Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the new Roadster’s “over 250mph” top speed claim by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not aware of any manufacturers quoting wheel torque (or wheel HP, for that matter). By that token, the P100D powertrain already makes a combined output around 10,000 Nm! o_O

View attachment 261381

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-19 um 22.07.07.png

Not sure how you calculated the Model S numbers, just take the gearing ratios, they are known. But if it has more than 10 kNm, then it has more wheel torque than the Roadster, which would make sense, if the Roadster is lighter.

You can go as fast as you want on a race track... But in the past, Tesla has not (really) encouraged use of any of their cars for racing.

Also, most tracks I know of don't have straights long enough for you to get anywhere near 250 mph.

The new Roadster has specs that will make many want to take it into a professional race.

Quite a few of our European F1 tracks have straights where I think 250 mph is possible eg Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Portimao. Track days with a quality organiser (eg Gold Track) would be an option though racing would require FIA compliance and the car would need a lot of change.

The issue with racing an S/X I believe is the internal capacity of the battery. The very hard acceleration frequently causes localised hot spot heating. The battery will trigger thermal overload and the car will limit power. Why should the Roadster be different?

Reactions: gowthamn
I've been seriously considering the next gen Roadster. I even put down a deposit. But if I can't realistically ever drive it safely anywhere near its top specs, either in the 1/4 mile or at top speed, then a part of me asks, then what's the point? I can zoom from stoplight to stoplight here at home pretty well with my S60 or my Corvette, so what's left? To me (personal opinion coming!), the car doesn't look as amazing as some other hypercars nor does it make an awesome growl that will turn heads. So it's (1) ownership of the most fantastic EV ever (which, yes, is pretty cool but $200K is $200K) and ... (2) autocross? What am I missing?

I've been seriously considering the next gen Roadster. I even put down a deposit. But if I can't realistically ever drive it safely anywhere near its top specs, either in the 1/4 mile or at top speed, then a part of me asks, then what's the point? I can zoom from stoplight to stoplight here at home pretty well with my S60 or my Corvette, so what's left? To me (personal opinion coming!), the car doesn't look as amazing as some other hypercars nor does it make an awesome growl that will turn heads. So it's (1) ownership of the most fantastic EV ever (which, yes, is pretty cool but $200K is $200K) and ... (2) autocross? What am I missing?

(1) 621 miles of highway range
(2) Better Supercharging. Not only will you get sustained high power at Superchargers, but you'll get to enjoy the look of despair on the faces of other Tesla owners who find that the only free Supercharger slot is paired with your car.

Tesla marketing is so obsessed with the performace data - beat all the competition.

I am in the same boat, even having the Autobahn right here, I will probably never go faster than 250 km/h; I would even advocate for a chill mode, limiting top speed and acceleration to user defined values (PIN protected). Make a slider like the one for the display brightness. That way I could even let some of my kids drive this fantastic car. They will be 19 and 21 in 2020.

Apart from all the specs on paper, I expect this car to be wonderful to drive.

No need to ever use the top speed capabilities. Few supercar owners ever explore the limits of their vehicles, but like driving within the envelope, knowing that additional performance is still on tap.

Driving a regular car from 80 to 120 takes a long time, with sluggish performance. A new Roadster will zip right tup to 120 with plenty of reserve.

When I drove my Viper at the track in Pomona, i was warned that if I exceded a certain top speed or ET they would send me home after the run. I needed to be sure to breath it at the top end to be allowed to keep running, but still really enjoyed the experience.

The NHRA allows stock production vehicles to run faster than those who have been modified. Maybe something will be done to accommodate the new breed of electric vehicles that will not blow engines and dump oil all over the track, or have engines explode, sending shrapnel into the crowd.

Believe with advanced stability controls, one speed transmissions, agressive regenerative braking and all wheel drive they will be much safer than typical ICE vehicles.

Reactions: e-FTW and Colasec
So where could one drive 100mph+, legally? Can amateurs buy a run at the Salt Flats? What are some other options?

It won't be legal to take to an NHRA event since it's too fast (8.8s 1/4 requires a roll cage and chute).

Nevada's Silver State Classic Challenge lets you drive on highway 138 for 90 miles at a target speed. The Touring category allows target speeds of 95-110 mph without significant modifications (you have to mount a small fire extinguisher within reach and they have certain tire requirements too). I ran my P85D Model S a few years in the 100 mph category, and still had enough range left to make it back to Las Vegas for the award ceremony. Open vehicles require a roll cage but I think the new Roadster would qualify as a closed vehicle with its glass top on. Charging is a challenge near Ely for the Model S/X (RV parks only), but the new Roadster would have no problems, and it would likely win the half-mile shootout event that they do the day before (no special requirements beyond the Touring category for that event, though you might hit 175+ mph). It would probably win the one-mile shootout too - although I would be too afraid to do that one. Warning: most insurance companies exclude coverage for open road rallies.

Attachments

• Shootout.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100mph,pdf.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The issue with racing S/X I believe is the internal capacity of the battery. The very hard acceleration frequently causes localised hot spot heating. The battery will trigger thermal overload and the car will limit power. Why should the Roadster be different?
10 or 12 years of continuous improvement?
building 2008 - 2020 ~12 years
designing 2004 - 2019 ~15years
Roadster; Model S/X, P, D; Model 3; Semi; Roadster 2
2nd generation battery 18650 to 2170
4th generation battery pack ? - Roadster, Model S/X; Model 3; Roadster 2

Perhaps the new Roadster won't be different.

How many points on my license if cop clocks me at 250+ mph?
In California I believe the officer would take your license and your car, charge you and take you to jail, and you could face prison time and the long term loss of driving privileges. As you should.

With a car this powerful there will inevitably be a few stories of people going way over the speed limit and either getting caught and facing the consequences or getting killed or killing someone else.

But the stories won’t be limited to speeding incidents; there will also be cases on public roads of the driver slamming the pedal to the floor and losing control because they aren’t prepared for the acceleration.

These things happen occasionally with very powerful cars from many car companies.