Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on winter wheels/tires - aftermarket or Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s what I was told. They said to order the tires (whenever they become available) to my home and then make an appointment with Tesla mobile service. I am also waiting to see how well this is going to go.

I gotta imagine they meant if you buy their winter tire package, then mobile service will install those wheels/tires on the car for you. If you just buy tires through tesla (which you can't), there's no way mobile service would be able to mount and balance tire

Reactions: bhzmark
I called the SC in Vancouver as I'm considering buying the 18" wheel and tire package from Tesla and was curious about installation/storage options. Some things to note:

1. There is a mobile service installation option. They contract out to a third party and there's a fee based on distance. They didn't tell me what it would be.
2. Tesla has seasonal tire storage, but it's $200/season (ouch.)
3. I asked whether they knew if the tires would fit in my Model 3 trunk. They weren't sure but doubted it. Apparently some folks tried to put tires in their Model X and it wouldn't fit.

I guess that means either paying for mobile service or seasonal tire storage, OR monkeying around with putting tires in the back seat for the drive home.

Fold the back seats down. Unless you’re talking about seasonal storage in your trunk? If so are you mad, man? lol jk

TBH, I didn’t clue in that the rear seats fold down. Sweet.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Tesla package last week. Aside from charging my credit card upfront, I haven’t seen any indication of when they’ll be ready. I figure it’s still likely better to have the OEM all seasons on for now, but if I don’t hear anything within a couple more weeks I’ll definitely start getting nervous.

Reactions: TheLocNar
Tesla mobile service will swap out the tires for free at you home - if we have bought the tires at Tesla shop.
I am waiting for Tesla to come up with winter tires for 20” sport wheels. I want to use the same wheels if possible.

Bumping this. Does this mean that if I buy the 18" aero wheel and winter tire package from tesla.com that they will come for free twice a year to swap the wheels? Assuming I store the other set of wheels at my home.

I have a LR RWD and I’m willing to try it with the stock all season for one season and see how it goes. I would’ve got a set of cheaper wheels and better winter tires instead of what tesla is currently offering. But is it true that the service center will not service any vehicle with aftermarket wheels?

As a life long Subaru driver, coming into RWD in December in Chicago has made me realize why winter tires are a thing. My garage is on an alley that is poorly plowed (and the plow loads banks of snow about a foot high right in front of the garage), and after the winter storm we just had, I had to shamefully Uber to work on Monday because I couldn't get more than a few feet out of the garage. Real tragic.

I don't want the Pirellis Tesla offers, and I don't want to have fitment or TPMS issues with aftermarket wheels, so I called the nearest service center and got a price on just the 18" wheels with TPMS included (no tires, caps or aeros). It's less than what I'm seeing on eBay for a full set of OEMs and less than other decent quality wheels+TPMS I've seen online. And I can pick them up at the SC this weekend, no shipping.

I'm trying to find the Blizzak WS80s for my mid-range 3 but a few places are saying they aren't available for the M3, but I swear I've seen posts talking about them. I use those on my 2004 Mach 1 and think they're great, but guess I could go with the xIces if I have to. Anyone know if the Blizzaks are available for the M3?

Hopefully the OEM wheels + tires of my choosing combo is a success!

As a life long Subaru driver, coming into RWD in December in Chicago has made me realize why winter tires are a thing. My garage is on an alley that is poorly plowed (and the plow loads banks of snow about a foot high right in front of the garage), and after the winter storm we just had, I had to shamefully Uber to work on Monday because I couldn't get more than a few feet out of the garage. Real tragic.

I don't want the Pirellis Tesla offers, and I don't want to have fitment or TPMS issues with aftermarket wheels, so I called the nearest service center and got a price on just the 18" wheels with TPMS included (no tires, caps or aeros). It's less than what I'm seeing on eBay for a full set of OEMs and less than other decent quality wheels+TPMS I've seen online. And I can pick them up at the SC this weekend, no shipping.

I'm trying to find the Blizzak WS80s for my mid-range 3 but a few places are saying they aren't available for the M3, but I swear I've seen posts talking about them. I use those on my 2004 Mach 1 and think they're great, but guess I could go with the xIces if I have to. Anyone know if the Blizzaks are available for the M3?

Hopefully the OEM wheels + tires of my choosing combo is a success!

What did they quote you for the rims & TPMS?

Finding winter tires this time of year is tough. Most are sold out. If you can find the X-Ice, they're great. Blizzak are excellent at first, but seem to have a short useful life.

I bought the package from Tesla (for convenience and to have factory wheels) and I'm regretting it so far. For $2k I would have hoped they had picked a good winter tire, but my experience so far is that the Perelli's aren't nearly as good as the 7-year-old Blizzak's I still have for my BMW 5-series.

My strong recommendation is to buy other tires, even if you get the factory rims.

Agreed. I also like the bridgestone blizzak in addition to the X-ice. My worry too about the regular tire store damaging the car; though being in a state without a tesla presence I may have to use tire stores like discount or belle. I wonder if anyone around here has experience with tire stores for the other teslas (s or x) for winters swapping.

How much does Tesla charge for winter swaps of entire winter sets vs swapping just winter tires onto the existing rims?

Oh well this is all academic till I get my car :)
I bought a set of Blizzak LM001 performance snows from TiresPlus (owned by Bridgestone / Firestone) and had them mounted on my Aero rims. I had some concerns about lifting the car, so printed the manual page on how to jack up the car, and explained to the manager that if they jack it incorrectly and puncture the battery they might cause a fire (for some extra drama)...so I think they were pretty careful. It was also funny having to teach them how to open and drive the car with the keycard so they could pull it in to work on it. The tires are great in snow / ice (as expected -- I've had Blizzaks and many other snow tires over the years) and the car seems to be undamaged by trusting it to a lowly tire shop. Whole thing out the door was around $1000 for tires/lifetime mounting and tax.

If you buy their lifetime mounting / balancing (think it's like $15-16 per tire), they will take them on/off rims and rebalance each season (or as much as you want) for the life of the tires -- you also need to buy the lifetime balancing on your summer tires if you plan to have them do the switch every season. They bagged the tires and threw 2 in the trunk and 2 in the backseat...but could have just folded the back seat.

I'm still thinking about what aftermarket summer rims I want, and this gives me some time to figure that out.

I bought the package from Tesla (for convenience and to have factory wheels) and I'm regretting it so far. For $2k I would have hoped they had picked a good winter tire, but my experience so far is that the Perelli's aren't nearly as good as the 7-year-old Blizzak's I still have for my BMW 5-series.

My strong recommendation is to buy other tires, even if you get the factory rims.

The Pirelli’s Tesla sells are “performance” winter tires. They’re probably ok in California for the occasional ski trip, but they’re just not as good X-Ice, Nokian, or Blizzak tires.