Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to DIY PPF!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Heat gun is really not required. Slip to position, squeeze and stretch from center, and a light spray of isopropyl alcohol at edges to final bond and dry out any slip/water for tight seal. Hood should have been first test.

The one video I saw of the guy doing the headlight said he doesn’t use alcohol tack solution for the headlights cause it causes yellowing of the PPF. He said he used hot water instead.

That’s what probably messed me up. Is alcohol solution strong enough to keep fingers from popping up?

The one video I saw of the guy doing the headlight said he doesn’t use alcohol tack solution for the headlights cause it causes yellowing of the PPF. He said he used hot water instead.

That’s what probably messed me up. Is alcohol solution strong enough to keep fingers from popping up?
mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Spray that and it'll tack it down and stay and fingers won't pop up.

Reactions: Manbutter

That’s the purpose of having excess slip (soap and water solution). If there’s enough and your hands are clean there will never be finger prints. I also keep my hands and fingers sprayed so there is no adhesion.

You don't need hot water. Just use the tack (alcohol) solution. I didn't even follow exact mixture ratio since tackiness will differ based on the temperature, PPF film, and so on. Just mix 70% water (I used distilled water), and 30% (70% alcohol) and test it first and see if you need more alcohol or water into the mix. even pure water will make it tack anyway, but alcohol mixture will help to tack the alignment points and edges faster, so you can work on the other areas.

I couldn't find any decent one on Amazon.

kitcutz.com

They are top notch XPEL dealer in Canada and will ship to the US. Precise cut and delivered as promised with good price.
I second that. I followed Nate’s recommendation and tracked him down off ebay to get a better price. Great communication from Alex and was able to make some modifications (extend edge around wheel arches), no sensor precuts. Precut kit arrived in good condition. Total of $1400 for the entire car kit including headlights and tail lights.

There were one or two issues though: all four doors ppf was about 1mm too short. I had hoped that I would be able to wrap it around the bottom edge for full protection. The second was that the cutout for the door handles and side cameras was also 1mm too large on all four sides. Which is unsightly and my nails always seem to catch the PPF when I’m reaching to open the door.

Otherwise, a great reseller. No doubt you can ask him to correct these little things on yours.

But think twice before DIY’ing it yourself. I mucked it up royally and had to hire someone to finish the job for me.

Last edited:
I second that. I followed Nate’s recommendation and tracked him down off ebay to get a better price. Great communication from Alex and was able to make some modifications (extend edge around wheel arches), no sensor precuts. Precut kit arrived in good condition. Total of $1400 for the entire car kit including headlights and tail lights.

There were one or two issues though: all four doors ppf was about 1mm too short. I had hoped that I would be able to wrap it around the bottom edge for full protection. The second was that the cutout for the door handles and side cameras was also 1mm too large on all four sides. Which is unsightly and my nails always seem to catch the PPF when I’m reaching to open the door.

Otherwise, a great reseller. No doubt you can ask him to correct these little things on yours.

But think twice before DIY’ing it yourself. I mucked it up royally and had to hire someone to finish the job for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Also did you attempt this right when you got your car, or was it months after?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Also did you attempt this right when you got your car, or was it months after?
I got my car at the end of September. Drove it 29 miles and parked it in my garage for a month before installing it. (Had been thinking of selling it because I really didn’t feel comfortable affording it at the time but ended up not being able to sell it).

So basically a new car with a little dust that I washed off panel by panel to do the install.

I got my car at the end of September. Drove it 29 miles and parked it in my garage for a month before installing it. (Had been thinking of selling it because I really didn’t feel comfortable affording it at the time but ended up not being able to sell it).

So basically a new car with a little dust that I washed off panel by panel to do the install.
This help. Thank you for the clarifications. May I ask how much it cost you to have someone else finish the job?

Guys, a quick question.

Someone door ding'ed my Model Y: a big dent on the door is repaired w/o repainting.
I am glad that PPF did its protection job perfect!
But, I have to replace the PPF after removal.

The shop I got mine from is not operational for a while.
Where do you order your precut PPF from?

I need a precut PPF (3M Pro Series) for one door only.

Can you guys help me out? I cannot figure out how these driver’s side mirror PPF pieces go together. I labeled them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

I think 3 is the horizontal top side black wing. No idea about the other 4 pieces.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: kitcutz told me 1 = 4+5. 1= 1 piece mirror or 4+5 is the 2 piece mirror if you want the seam. Still not quite sure what 2, and the strip to the right of 3 is.

Attachments

• 15CEA862-F398-498D-9B46-5DC117608676.jpeg
    15CEA862-F398-498D-9B46-5DC117608676.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I don't meant to sabotage a thread, I just got new 2023 Model Y with no front sensors, anyone here can guide me on which brand to choose please ? i would like to wrap a full vehicle. I'm debating Xpel - Stek - Suntek Reaction.