Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for a new (used) SUV but think budget prohibits MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to move on from our 2013 X5 with 107,000 miles and look for a preowned SUV for my wife. Found a near perfect 2016 Range Rover Sport with warranty till 2/2023 has 36k miles for 39k. Obviously the ideal goal is to get a MX but not sure that will work for us right now. I'm pretty nervous about buying a 16-17 MX because all I read about it how much better the newer cars are in numerous ways.

So I am curious what you guys think. Would a 2016 or maybe 17 MX be a better choice than a 2016 RR Sport? Battery and range would be key, a 60 or even 75 just wouldn't work for us. Or would it??

My mind is all over the place. Don't think the 75 is enough range but read the 90 has major deflation issues. This is going to require some serious homework, or maybe I am over thinking this too much.

I know the MX is the better choice but we currently are without a charger until our home is completed. Our X5 is literally falling apart by the minute so I don't have much time to make a decision.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that while the RR has a warranty (which is great because you’ll need it), it’s gong to spend a ton of time in the shop! Their infotainment leaves a lot to be desired as well. It’s too bad because they’re amazing cars, but only when they’re working lol. At least if a Tesla needs service they will fix most things in your driveway!

From what i understand, the 75D is almost the same as a 90D in terms of real world miles. The 90 will say it gets more, but is less efficient and get much less range than it says. The 75 will get much closer to the rates miles, as long as you don’t get the 22” wheels.

My S85 with the 21” wheels gets around 80-85% of the rated miles if i baby it. I’ve had a couple of S75D loaners and i could punch it all day long and still get very close to the rated miles!

Someone else that has had more experience with X’s should chime in though

Regardless, I would stay away from the RR. It’ll give you even more problems than the X5

X75 was a great value package. They 'Uncorked" a bunch of them to give faster acceleration at no charge to owners. Some came with Unlimited Free Supercharging, and that can transfer from a private sale. Range is pretty good, they came with excellent air suspension and available in 5,6,7 seating configurations.

They are reliable and great family/touring vehicles. They need to stop more often on the longer trips, but most do not find that a burden, when you realize the charge is for FREE!.

There might be some nice used 75X out there as Some owners are changing up to the latest 100 Raven Long range models, as they have many improvements, but the 75X still has most all the classic Tesla goodness.

Have a Nephew with a Range Rover. Only way he can get out of it is to trade it in for another new Range Rover. Resale is brutal. His has been in the shop more than on the road.

Reactions: EVortex
How does one even begin to answer this post?

If you're on a budget, get a Jeep Renegade or a Honda Pilot.

Why would you feel compelled to buy a high level electric vehicle (or any high level SUV) when you're afraid of range issues, afraid of price issues, are unsure of your needs, and owned a prior vehicle that could not be more different?

While my buddy loved his Range Rover's,I think he is the only one. I think they are overpriced and have too many issues. IMHO

Yes, I own an X, but I also have a Military HMMWV and a Durango for those times where range is an issue.

If this is your only vehicle, chose wisely

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
They are going quickly, I've been checking multiple times a day to see what's available.

The main issue, I believe, is our home renovation is not completed and won't be for 2-3-4 months and our current living situation does not have a charger. The house is 10 minutes away and theoretically we could go there as needed to charge if the electrician can install the charger (already have a 220v for the dryer in the mudroom as you walk in from the garage). No close superchargers and the local shopping centers do not have chargers.

I don't want to buy an X and have no where to charge it for a few months yet I don't want to buy a Range Rover all because of the charging situation for a few months.

Wife leans towards RR because of the convenience of gas stations, no range anxiety, etc. yet when we/she test drove a MX she quickly said it was the best car/SUV she's ever been in or driven.

Also concerned the MX will be 2016, although so will the RR.

Last edited:
It's just not the right time for us to get the MX, no where to charge, lower trade from tesla, unknown shipping cost and the MX will be at least 12-17k more. If it was for a 2019 100d then its a different story. But 12-17k more for a 2106 MS 75d....just doesn't feel right to me.

Now on to the next. M3 for me now because i am impatient or hold out for the MY?

It would be helpful if you gave us a budget. If you have a hard cap at $40k then yes your options for an EV SUV will be very limited. Maybe you could look into the Ford Mach E when it comes out... with the federal rebate it should be right around $40k. Or wait a year until used Model Y's start to hit the market.

If you can go up to $53k then I would recommend just going for a new Model Y - it comes with all the newest tech and is only marginally smaller than an X. IMO that is a way better option than a 3-4 year old model X that will have out of date tech, way less range, and most likely some little gremlins lurking under the hood.

It would be helpful if you gave us a budget. If you have a hard cap at $40k then yes your options for an EV SUV will be very limited. Maybe you could look into the Ford Mach E when it comes out... with the federal rebate it should be right around $40k. Or wait a year until used Model Y's start to hit the market.

If you can go up to $53k then I would recommend just going for a new Model Y - it comes with all the newest tech and is only marginally smaller than an X. IMO that is a way better option than a 3-4 year old model X that will have out of date tech, way less range, and most likely some little gremlins lurking under the hood.

Don’t have enough time to wait for the Y but I agree, that would be ideal. Our X5 is literally falling apart, trade is 8500 and it needs 2500-3k in repairs. Can’t roll the dice and think the X5 will last more than 3 weeks tops.

Budget....not set on an absolute amount but I think 60k is about it. That’s 20k more then the RR not including the shipping, less on the trade (2400 less via Tesla) and then the additional taxes on the difference.

If you beat up a robust vehicle like a 2013 X5 to the point where it can't last another three weeks, you will have your @$$ kicked by the Range Rover. Buy a Ford F-150 or a Jeep or a GMC or Denali and stop kidding yourself.

A Model X is not for you.

I think your goals and understanding of what you need are unrealistic.

MY sounds like the best option, but if the timing is not right then M3 is not bad. If there is any way to solve the timing issue (rent, baby the X5, borrow a car, etc.) then MY. Interior is smaller than MX, especially width. Interior length and height are pretty good. Now that they offer a hitch, that also provides more functionality. I wish you all the best - let us know what you decide to do. I have a 2013 GLK and am also considering MX or MY.