Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cop was annoyed. If it was a civilian driver with an extremely short fuse, it could have resulted in a road rage.
The cop is not a civilian. Cops have authority. And that makes them use it or abuse it sometimes.

How many of you tighten up your driving just a little bit when you spot a cop?

Tesla needs to incorporate cop detection in NoA.

“Lane change cancelled and speed reduced - fuzz detected.”
Good thinking.
But Tesla would not have known it was a police car that was behind in the dark. Even we cannot tell from the video.

Reactions: hoang51
Just pointing out that another road user speeding isn't an excuse for cutting them off. Whether cutting people off qualifies as dangerous driving, I don't know.
The tesla that ran into the truck on the road. Yes, the truck was there. That's illegal.
And the Tesla driver rammed into it which is also stupid and wrong.
They were both bad.

The speeding cop was wrong. I look farther behind than FSD, and I do not change lane if there is a fast approaching car even if he will have enough time to react if I change my lane into his.
So the cop and FSD are both bad.

Just pointing out that another road user speeding isn't an excuse for cutting them off. Whether cutting people off qualifies as dangerous driving, I don't know.
Yes and no. Varies by state. In most, You are allowed to make the assumption that a car is going the speed limit when determining the allowed distance to make a lane change. If a person is going well over the speed limit and hit you due to that lane change, that's on them. In fact in some states, no matter what the person in the rear is at fault.

Since there was no wreck, this basically comes down to does that district allow special rules for cops to determine if "being cut off" is a criminal activity. Slippery slope there.

If this goes to court, the Judge will ask to see all photo evidence from both sides.
Will watch them all and then ask to hear both sides.

When OP states that "since I was on Autopilot I did not check my mirrors before changing lanes", it will not help OP's case.

If cop does not show up, most likely the traffic part of the citation will be dismissed.

The treatment that OP experienced after being pulled over will not have anything to do with the traffic citation. It will be adjudicated at a separate hearing.

That is subjective, unfortunately. The officer began accelerating quickly just prior to your lane movement. That probably caused them to abruptly stop their hard acceleration, thus what upset the officer.
Is it possible the officer "quickly" accelerated when the signal started? Or they "quickly" accelerated because they were an ass and seen a car would probably need to legally pass someone? Why the quick acceleration? To me that that requires a valid explanation. I know nothing about legal issues - reading this just aggravates me.

Mine does Auto Lane Change aggressively so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm ticketed some day.

That is a common misconception on what the NOA settings do. If you have it set to Mad Max, that just means it will decide to change lanes sooner than if it was on normal. It does NOT mean that it will be more likely to cut people off, just that the car will try to begin a lane change with a smaller speed differential between you and the car in front of you.

That is a common misconception on what the NOA settings do. If you have it set to Mad Max, that just means it will decide to change lanes sooner than if it was on normal. It does NOT mean that it will be more likely to cut people off, just that the car will try to begin a lane change with a smaller speed differential between you and the car in front of you.
So it is a misnomer. it should be called Antsy Pantsy.

It was after midnight when I very agitated that I was sharing my story. There is only one small revision. The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY. Having reviewed the attached rear and side view videos, it is really not clear what she is referring to since there are two lane changes from the time that she first appears on my rear and side camera. Here is the link to the dropbox video of rear camera: Dropbox - rear_camera copy.mov - Simplify your life. You can see that the cop car first appears in the left hand lane around second 30, shortly after I pulled next to the CarShare vehicle. It takes a while before she decides to pull me over, a couple of hundred meters from my house. I never exceeded the speed limit as FSD no longer allows that on most roads, including the one I was on. Also, please note how the cop was approaching in the left lane at a speed far in excess of the speed limit, before I switched into that lane. She was not responding to call as she had plenty of time to follow and harass me.

I should add the citation gives the time of the moving violation and the time that the ticket was issued. This spanned more than an hour, during which I was harassed and abused -- which I am not showing at the advice of my attorney. One purely editorial and speculative comment. Things turned bad when I asked them to mask up -- as you can see, they approached me and put their face within a foot of mine. I am over 65 and do not want to get sick with covid-19. I live in a very politically conservative congressional district with a tea-party congressman who is very close to our President. Makes me wonder if this was about masking, especially given the behavior of the State Troopers and County Sheriff who just demeaned my insistence to keep a safe distance and mask-up. Wonder where they learned those behaviors from. Certainly not our governor.

