Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tighten your lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All - be aware that Testa does a poor job in tightening lug nuts out of factory. Also, it does not provide a wrench to do it in the middle of the road. If you hear increasing roaring noise, stop immediately and check if any of the wheels is loose. In my case I found 4 (!) more loose lug nuts in addition to the 5 on the rear wheel that was about to take off. It's best to check all wheels while in the garage.

All - be aware that Testa does a poor job in tightening lug nuts out of factory. Also, it does not provide a wrench to do it in the middle of the road. If you hear increasing roaring noise, stop immediately and check if any of the wheels is loose. In my case I found 4 (!) more loose lug nuts in addition to the 5 on the rear wheel that was about to take off. It's best to check all wheels while in the garage.

129 ft lb of torque. Use a torque wrench.

Oh wow, didn't know they had a problem with it. Do you really need to use a jack up the car for just tightening up the lug nuts?

Also, how are you supposed to use a floor jack and a jack stand at the same time, since there's only one jacking point per wheel?

This certainly is not a common problem. This is the first instance I’ve heard of lug nuts being so lose, they are about to fall off.

Unless you have a “V” shaped jack, you can’t put a stand under it using the jack points.
There are other jack stands that sit on the jack as well.

Was this a new car off the lot, or fresh from service ?

Oh wow, didn't know they had a problem with it. Do you really need to use a jack up the car for just tightening up the lug nuts?

Also, how are you supposed to use a floor jack and a jack stand at the same time, since there's only one jacking point per wheel?
If you are asking if you need to jack up the car to check torque on the lug nuts, you should prob have an actual mechanic work on your car. Just sayin.

Mine were definitely not 129ft-lbs. Just a guesstimate, but based upon my experience and how many more clicks I had to turn my lug nuts, I'd guess around 100ft-lbs when I got my 3. No, they weren't going to fall off, but definitely not to spec.

There are actually other threads talking about this.

If you don't have a torque wrench, 129ft-lbs is alot. Probably as hard as many people can tighten a lug by hand.

The work around is to jack up the whole side of the car and stick a stand at the other jack point. You then have to leave the jack on that wheel. So jack up back enough to raise front wheel, insert stand.