Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am increasingly finding this all a little suspicious... Without the videos, I'm about to cry foul. The OP said, "The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane." That sounds to me as if he may have made a very abrupt exit at high speed. Regardless of whether or not the car stayed in its lane, that CAN be construed and ticketed as reckless driving... Show me a video that proves otherwise or I'm calling it guilty.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!

I want to hear how this plays out. I strongly feel you were pulled over because of a Tesla badge if all played out like you stated above. Cant wait to hear how the courts feel! Awesome for getting all the footage!

Being a cop is all too often a "good enough" reason. Good thing the OP has video showing what happened. . .
Op has not shown videos. I think he is thinking about selling it to CNN.

OP, don't sell it to CBS, the dumbest “news” channel. Lol. They had hospital employees line up as patients to make it appear as if a lot more people showed up for COVID testing than there were. Lol.

It was after midnight when I very agitated that I was sharing my story. There is only one small revision. The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY. Having reviewed the attached rear and side view videos, it is really not clear what she is referring to since there are two lane changes from the time that she first appears on my rear and side camera. Here is the link to the dropbox video of rear camera: Dropbox - rear_camera copy.mov - Simplify your life. You can see that the cop car first appears in the left hand lane around second 30, shortly after I pulled next to the CarShare vehicle. It takes a while before she decides to pull me over, a couple of hundred meters from my house. I never exceeded the speed limit as FSD no longer allows that on most roads, including the one I was on. Also, please note how the cop was approaching in the left lane at a speed far in excess of the speed limit, before I switched into that lane. She was not responding to call as she had plenty of time to follow and harass me.

I should add the citation gives the time of the moving violation and the time that the ticket was issued. This spanned more than an hour, during which I was harassed and abused -- which I am not showing at the advice of my attorney. One purely editorial and speculative comment. Things turned bad when I asked them to mask up -- as you can see, they approached me and put their face within a foot of mine. I am over 65 and do not want to get sick with covid-19. I live in a very politically conservative congressional district with a tea-party congressman who is very close to our President. Makes me wonder if this was about masking, especially given the behavior of the State Troopers and County Sheriff who just demeaned my insistence to keep a safe distance and mask-up. Wonder where they learned those behaviors from. Certainly not our governor.

Last edited:
At 1:15 you cut her off. Was there a car in the right lane to pass? Why did NOA change lane into the left lane when the cop was accelerating ? The fish eye camera makes it look farther than it actually was. I can see why the cop was triggered and started following you.

even then they should be catching the real criminals. These petty traffic stops do lead to catching drug dealers and criminals with outstanding warrants and what not. However, as soon as OPs record checked out, he should have just gotten a verbal and let go. I guess the OPs reaction might have led to the outcome.

At 1:15 you cut her off. Was there a car in the right lane to pass? Why did NOA change lane into the left lane when the cop was accelerating ? The fish eye camera makes it look farther than it actually was. I can see why the cop was triggered and started following you.
Yes there was a car in the right lane in front of me going far below the speed limit. Additionally, in reviewing the the car had the left turn signal on as it was switching lanes and at a leisurely pace -- again moving forward at the speed limit -- and the cop comes barreling up the road at what I am sure was far in excess of the speed limit.

Last edited:
You can tell officer accelerated just before your turn signal came on. The officer probably saw you needed to change lanes to pass the car in front of you, and wanted to pass you before you could change lanes and block her, but the NOA beat her to it, and cut (pissed) her off. I’d try to get the officers dash cam footage that shows the officers vehicle speed.

good luck.

It’s certainly odd behavior. You change lanes into the left lane when there is a car closing relatively quickly and then immediately turn the right turn signal back in indicating that you’re going to get back into the right lane without passing anyone at that point so it looks like you pulled into the left lane specifically to slow the car in the left. Then you pass one car, pull even with a truck, slow down behind it and get over eventually(remember, this whole time your right turn signal has been in since shortly after you entered the left lane). It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me that the person originally passing you would interpret what you did as only to block them from passing.

Did it warrant a stop? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it appropriate driving? Certainly not. Never argue at a stop. Just take whatever you’re given and argue later if need be. You won’t win an argument with an angry armed person who likely has no interest in anything but being right, but you might in court.

Last edited:

even then they should be catching the real criminals. These petty traffic stops do lead to catching drug dealers and criminals with outstanding warrants and what not. However, as soon as OPs record checked out, he should have just gotten a verbal and let go. I guess the OPs reaction might have led to the outcome.
It does not look like they were cut off to me and the lane change was at a leisurely pace. NOA does not get into the left lane for no reason. If the cruiser had their lights on and where going somewhere then sure.

I hope the OP wins this then sues the PD over the mask issue. Total bullshit.

It does not look like they were cut off to me and the lane change was at a leisurely pace. NOA does not get into the left lane for no reason. If the cruiser had their lights on and where going somewhere then sure.

I hope the OP wins this then sues the PD over the mask issue. Total bullshit.
I absolutely did not cut anyone off. The vehicle was changing lanes, not abruptly, to pass the car in front of me, when the cop came up on me at a speed far in excess of the speed limit. The lane change was a result of the slow speed of the vehicle in front of me. Furthermore, after passing the slow moving car in front of me, the car needed to get into the right lane to make the exit. But, it was not going to exceed the speed limit. So, it waited for the truck on the right to pass in order to get into the right lane in time to get to the off ramp. The only alternative to that maneuver would have been to speed ahead of the truck in excess of the speed limit. If I was not on NOA, I probably would have done so. But NOA is more cautious and prudent.

I absolutely did not cut anyone off.

That is subjective, unfortunately. The officer began accelerating quickly just prior to your lane movement. That probably caused them to abruptly stop their hard acceleration, thus what upset the officer.

Unfortunately the “unsafe lane change” bit is a subjective one. By yourself, you probably won’t beat it. With an attorney, the prosecutor will probably plead you down to something without points.

Here, in your neighbor state, we have a statute called “Operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner.” You’re allowed to plead down to it - it carries no points (the first two times) but an extra $250 surcharge to the state. Used by prosecutors very commonly to avoid points associated with speeding tickets or other moving infractions. If you get that offer, it’s usually best to take it and avoid the points.

Last edited:
I absolutely did not cut anyone off. The vehicle was changing lanes, not abruptly, to pass the car in front of me, when the cop came up on me at a speed far in excess of the speed limit. The lane change was a result of the slow speed of the vehicle in front of me. Furthermore, after passing the slow moving car in front of me, the car needed to get into the right lane to make the exit. But, it was not going to exceed the speed limit. So, it waited for the truck on the right to pass in order to get into the right lane in time to get to the off ramp. The only alternative to that maneuver would have been to speed ahead of the truck in excess of the speed limit. If I was not on NOA, I probably would have done so. But NOA is more cautious and prudent.

I'd suggest that the cop's speed was irrelevant. That is, it doesn't matter whether they are speeding. It matters whether you made a maneuver that forced them to brake, and whether you should have know that it would force them to brake.

EDIT: There's also a question of how the Tesla executes the maneuver. For a proper lane change the turn signal should be on for at 2 seconds before the maneuver, so that other drivers have appropriate time to react.

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy
Status
Not open for further replies.