Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from conformation to start of production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me if they are in the same situation as me, its been 7 weeks since I confirmed my order and it is still scheduled for production. I think it is now increasingly unlikely that I will get my car this year, just before I ordered it stated likely delivery date of late September, then as soon as I placed the order it went to late November - December.

I now know that the order site is a bit optimistic (outright lie), I am now past the original estimated delivery window and it has not even entered production. I have spoken to the delivery team and they have said that it looks like it is an unusually long time but have no explanation, and can't give me an answer as to why it is taking so long..

I have seen the delivery spreadsheet and even from that it looks like I am one of the unlucky ones. Anyone else ordered early August and the order has not progressed?

I wonder if you've been caught up in the Model 3 situation. That's bound to have had an impact, despite what they might say to the contrary. If it goes into production within the next couple of weeks I think you'd probably just about get it by the year end, although year end is not a good time to take delivery.

Is there anything in the inventory that is close to your spec? It's also worth asking them as there seems to be cars magically made available at times. If there is you could get your deposit switched across to one.

I wonder if you've been caught up in the Model 3 situation. That's bound to have had an impact, despite what they might say to the contrary. If it goes into production within the next couple of weeks I think you'd probably just about get it by the year end, although year end is not a good time to take delivery.

Is there anything in the inventory that is close to your spec? It's also worth asking them as there seems to be cars magically made available at times. If there is you could get your deposit switched across to one.

Yep thought that by ordering when I did I would not get caught up in the end of quarter rush ah well, but you are right badly timed for the model 3 situation.

Not a lot on the inventory at the moment and nothing that is close to what I want for the interior or options, I will ask though. Its just frustrating I would be happy if they could give me a reason for the delay but the people at delivery just don't know.

Have you pushed with your DS to confirm whether that is really true? The online status in 'my tesla' seems to have at least some element of manual updating rather than being a direct reflection of the factory status, so can sometimes be misleading.

Unfortunately yes I have asked the DS to check and it defiantly still scheduled for production.

I feel your pain. My timeline looks like this so far:

07/08/17 - Your order is confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.

15/09/17 - Your Tesla is currently in production.

29/09/17 - Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from our Fremont factory to the port within the United States.

So mine was just over 2 weeks to enter production. 7 weeks seems excessive though - what have you ordered?

Mine is an X 75D, PUP, 7 seater multipattern, EAP, metallic silver, standard wheels...

Mine was order confirmed 30/10 and entered production 22/12. I was given 3 anticipated “going into production” dates none of which were accurate. The only consistency seems to be the inconsistency.

@CotswoldS3X you can at least now be pretty confident of a handover before the madness that is the year end.

I feel your pain. My timeline looks like this so far:

07/08/17 - Your order is confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.

15/09/17 - Your Tesla is currently in production.

29/09/17 - Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from our Fremont factory to the port within the United States.

So mine was just over 2 weeks to enter production. 7 weeks seems excessive though - what have you ordered?

Mine is an X 75D, PUP, 7 seater multipattern, EAP, metallic silver, standard wheels...

Ordered August 9th confirmed 14th August. Model S 75D Black leather interior, EAP, Midnight Silver and standard wheels. Thought this was more or less the most commonly ordered option across the range.

Mine was order confirmed 30/10 and entered production 22/12. I was given 3 anticipated “going into production” dates none of which were accurate. The only consistency seems to be the inconsistency.

@CotswoldS3X you can at least now be pretty confident of a handover before the madness that is the year end.

If my order is anything like yours then I am hopeful that it will go in to production soon when was yours finally delivered I am expecting 60 days or so from completion of production to delivery.

@PBV240

Don't know about the spreadsheet, looks like it's owner/buyer maintained though so I guess your car won't appear until you add it.

When I ordered my S it showed Nov-Dec for a while, then when I confirmed it immediately jumped to late Dec-Jan. I have a Lexus RX to sell / part-ex & the price Tesla has given me is rubbish so was thinking of selling privately but Xmas is *not* the time to be selling a car ... neither is Jan :( So, now wondering whether to push out the delivery or try to sell my car early & run a rental for a couple of months??

WOW! I didn't even notice. That's a tough decision. I hope you figure it out. I need mine before January so I can take advantage of the $7500 EV credit, before the US government decides to take it away because they don't believe in climate change...