Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal, y u no shuffle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kinda confused that the people who insisted loading lossless music on local storage, as those of us enjoying high quality music in their teslas for years have done, wasn't an acceptable solution are now thrilled they've added an option to let you..... load worse than lossless onto local storage and play it from there, with the added cost of a subscription.

That's just USB music with extra steps (and less quality)
First of all, most people don't have music ripped from CDs sitting on a hard drive, and that was the primary source of music on drives. If I had 10,000 CDs that would be all I could listen to. That sounds like a lot, but what about the new albums? And ripping CDs itself is an issue, computers don't have drives anymore because it is OBSOLETE. Second, the streaming services don't just download to a hard drive and let you do what you want with them. You can't put them on a stick because of copyright laws. They allow you to download music for offline listening but only through the service software. If you don't have an account you can't listen to them. You may be able to get around this by downloading everything and killing your account and using the software when not connected. There may be a time limit on this though and the link would expire. Third, I get all the new music I'll ever want over streaming. Much of it I listen to once and never again. Some of it has become my favorite. Fourth, the services offer suggestions on other music to hear. I don't always agree with their selection but that's why we sample. Fifth, it is lossless CD quality. Is your FLAC any better? I'd love 24/96 FLAC but in the car it may not matter. It is not "just USB music with extra steps". And just what is USB music? I play DSD256 over USB. That's 4x the quality of an SACD, which is itself very high quality.

You've been arguing about flac on a stick since I joined this board. It's obsolete. Get over it.

First of all, most people don't have music ripped from CDs sitting on a hard drive, and that was the primary source of music on drives.

Naah.... tons of folks got music on drives from tons of other sources (I hear Apple made a buck or two selling digital music for example- plus folks from back in the napster days :p)

If I had 10,000 CDs that would be all I could listen to. That sounds like a lot, but what about the new albums?

What about them? They sell NEW music too ya know. LIke, to actually own.

And ripping CDs itself is an issue, computers don't have drives anymore because it is OBSOLETE.

Right- which is why you buy a digital copy to start with.

It sounds like your knowledge of obtaining owned music stops around 1996 or something.

Second, the streaming services don't just download to a hard drive and let you do what you want with them. You can't put them on a stick because of copyright laws. They allow you to download music for offline listening but only through the service software. If you don't have an account you can't listen to them. You may be able to get around this by downloading everything and killing your account and using the software when not connected. There may be a time limit on this though and the link would expire. Third, I get all the new music I'll ever want over streaming. Much of it I listen to once and never again. Some of it has become my favorite. Fourth, the services offer suggestions on other music to hear. I don't always agree with their selection but that's why we sample.

I mean, I get using streaming to find entirely new stuff you'd never have heard of otherwise... .but at that point there's 2 paths:

1) It sucks, you don't like it, you won't want to hear it again, and the fact it's not HIGH quality isn't really relevant.

or

2) It's good, you DO like it, and WILL want to hear it again. In which case owning it might be worthwhile. And you can do so in max quality too.

Fifth, it is lossless CD quality. Is your FLAC any better?

Yes, it is (or rather it can be, depends what the master was of course)

. And just what is USB music?

It's music... played off a USB drive.... which can be as high quality as you wish, since the car will natively play entirely lossless HQ formats like FLAC.

Not sure how that's confusing to you?

Plus- unlike Tidal apparently... USB music can be shuffled :p

You've been arguing about flac on a stick since I joined this board. It's obsolete. Get over it.

Apparently it's not, since it keeps giving me fantastic lossless results I'm happy with- and you keep being mad about the low quality streaming you're listening to.

Thus I've been enjoying perfect quality music for years- and you still aren't and still appear upset about it.

I don't think I'm the one needing to get over something :)

Spotify and slacker sound terrible imo.
@Knightshade I don't mind listening to music on USB but in my old age this means I listen to the same stuff over and over. No new music. The interface is better in Spotify/tidal/slacker then USB music as well..

See above for my thoughts on using streaming to discover new stuff you might like, then owning it if you do since you'll want to hear it more in the future and can insure doing so at highest quality easily that way.

FWIW I've got hundreds of gigs of HQ music-- so "same stuff over and over" is a LOT of listening before I'd hear the same thing twice if I just went through it song by song.

