Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled vs. Non-Throttled Supercharging Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would imagine the 85s are capable of faster charging longer, but I’ve heard the charge ports on them are a different design that can get hotter, so the taper is more “hard coded” regardless of ambient temperature.

My car charges just as slowly at 95f on a sunny as it does at 75f at night.

Had the 100 pack been composed of "85" type cells, it would still have gotten Tesla's 100 nomination, just ~96 in stead of 102.4kWh.
But extrapolating the 85's peak charge, could have reached 140+kW without even needing to be throttled. Limited only by charge port and perhaps cable?
The new Model 3 seems to charge a bit better. Just over 80kWh total, reaching 110kW. Can we expect this to be better researched to not need throttling in the future, or was throttling implied in offered charging specs, just not (yet) applied?

Tesla is doing stuff, but seems to often do something differen than what would have made the car best as possible. I hope they're not left behind on battery tech. Just low cost and high price doing keep a rolling computer desirable.