TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

TIO.com to pay monthly payments

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by c615586, Jun 6, 2017.

1. c615586

c615586 Member

Does anyone have experience using tio.com (formally chargesmart.com) or other similar services to pay their monthly lease or purchase payments?

Thinking about doing this to get points/cash back on my Amex.

Thanks in advance.

2. KArnold

KArnold Member

And not to hijack a thread, but could the service be used to pay more of the down payment beyond the initial $2.5k? I'm not familiar with TIO - do they charge for these services? It would be very nice to get CC points out of this somehow.

3. TSLA_maybe

TSLA_maybe Member

I just checked some of my billers and the associated fees on some of my average balances. The fees are pretty steep and more than the value of the points I would get back.

4. c615586

c615586 Member

Unfortunately it looks like the fees aren't disclosed until you actually make a payment, which is not very cool. My Amex only gives me 2% back on purchases, so any fees over 2% kill the deal.

I guess I'll just do automatic bill pay from my checking account.

5. nickl630

nickl630 Member

I used Tio once to do a large payment on my auto loan to get the initial 50k sign on bonus. Fee was I believe around $40 on a 4k payment. Not too bad.

6. TSLA_maybe

TSLA_maybe Member

That's not bad depending on which CC you use. I checked my taxes, utility and auto loan provider, fees were 2-4 times the value of the points I would get back on a Chase Sapphire Reserve so not worth it for me.