I am somewhat confused about many of the comments in this discussion about streaming music and the quality of the music. It is my understanding that to use the Tidal app in the 2021.40.6 you have to tether your car to wifi and then you can download the music from Tidal. I did this connected to my home wifi and downloaded a playlist from my Tidal Hifi (not Plus), which should all be lossless flac files. I started playing the downloaded songs (sounded great) while still connected to my home wifi. As I drove away the music STOPPED with an error message to either connect to wifi or subscribe to premium connectivity. When I tethered the car to my phone wifi I could play the downloaded music. I thought this Tesla app would work like other streaming iPhone apps where you can play downloaded music when not connected to wifi. Tesla engineers make some strange decisions. Also a vote for shuffle option. not necessary for albums but definitely a must for playlists.

When you downloaded, did they all appear with the HIFI box on the playlist? Did the little spinner turn green, and I think a check mark appears?

If it requires premium connectivity just to confirm that you are a Tidal subscriber, that makes it unavailable to a large group of people.

I had some problems downloading myself due to the wifi from my house. I either have to move the router closer or get an extender so it reaches the car. This is no different from anything else I do outside my house. The wifi drops off dramatically once I move away from the house. If I get 2 bars I consider myself lucky in the car.

When you downloaded, did they all appear with the HIFI box on the playlist? Did the little spinner turn green, and I think a check mark appears?

If it requires premium connectivity just to confirm that you are a Tidal subscriber, that makes it unavailable to a large group of people.

I had some problems downloading myself due to the wifi from my house. I either have to move the router closer or get an extender so it reaches the car. This is no different from anything else I do outside my house. The wifi drops off dramatically once I move away from the house. If I get 2 bars I consider myself lucky in the car.
Yes the downloaded files all had a hifi icon. Yes, all the songs in the playlist did download on my home wifi. I don’t have premium connectivity but I did have to tether the car WiFi to my phone hotspot to be able to play the downloaded music. I have not had a chance to look at data usage on my phone. I do not think it is streaming over my phone but I wonder what the data usage for the car itself will be when it is wifi’ed to my phone hotspot.

Yes the downloaded files all had a hifi icon. Yes, all the songs in the playlist did download on my home wifi. I don’t have premium connectivity but I did have to tether the car WiFi to my phone hotspot to be able to play the downloaded music.
I do have premium connectivity. I found when driving a couple of days ago that Tidal wouldn’t play back previously-downloaded (HiFi) tracks when I was in an area that I didn’t have LTE connectivity at all for a while.

So what I think is Tidal is using the premium connectivity to check your eligibility to play back the previously-downloaded tracks and not currently caching this entitlement or storing it at the time of doing a download or other interaction with the Tidal servers with a subscription end date.

I do have premium connectivity. I found when driving a couple of days ago that Tidal wouldn’t play back previously-downloaded (HiFi) tracks when I was in an area that I didn’t have LTE connectivity at all for a while.

So what I think is Tidal is using the premium connectivity to check your eligibility to play back the previously-downloaded tracks and not currently caching this entitlement or storing it at the time of doing a download or other interaction with the Tidal servers with a subscription end date.
That kind of defeats the purpose of downloading. I took the NYC subway to work every day and we don't have a connection underground but I was always able to play the downloaded music. I thought it would at least allow the files to be available for a time period without a connection.

That kind of defeats the purpose of downloading.
Agreed completely. If how it looks to me when I am in a no-cell-service area - and to the other poster without premium connectivity - is correct, I can only guess that (1) it is a version 1.0.0 problem that needs fixing, and (2) the developers and beta testers all have premium connectivity so just didn’t notice it doesn’t work properly without that connectivity.

I still have a support ticket open with Tidal for downloads stalling/sticking (seemingly because they pause them when they think the download speed is too slow then - unlike the mobile apps - there is no way to manually kick it to try again, and it seems to be hours/days before they will restart by themselves). If they ever get back to me on that (sigh) I might try to ask about the seeming requirement for live connectivity to their servers whenever playing back previously-downloaded tracks.

Agreed completely. If how it looks to me when I am in a no-cell-service area - and to the other poster without premium connectivity - is correct, I can only guess that (1) it is a version 1.0.0 problem that needs fixing, and (2) the developers and beta testers all have premium connectivity so just didn’t notice it doesn’t work properly without that connectivity.

