Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Tesmat camping mattress for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got mine today. Love it!! Seems well designed. Although...not sure I’m traveling anywhere soon with COVID-19.

Did you get the new style that is 3 sections of mat? Curious if they are difficult to handle and put in place. I know their original design had 6 sections. That haven't updated their web page with videos of the new design, so I wonder how they look and work.

Did you get the new style that is 3 sections of mat? Curious if they are difficult to handle and put in place. I know their original design had 6 sections. That haven't updated their web page with videos of the new design, so I wonder how they look and work.
Got my tonight and just put it in.....it's awesome! 3 pieces, very easy to put in and the sheet. It all fits nice and snug from the bottom of the trunk to the rear head rests and it really is easy to push down and snap in the bag. Plus it's quite soft and comfortable as well. So glad I waited for the new style.

+1 for this product.

Got my tonight and just put it in.....it's awesome! 3 pieces, very easy to put in and the sheet. It all fits nice and snug from the bottom of the trunk to the rear head rests and it really is easy to push down and snap in the bag. Plus it's quite soft and comfortable as well. So glad I waited for the new style.

+1 for this product.
Photos, please! I’d love to see see new design.

Photos, please! I’d love to see see new design.
Sure thing, I dont have pics of the three pieces in the car, just with the sheet cover over them.
20200313_194827.jpg
20200313_194814.jpg

Attachments

• 20200313_194814.jpg
    20200313_194814.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 355
In case anyone is wondering about the privacy screen, I just got mine up here in Canada and it's great. Small, simple, and does the job fairly well. Sure beats my old way of tucking clothes into the windows! Hard to take good pics of it in my garage, but I tried!

Attachments

• 20200323_002304.jpg
    20200323_002304.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 20200323_002108.jpg
    20200323_002108.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 443
Hey all I'm planning a cross country road trip for June now that the parks are opening back up. Found a ton of options for the bed but and was looking at tesmat but two things concern me. First a questionable return policy Refund policy (says if used can't return does that mean I can't try it out?). Second a questionable review
. I really am looking for comfort even if I have to sacrifice the space so right now I'm leaning towards the Milliard tri folding 4" foam mattress. @ggies07 any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey all I'm planning a cross country road trip for June now that the parks are opening back up. Found a ton of options for the bed but and was looking at tesmat but two things concern me. First a questionable return policy Refund policy (says if used can't return does that mean I can't try it out?). Second a questionable review
. I really am looking for comfort even if I have to sacrifice the space so right now I'm leaning towards the Milliard tri folding 4" foam mattress. @ggies07 any thoughts? Thanks!
Interesting....I feel like the is enough cushion, but I'm a small guy.....

If you're a big guy for sure go with the Millard folding mattress. I'm, 6'4 and 200 pounds and it provides just enough cushion to be comfy while still being small enough to fit in my trunk just behind the backs of the rear seats. It does take almost 2/3 of my trunk space though, so be sure you understand this before buying it. The millard is super comfy to sleep on and it works for me and my small girlfriend. However, I highly recommend the Tesmat privacy screen to keep light and curious eyes out.

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I did verify I could return it so I'm going to try it out. Doing a month long 10,000 mile trip in my 3 starting in a couple weeks with a majority car camping. If I stick with the Tesmat I'll give you a good long trip review!

Question - where will you be showing? I want to do a long trip like this as well, but will NOT use camp ground showers.

Following this thread— hoping for more real life usage and reviews. I know my wife and I, as I imagine the same with a lot of us, are looking to do a little roadtrip/camping trip when the parks reopen/while we’re still working from home. It may be the perfect time to do it. So looking now for options such as Tesmat. Any actual longer-term (3 nights plus) reviews would be very helpful. Does it hold up?

