Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips/Tricks to getting firmware updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had several instances last year when Tesla had difficulties pushing updates to our car - in multiple locations. We had one instance when they spent 24 hours trying to get an update to install at the service center, and gave up, only for the update to install when we got home.

One time the failure caused our car to be put on the "do not update" list on their server - meaning that the server would no longer even attempt to send updates to our car. This happened without any notification in the car or via e-mail. After not getting an update for a while, I only discovered this by calling Tesla phone support. When they checked the logs, they discovered this and then set up a service appointment for the Service Center to manual force a software update.

Our S P85 is now running the new navigation software. Our S 100D hasn't seen an update for several months.

Based on what happened last year, I will be calling Tesla today and have them verify the problems from last year aren't happening again.

If customers are concerned about getting software updates, you should contact Tesla. That's the only way they will be able to collect those concerns and justify making improvements in the release process and providing owners more information about when they'll be receiving releases.

If customers are concerned about getting software updates, you should contact Tesla. That's the only way they will be able to collect those concerns and justify making improvements in the release process and providing owners more information about when they'll be receiving releases.

I did this at the start of this year (2018)...it turned out that my car had a "stuck" download that needed some attention. The two bits of advice I would have for people who have that "old software" feeling are: 1) Make sure you're pretty far down in the tail of update distributions on the TeslaFi firmware tracker, or that it's been a long time (longer than a couple months?) since you've had a software update. In other words, be able to justify some reason for calling Tesla for help. 2) Try calling the tech support line (a.k.a. roadside assistance) rather than going to a service center.

Bruce.

PS. Someone upthread was still running a 2017 build...they might be a good candidate for calling tech support now (mid April 2018). You want to eliminate the possibility that there's something wrong with the vehicle that might manifest itself as the inability to do a software update.

I was lagging on getting 42.x, and I had to stop by two service centers to try to replace a key card. I tried to connect to both wifis, but couldn't due to weak signal, and one even asked for a password. However, sure-enough, just after I got home and connected to my home wifi, the update came through.

I was lagging on getting 42.x, and I had to stop by two service centers to try to replace a key card. I tried to connect to both wifis, but couldn't due to weak signal, and one even asked for a password. However, sure-enough, just after I got home and connected to my home wifi, the update came through.

So now we're suggesting that "not connecting to service center wifi" is a way to force an update?

• Funny
Reactions: TexLaw
I am still at 39.6. My garage is detached and so no WiFi signal reaches it. None at work either. Not having any issues other than browser not working, which for me is not huge.

95% of the Swiss and Austrian Tesla Users are still on 8.1 - nobody knows why. SeC says the 2 Service Cars received it and V9 has been withdrawn (at least in Switzerland).

I received 2018.36.2 yesterday after a SeC visit (coming from 2018.32.4 from September)

-> see also Software Update 2018.42.x for teslafi-statistic data of v9 on S/X per country

Not to sound like a smart aleck but for me, timely updates might be due to recently getting the car (leased on 3/18), I use AP whenever practically possible and, I am indeed Leasing just in case anything really significant happens (major redesign, new league tech, etc.) in which case I would turn in this car, so perhaps they wish lessees the best experience so we would keep our cars at the end? Just my personal thoughts about possibilities but yeah, I have received Every published update so far.

Not to sound like a smart aleck but for me, timely updates might be due to recently getting the car (leased on 3/18), I use AP whenever practically possible and, I am indeed Leasing just in case anything really significant happens (major redesign, new league tech, etc.) in which case I would turn in this car, so perhaps they wish lessees the best experience so we would keep our cars at the end? Just my personal thoughts about possibilities but yeah, I have received Every published update so far.

Probably not. I have a 2014 S that’s well beyond its warranty and get updates almost immediately when they come out.

The update roulette is a bit of a disappointment for such a great car, it’s totally random, or obscure enough that it feels random. I got 39 a couple of days after it came out, and now I’m still on 42.2, even though the car is on WiFi every night and most of the day. More feedback from the system, like “stuck download”, “you are #3568 in line for the update”, or even “ask for update” button (!), will go a long way to make all of this much more pleasant.

• Funny
Reactions: FlyinLow
Incorrect.

We installed 2018.42.8 yesterday (over cell signal), and apparently there are 3 other versions in the wild that are newer than 42.2 (42.2.2.1, 42.3, 42.4).

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Per Teslafi everything after 42.3 is model 3 only.

44% of the fleet is on 42.2.

That’s about as current as it gets. There is no documented difference between 42.2 and any later releases on the Model S. This is not a “disappointment” scenario.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow
42.2 is the current release. You’re not missing anything. No reason for disappointment.
The disappointment is about how the firmwares are rolled out, slow and random, not about this or a specific firmware. Getting updates are a big part of the car’s experience, and surely their data center can handle 200,000 cars over a week or so, I think I read somewhere that they are using Amazon cloud, which can definitely handle that kind of load.

The car is so great, I just want it to be even better!

The disappointment is about how the firmwares are rolled out, slow and random, not about this or a specific firmware. Getting updates are a big part of the car’s experience, and surely their data center can handle 200,000 cars over a week or so, I think I read somewhere that they are using Amazon cloud, which can definitely handle that kind of load.

The car is so great, I just want it to be even better!
Guess I misunderstood, as it seems you were disappointed that you were “still” on the most current software release.

It’s not about load. Pushing an update to 200,000 cars at once sounds like it will make things even better, until that update has an undetected issue that cripples the whole fleet.