Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the BMW i4 M50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the recent price increases to the M3P, the difference is very minimal in price especially factoring in the $7500 rebate with the BMW, it would be a tough choice. The thing that kills me is the car weighs over 1000lbs more than a M3P and has a 25% higher energy consumption which will kill the range especially in winter. I already feel like my M3P is too damn heavy especially when cornering, I can't imagine what an additional 1000lbs will feel like.

Reactions: 30seconds
Quicker than the Performance Model 3.
In the US, fast charging anything other than a Tesla is a lesser experience though. Curious if the P3D will get a small update to increase the top end speed to match or beat this car on a drag strip. 3.5 seconds 0-60 then 8 to 120mph. If they can get 60-120mph down half a second, it would inch out this new BMW
Check your stats... the Model 3 Performance does 0-60 mph in 3.1 seconds, the BMW i4 M450 in 3. 7 seconds.

1650395250451.png

1650395158752.png

Golfpilot was comparing quarter mile times. Some tests I've seen have been 11.6@115 (C&D) for the M3P, and 11.7@120 for the M50. (Also C&D)... that shows the BMW being behind at the quartermile, but going significantly faster.

Of note, the same C&D test shows a 3.3s quarter mile for the BMW (omitting 1-ft rollout) vs. the 3.1 of tesla. Still more than 0.1s slower, but a smaller difference than the quoted specs.

@FlatSix911 : You quoted stats for the BMW i4 eDrive*40*, not 50.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
All true but the M50's 60-130 beats the M3P by around 1.5 seconds. Hopefully Elon see this and gives a boost up top lol
Not only that but a boosted long range is actually faster than a performance 3 past about the first 60ft. Giving the Performance 3 the same output as the Performance Y, would solve the problem. Asking Tesla to update the performance to beat the boosted model 3 after 60ft isn't a big ask

Not only that but a boosted long range is actually faster than a performance 3 past about the first 60ft. Giving the Performance 3 the same output as the Performance Y, would solve the problem. Asking Tesla to update the performance to beat the boosted model 3 after 60ft isn't a big ask
@golfpilot Is that just comparing 100% stock cares because the LR comes with lighter wheels? Or is the LR+AB actually making slightly more power on average at higher speeds?

There are a bunch of videos but here are 2.
the second one, the LR walks away from the performance at high speeds
@golfpilot I don't think either of those videos answers my question. Definitely not the 2nd video with the 18s on the LR. The first one I'm not sure...did they put 19" sport wheels with the same tires on both? Or the old 20" Performance wheels with the same tires on both? Those two wheels look really similar to me, I can't tell if they're both running the same wheels, or if it's 19" vs 20".

The question is whether LR AWD with AB actually puts out more power at high speeds than a P, or whether LR+AB walks away just because it comes with a more efficient or different tire diameter wheel+tire combo. Any comparison that keeps the original wheels+tires on both, does not answer that question.

Btw even an LR AWD without AB felt just as quick to me on the highway as a P (butt dyno). No need to buy AB or P just for highway power unless maybe you're doing highway street racing.

I do like the M50. It's quite comfortable to drive and feels faster than 3.7 sec 0-60mph. I'm a big fan of the HUD, Tesla needs to add that and greatly improve the suspension to stay competitive. I'm a Tesla fan, but worried given cars I'm test driving from "traditional" manufacturer with improve fit/finish and ride comfort.

It also meets or exceeds the EPA ratings in testing.
I assume that you are referring to non-standard range testing. There is no way to know whether a non-governmental testing protocol (magazines, websites, etc.) is biased by who does the testing.

USEPA, NEDC and WLTP use different mixes of highway and city driving which leads to slightly different results, but at least all vehicles for sale within their respective jurisdictions are tested.

I assume that you are referring to non-standard range testing. There is no way to know whether a non-governmental testing protocol (magazines, websites, etc.) is biased by who does the testing.

USEPA, NEDC and WLTP use different mixes of highway and city driving which leads to slightly different results, but at least all vehicles for sale within their respective jurisdictions are tested.
With the 19" wheels you're good for 300 miles.

I'm thinking about 350 Wh/mi compared to 300 Wh/mi for MS.

Sound deadening. A modern, active suspension. Interior comfort. It also meets or exceeds the EPA ratings in testing. All unlike Tesla.
@Jigglypuff True, you get real features and benefits for the extra weight. But whether they're worth it is a matter of priorities. I wouldn't want those for my M3P if it meant 1000 lbs extra weight. Priorities! 😀

It seems BMW built a fast, smooth, and highly refined rocketship cruiser. I respect that but I don't get excited by it.

I guess I wish the i4 M50 was something it's not. Something that BMW has the technical expertise to build, but doesn't fit with their modern priorities of upmost refinement.

The other issue I have with the i4 M50 is that if did want a faster, smoother, more comfortable EV with a liftgate...I might rather have a newish Model S.

It wouldn't be a clear-cut choice, there's clearly ups and downs to each and I'd definitely need to test drive the i4 M50 before deciding to not buy it, if that makes sense, but my best guess based on what I've read is I'd prefer an S (crazy shortage era pricing aside).

Similarly, since the i4 kind of straddles Model 3 and Model S to me, if it had been out when we were car shopping last year I'd definitely have tested it before pulling the trigger on the M3P or P2P. The thought crossed my mind to wait for the i4, but we were really needing a 2nd car, and with delays + shortages so common it seemed like a bad idea to wait on something that was officially months away, *if* no further delays happened...and with no guarantee that we'd actually like it more than the M3P or P2P.

Hell, I'll be the first to admit sometimes I come away from a test drive with a VASTLY different opinion of a car than I expected from reading about it. Like the Polestar 2 Performance. Could be that if/when I drive an i4 M50 someday, I'll be wanting to swap my M3P for it. Maybe. ;)