Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Solid Black vs. Obsidian Black Metallic??? HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solid black is, well, plain black like the plain white (not available anymore). Obsidian black supposedly has these shiny metallic specks in the black that shines in bright sunlight.

I was debating between the two as well. Then I went with the blue...which is what I wanted in the first place. Love my blue. :cool:

IMAG0685.jpg

Reactions: DIL and Ormond
i have midnight silver. it has the similar specs as the metallic black. some things i learned:

- metallic is that it is harder to match paint color in case of accident or painting needs. some retailers have mentioned this to me so i don't know this first hand.

- the plain black is supposedly darker and more pure black while the metallic has more shine to it or can look lighter when lights hit it, due to the flakes. better or worse is subjective but the most unbiased way to put it is that metallic has some interest to it whereas plain black is more what you would expect from the color black.

hope that makes sense. i debated both blacks and if i had to pick id go w the plain as i didn't think the extra $ was worth having flakes. ultimately wanted something grayish.

I'd go obsidian unless you get the front end wrapped in PPF. Any imperfections in the clear coat show up as white spots, just like swirls are easiest to see in black due to them reflecting back as whitish. Any minor chips, scratches, water spots, bug splatters and stuff just reflect off the plain black. Both my S's have plain black roofs and you can clearly see any imperfections and spots.

Don't have personal experience with Obsidian but typically metallic will sort of mask some of those imperfections. However, obsidian doesn't look as "deep black" as plain black.

All these suggestions about which type of black paint to get are, well, personal opinions. Color of the car is a pretty personal choice, and many people have VERY strong opinions one way or the other. Very similar to this thread's discussions for black, I'm amusingly following another active thread about WHITE colors. Again, personal choices. :p

I looked at both and chose solid black. If you are someone that will keep it clean and like the deep shine it is better IMO. The obsidian looks like it has dust on it which is good for hiding actual dirt, but will never have the glossy shine. I would highly recommend a second mortgage and get it completely wrapped with Expel ultimate. very glad i did but an expensive pill to swallow. After a year and half I have no swirl or scratch marks and frequently just wipe the car down. I also just did a little DIY 3M gloss black chrome delete project. It isn't perfect, but cost me $70 in material instead of the $1k i was quoted. I don't think black out would look as good with obsidian.
IMG_0367.JPG