Great, you are in clear. Cop is at fault. Get their bodycam/dashcam/dashboard (car) videos as well using open public record.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY. Having reviewed the attached rear and side view videos, it is really not clear what she is referring to since there are two lane changes from the time that she first appears on my rear and side camera. Here is the link to the dropbox video of rear camera: Dropbox - rear_camera copy.mov - Simplify your life.

After looking at the video, i'm pretty sure the cop has suspicions raised when your right turn signal was on for ~70 seconds which isn't really normal (from 1:22 to 2:30 ish) Of course it's typical when using autopilot and the car is trying to find a gap, but that isn't exactly normal for a human driver - especially after you just moved into the left lane a few moments before.

Really glad you shared the video, i think this is a case of Autopilot not behaving how a human normally would and a cop being on the look out for potential drunk drivers. Still think it should get thrown out with this video, but get a lawyer.

Is it possible the officer "quickly" accelerated when the signal started? Or they "quickly" accelerated because they were an ass and seen a car would probably need to legally pass someone? Why the quick acceleration? To me that that requires a valid explanation. I know nothing about legal issues - reading this just aggravates me.

From the video it seems fairly clear the the cop started accelerating prior to the turn signal going on, but not much sooner. But they also didn't appear to slow down after the turn signal was on. I suspect they either didn't see the turn signal (maybe they weren't looking at the road!?), or they saw it and hoped the OP would cancel the lane change as they approached.

• Disagree
I've had my FSD autopilot try to cut off cars while switching lanes on the freeway. It always occurs when a car is coming up at a high closure rate, which I could clearly see in the side view mirror. Autopilot will initiate the turn signal, and still try to change into that lane while the car behind is closing in at +20mph over the speed limit. I just cancel the lane change by tapping down on the turn signal. Road rage incident, averted.

exactly how I use mine. I think it does a pretty good job, in fact my wife thinks it does a better job than me because it indicates for at least 5 seconds before changing lanes. Plenty of time to see if someone is closing in rapidly. I used to have vibrate and sound notification alerts set for lane changes now it’s just on vibrate. Back to the cop, what the hell was she don’t passing on the right? I think you got her on a bad day or she’s just a crappy cop. Good luck.

OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!

post em if ya got them

• Funny
I was driving up on a two lane divided highway with Navigate on Autopilot activated (I have FSD) and in the left a lane as I was approaching my exit. The car rather abruptly changed lanes so it could exit. After we exited, I was pulled over by a State Trooper who said I cut her off. I was given a citation for reckless driving. Things deteriorated from there when she kept me there for an hour, and three other cops showed up sirens and lights blazing as they put me through a battery of questioning and sobriety tests as well as a breathalyzer. I had not drank anything. Only 1 of the 4 would was wearing a mask, and they would not mask up. Anyway, I won't go into the details of that story, other than I am thinking of hiring an attorney about the harassment and endangerment since I am 66. But the reason I am writing is that I was wondering if there is any way to recover the video from first, the incidents with the cops, and second, when autopilot changed lanes and supposedly cut off the cop. Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes, which obviously was a mistake on my part. But I have to go to court to fight the ticket, and it would be great to have video of the lane change.

Since when is it against the law to change lanes in front of an officer's car. Oh no, they had to hit the break. If the Tesla had enough room to make a lane change, then they were far enough away.

Oh, well. i’d say it does look like you cut him off at the 1:00 mark in the video. He was probably running your plates and evaluating your driving for more evidence of DUI in the mean time.

But it’s cool you have video.

After looking at the video, i'm pretty sure the cop has suspicions raised when your right turn signal was on for ~70 seconds which isn't really normal (from 1:22 to 2:30 ish) Of course it's typical when using autopilot and the car is trying to find a gap, but that isn't exactly normal for a human driver - especially after you just moved into the left lane a few moments before.

That is not against the law. Are you saying that people that forget that their blinkers are on for an extended amount of time is breaking the law?

That is not against the law. Are you saying that people that forget that their blinkers are on for an extended amount of time is breaking the law?

No, i'm saying that cops will look for whatever they consider abnormal behavior and then find a reason to pull you over and investigate further - especially on 4th of July. Also not saying that it's right, but it seems to be reality in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.