I still have a support ticket open with Tidal for downloads stalling/sticking (seemingly because they pause them when they think the download speed is too slow then - unlike the mobile apps - there is no way to manually kick it to try again, and it seems to be hours/days before they will restart by themselves). If they ever get back to me on that (sigh) I might try to ask about the seeming requirement for live connectivity to their servers whenever playing back previously-downloaded tracks.
Glad you have ticketed this to Tesla. This version of the Tidal app is lame to say the least. Tesla engineers really don’t anticipate real world usage of their apps. i can only think Elon is ton deaf and has no concept of high quality music streaming. It is all AM radio to him.

One other question that arises with using Tidal. The MQA Masters need to be "unfolded" to be anything better than lossy 13 bit digital music unlike lossless 16 bit flac files. Does anyone know if the Tidal Tesla app is doing the unfolding like the Tidal desktop apps or Roon?

Glad you have ticketed this to Tesla. This version of the Tidal app is lame to say the least. Tesla engineers really don’t anticipate real world usage of their apps. i can only think Elon is ton deaf and has no concept of high quality music streaming. It is all AM radio to him.
Do you think Elon has the time to care about Tidal's sound quality or bit rate vs the million other things he has to deal with?!

That's why I've always said the Tesla should not be developing third party apps itself. They should just make a tightly locked "app store" and allow certain companies to develop for it. Then the end users will have more options and can choose which app they really want. Most poeple don't need all those games in the car. If it was just an app store end users can uninstall and install apps they want.

In this app store I would like Crunchyroll, a better Tidal app, Waze, a better browser app, etc.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Did a little test tonight. With the car tethered to my phone hotspot I played music for 20 minutes using a Tidal HiFi account (not plus) with just selecting play in the Tesla Tidal app. It used ca. 170 Mb of data, about right for flac lossless files. I then downloaded the same playist and then played it for 20 minutes with the car tethered to my phone hotspot. Without premium connectivity I have to have the car tethered to the phone hotspot or the downloaded music will not play. It used less than 1 Mb of data. So probably just staying connected to Tidal to validate the user. This value did not change for the the last 5 minutes so I don’t know the data usage per minute in this mode.
I contacted Tidal about “unfolding“ MQA files from the HiFi Plus account. The Tesla app does NOT unfold the MQA files so it plays lossy music from MQA files since 2-3 bits of the standard 16 bit flac file are consumed by the MQA encoding.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Anyone managed to successfully download a playlist with over 194 songs? The playlist actually has 724 tracks in it when you view it in 'My Collection' but inn the download section it only shows 194? and it doesn't even have the remaining songs showing awaiting to be downloaded?

Anyone managed to successfully download a playlist with over 194 songs? The playlist actually has 724 tracks in it when you view it in 'My Collection' but inn the download section it only shows 194? and it doesn't even have the remaining songs showing awaiting to be downloaded?

Hmm i wonder if you hit the limit on capacity. Can you download other songs outside of the playlist?

Is it just me or Tesla seemed to restrict the downloading masters songs to the Tesla? Also does anyone know where the music is being downloaded to yet? Car or removable usb/ssd drive?
I asked Tidal directly about the Tesla Tidal app and it will not unfold MQA (Masters) files. Still cannot get a definitive answer from Tidal about the music quality when Tesla tries to download and/or play an MQA file. I have some of them in my playlists but haven't explored any further.

New update from the UK, 3 days' into using Tidal in the Tesla Model 3 (2021 model)
1) Can now download Albums/Tracks with no issues. This seemed to have been fixed overnight. One whole album (57mins) took about 1-2 mins to download. Came up as "HiFi" quality. And I do presume downloads are stored with the Car's main computer in coded form
2) If you have Tidal selected, you can now use Voice Activation which will link you to the Tidal site. So, I said "Play Bon Iver" and all the Tracks/Albums by Bon Iver came up for selection and Playing within Tidal. Previously, it seemed to default to Spotify
3) Sound Quality is amazing. I have a Tidal HiFi subscription at home for my domestic HiFi system, and am very impressed by what I was hearing in the Tesla
4) Live Streaming appears to work fine (this will depend on where you live and drive, of course)
5) Still no option to shuffle tracks, from a Playlist, for example, but early days yet. This may be fixed if enough people raise this issue

So far, so good. Are there any other Tidal experiences out there worth sharing, folks?

Reactions: DelPhonic1