Following this thread— hoping for more real life usage and reviews. I know my wife and I, as I imagine the same with a lot of us, are looking to do a little roadtrip/camping trip when the parks reopen/while we’re still working from home. It may be the perfect time to do it. So looking now for options such as Tesmat. Any actual longer-term (3 nights plus) reviews would be very helpful. Does it hold up?
I don't think your problem will be with the mattress. I've found camping with my girlfriend the bigger limiting feature that makes longer stays uncomfortable is the lack of space, particularly with the parcel shelf (behind the rear seats) that restricts your vertical space quite a lot, especially if you're 6'4 and 200 pounds like me. Thankfully my girlfriend is tiny so she doesn't need much space, but it is cosy for sure. For maximum comfort I recommend something thicker than the Tesmat, but at the end of the day I recommend testing with a cheaper option first to see if you can swing living like a submariner, haha.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC and Dr. J
So after a night on Tesmat I decided really quickly that it just wasn't good enough for any extended period. I was pretty sore after the first night and I do hiking/camping every year as well as a lot of overnight fishing trips so I'm used to sleeping rough. Granted I was sleeping with my 9 year old son who is over 100lbs and sleeps on 3/4 of any bed he's on. However for the 2-3 weeks that I plan on being on the road it just wasn't going to cut it. I do agree it was designed well and compact if you're just looking for an emergency one off and you want to keep it in the trunk compartment. So I'm returning it and here's what I settled on and @AdamMacDon I should have listened to you from the jump!

So I'm 200lbs 6ft with an average build. I slept on this with my 8 year old last night who took up about 2/3 of the bed and I was still comfortable. I chose a twin 4" memory foam topper for $100.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allswell...Topper-Infused-with-Copper-Gel-Twin/782779809

It's comfortable and still has plenty of room between my body and the rear shelf even when sleeping on my side. My biggest concern was packing size but as you can see in the pictures I really don't think it's bad. Takes up about 1/3 of the trunk space (less if you include the base compartment). I tried to get as many pictures as I could. I am going to keep the privacy from Tesmat. I think it's decent but honestly I'd make some design changes on it. Sticking cards in the bottom of it to tie it into the windows is a pain and cheesy. It could easily be solved with a couple additional suction cups. I'm also for hire as a tesla model if any vendors are looking :)

I'll try to remember to do a follow up review in July. I'll be on the road for over a month with a couple weeks of that in the car if all goes as planned.

IMG_1809.jpg
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1813.jpg
IMG_1815.jpg
IMG_1816.jpg

I have taken naps at Superchargers in the driver's seat with no problem. In 40 degree weather at our family's shared cabin that has no heat or insulation, I slept in the car. I put the driver's seat back a bit, reclined the seat back and elevated the front edge a little. I had a really wonderful night of sleep in Camp mode! I did it again 3 weeks later and it was warm enough that I could turn the car off and just use a down car throw from Costco. When the sun came up the view through the windshield was almost identical to the Camp mode screen image! I put a hat over my face and went back to sleep. My wife was not with me and she would probably not like this for her sleep.

The Tesmat and their shade sound pretty good to me if I were to do some camping again (previously it was in tents and with air mattresses and sleeping bags-and rain!).

Electrically, I was plugged into 110V and in Camp mode at 40 degrees outside I broke even by the AM. The next time, with the HVAC off, I gained a few percent.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
So after a night on Tesmat I decided really quickly that it just wasn't good enough for any extended period. I was pretty sore after the first night and I do hiking/camping every year as well as a lot of overnight fishing trips so I'm used to sleeping rough. Granted I was sleeping with my 9 year old son who is over 100lbs and sleeps on 3/4 of any bed he's on. However for the 2-3 weeks that I plan on being on the road it just wasn't going to cut it. I do agree it was designed well and compact if you're just looking for an emergency one off and you want to keep it in the trunk compartment. So I'm returning it and here's what I settled on and @AdamMacDon I should have listened to you from the jump!

So I'm 200lbs 6ft with an average build. I slept on this with my 8 year old last night who took up about 2/3 of the bed and I was still comfortable. I chose a twin 4" memory foam topper for $100.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allswell...Topper-Infused-with-Copper-Gel-Twin/782779809

It's comfortable and still has plenty of room between my body and the rear shelf even when sleeping on my side. My biggest concern was packing size but as you can see in the pictures I really don't think it's bad. Takes up about 1/3 of the trunk space (less if you include the base compartment). I tried to get as many pictures as I could. I am going to keep the privacy from Tesmat. I think it's decent but honestly I'd make some design changes on it. Sticking cards in the bottom of it to tie it into the windows is a pain and cheesy. It could easily be solved with a couple additional suction cups. I'm also for hire as a tesla model if any vendors are looking :)

I'll try to remember to do a follow up review in July. I'll be on the road for over a month with a couple weeks of that in the car if all goes as planned.

View attachment 547145 View attachment 547146 View attachment 547147 View attachment 547148 View attachment 547149 View attachment 547150
Yeah, I found the Tesmat is really well designed and compact, but lacking in the comfort category. Glad you found a good solution! Enjoy the camping trips!