Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal, y u no shuffle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea about shuffle, but I'm curious about how it works. In the release notes is says you have to download playlists over wifi. Is that the only way? Or does it work when tethered to your phone or over the premium connectivity? I don't have the software update yet, and my Tidal subscription was cancelled ages ago but I'll resubscribe to give it a try.

Is there any way to confirm the bitrate you are getting? Is it MQA?

I don't know how to transfer Qobuz playlists, but I'll figure something out.

I have no idea about shuffle, but I'm curious about how it works. In the release notes is says you have to download playlists over wifi. Is that the only way? Or does it work when tethered to your phone or over the premium connectivity? I don't have the software update yet, and my Tidal subscription was cancelled ages ago but I'll resubscribe to give it a try.

Is there any way to confirm the bitrate you are getting? Is it MQA?

I don't know how to transfer Qobuz playlists, but I'll figure something out.
You set up a Tidal account to work with it. You can make your own playlists but I just imported mine from Spotify. It doesn’t stream from your phone but uses the Tesla connection. It seems to download when connected to WiFi but then available when you’re driving, on HiFi. It has a HiFi light that comes on when it’s playing at that level. That’s 1411 kbps from what I looked up, but not MQ. Spotify is 320 kbps so the difference is amazing. The Tesla immersive sound really shines with it. Such a richer and warmer sound.

Jealous! I might sign up for tidal if the quality in car is substantially better.
It’s easy to compare once you have it as you can flip between the same track on Spotify and Tidal. Tidal HiFi is uncompressed cd-quality sound. As I said above, it’s not only richer, but also warmer (a tube amp quality, but without distortion). The drawback that I started this thread about, is that there is no option on the Tesla interface to switch between playing tracks in order or shuffling like with Spotify. The Tidal app has this feature so I don’t know what gives.

I do appreciate that we will finally, finally have CD quality in 2021! When did I first get that??? 1987?

And it still won't play in hi-res?

Right now I'm playing The Pretenders over Qobuz in 24/96 and it blows away the CD version, and this was originally recorded in 1980.

Meanwhile I've been listening to perfect quality FLACs since I got the car in 2018 via a USB stick.

And it'll even shuffle.

The fact the tidal thing appears to only let you DL via wifi, then I guess plays whatever you downloaded locally is kind of interesting...in that the car doesn't really have THAT much local storage on its own... I wonder what the limits it's imposing are there.

Reactions: RichardL
Meanwhile I've been listening to perfect quality FLACs since I got the car in 2018 via a USB stick.

And it'll even shuffle.

The fact the tidal thing appears to only let you DL via wifi, then I guess plays whatever you downloaded locally is kind of interesting...in that the car doesn't really have THAT much local storage on its own... I wonder what the limits it's imposing are there.
Yeah I'm still not getting it. No one is really explaining how it works yet. Don't tell me what Tidal is. I know what Tidal is. Tell me how it works in the car.

Is the streaming or is it download at home then you can only listen to download tracks? Where does it keep the downloaded files? How many songs can it download? etc, etc.

Reactions: CSGeekme
I do appreciate that we will finally, finally have CD quality in 2021! When did I first get that??? 1987?

And it still won't play in hi-res?

Right now I'm playing The Pretenders over Qobuz in 24/96 and it blows away the CD version, and this was originally recorded in 1980.
Blame streaming services and people that thinks 128kps MP3s are good enough.

Reactions: CSGeekme
It doesn't seem that anybody really knows all of the technical details yet. Those will be revealed sooner or later but in the meantime I'm waiting for the software update. What I do know is that MQA requires software to do the first "unfold" to extract the hi-res data, and then needs a hardware DAC to do the second unfold that is the real "magic sauce" of MQA. A third unfold can then add the magic mushrooms to the pizza. MQA is a solution looking for a problem IMHO. We already have the bandwidth to stream full hi-res without all this. I highly doubt Tesla will implement MQA, but we don't really know much yet.

No one has done a good video of how it works yet? (Streaming vs Download) and quality differences? I'm totally switching from spotify if it streams in a higher bitrate than what we're getting currently

I just got 40.6. Can confirm that it has Tidal and it sounds WAY better than when I use Tidal from my phone connected to the car via Bluetooth. I will now go and drive and see if streaming works. From looking at the interface it looks like it does BUT it does have a download button for my Mixes.

I guess i'll go give it a try now.