people have with EV's in order to move forward. Range anxiety and charging speed remain the top issues people have when considering EV's.