Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal UI - Shuffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
weird experience today, only know because i had the Up Next showing. It started randomizing my playlist. Normally the up next would show the next song like normal but started being random. Might have been just the car reading the songs randomly but seemed random enough. I didn't see a shuffle option but really was curious why they didn't add it before launch. I don't think it's thats hard to add a shuffle feature to a new music app in the car.

Upvote 0
It's stupefying how "shuffle" is not in the UI. As in so ridiculous that there is NO WAY I thought it wasn't there, I just assumed I couldn't find it. But nope. Not there. Crazy.

I also signed up for Tidal, since there is still no Apple Music. Sound quality is very good, but I often get tracks that just get stuck loading. This isn't just in the Tesla, but also in the app & on the desktop version. It's the same songs too, so it's not a bandwidth issue.

It is possible for Tesla to add AppleMusic without adding CarPlay, and I don't understand why they aren't doing so. Unless Apple sees it as a reason someone might buy one of their way off in the future electric cars (Project Titan). If so, how foolish.

Upvote 0
It's stupefying how "shuffle" is not in the UI. As in so ridiculous that there is NO WAY I thought it wasn't there, I just assumed I couldn't find it. But nope. Not there. Crazy.

I also signed up for Tidal, since there is still no Apple Music. Sound quality is very good, but I often get tracks that just get stuck loading. This isn't just in the Tesla, but also in the app & on the desktop version. It's the same songs too, so it's not a bandwidth issue.

It is possible for Tesla to add AppleMusic without adding CarPlay, and I don't understand why they aren't doing so. Unless Apple sees it as a reason someone might buy one of their way off in the future electric cars (Project Titan). If so, how foolish.
I’ve had the same issue even after deleting and re-adding the same playlist. 3-4 tracks just won’t preload and it’s crushing to the experience when they start playing. Glad I’m not crazy.

Tidal has discount subscriptions available for major categories that drops the cost almost 50%. They also have an option to extend the free 30-day trial to 60 for [i think] $3.99. If you love high quality audio I would strongly encourage you to check it out!

The crispness of the high hat and snare, the pluck of the guitar strings, and the breath of the artist make it a real experience.

Upvote 0
how's the Tidal quality? I have Apple Music via bluetooth -- is Tidal that much better? I was going to subscribe today
I had the tidal service which offers high quality files. I downloaded them to the tesla via an option in the tesla tidal Ui. My pal and I compared tidal playing back hi quality downloaded media to Bluetooth streamed Apple Music and thought tidal sounded better but Apple Music via Bluetooth audio wasn’t horrible either since we are not audiophiles . But that being said, the Bluetooth quality of Apple Music was good enough and apple’s apps are superior to tesla apps so I discontinued tidal since I can’t listen to music on an awesome sound system in my own home.

Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Upvote 0
Is there a way to report this frustration to Tesla? I've seen folks randomly suggest things to Elon Musk on Twitter and then he seemingly agrees to implement them. Has anyone with a Twitter suggested it to him? Maybe we can do an online petition and have some popular Tesla Twitter influencer tag him on it?

Upvote 0
Is there a way to report this frustration to Tesla? I've seen folks randomly suggest things to Elon Musk on Twitter and then he seemingly agrees to implement them. Has anyone with a Twitter suggested it to him? Maybe we can do an online petition and have some popular Tesla Twitter influencer tag him on it?
Ask YouTuber Ryan Shaw to mention lack of shuffle in his channel. This week he mentioned an issue he was having with new cloud profiles feature in his video & Tesla UI team contacted him the next day. I guess someone on the team watches his channel or someone at Tesla informed the team. Ryan also likes tidal. No guarantee Tesla will respond. I’m a software engineer & know it takes a while for management to approve us working on seemingly easy items which would also delight our users/clients.

I ended up just putting my favorite audio on a usb stick. The usb audio player has shuffle. I use lossless flac format when possible or higher quality mp3. This eliminates a round of Bluetooth compression at least. If you have a 2022 model y or 3 there are ways to update the center usb-c so they support data (I did if this in January 2022). Many threads about that already. You can also buy larger usb-a device and partition it in to two smaller hard drives, one for music & one for dash cam/sentry. A few threads on that exist.

Upvote 0
how's the Tidal quality? I have Apple Music via bluetooth -- is Tidal that much better? I was going to subscribe today
“Normal” Tidal streaming quality (premium connectivity) beats anything streamed over Bluetooth. If you are connected to WiFi, Tidal plays (most songs) in lossless FLAC which is noticeably better. It also stores the HiFi song for subsequent plays. I’ve connected my MYP to my iPhone hotspot to play entire albums in HiFi, although it does use a lot of my hotspot data allocation. There are some older threads pondering how much storage is available in Tesla memory for the HiFi songs, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer.

Upvote 0
There are some older threads pondering how much storage is available in Tesla memory for the HiFi songs, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer.
I'm still waiting on that answer. In my info menu on Plaid, it says 0 mg Infotainment Memory. I'm not sure what this means, since I am able to download whole albums using wifi, and it holds that file for later playback. Lately it says the space is full. does this spill out to a bigger SSD drive if I had one?

Upvote 0
I just started a Tidal trial and discovered the "no shuffle" dilemma in Tidal. What I am trying is this: Take a playlist I created and start Shuffle play in the Tidal Windows app. Then I take the queue (which at this point is just my playlist shuffled) and save it as a new playlist. Then I did it again, so I have three versions of the playlist that I can access in the car, and I can rotate between them.

I have a single, large playlist that I use as "radio" and I just don't want to hear the same 10 songs at the beginning each time I start it. My plan is to occasionally create more shuffled versions and maybe delete older shuffled versions.

This is not ideal and kind of kludgy but we'll see how it works.

Upvote 0