Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIRE...FOAM OR NO FOAM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the M3 mid-range we installed Michelin Crossclimate +, with out foam. We can't detect any difference in noise, probably because wind noise still dominates. Efficiency looks like it may be down 1% or 2%, although the mileage is still too low to be sure about efficiency. Dry pavement handling is very much better.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
On the M3 mid-range we installed Michelin Crossclimate +, with out foam. We can't detect any difference in noise, probably because wind noise still dominates. Efficiency looks like it may be down 1% or 2%, although the mileage is still too low to be sure about efficiency. Dry pavement handling is very much better.
I would appreciate your evaluation of the tire after a bit more mileage. I’m considering this tire as well. My primary concern is efficiency as noise does not seem to be an issue with this tire.

You had MXM4s previously?
Please keep us updated if you determine it’s more than 1 to 2% efficiency reduction.

My MXM4 are still in good shape at 23K miles but not a ton longer. I don’t really want to lose any more miles then I’ve already seen. 10 to 15% reduction seems crazy to me for some of the sportier tires out there. I live in southern AZ so really don’t need AS but don’t need sporty and don’t want to lose much efficiency.

The foam might reduce some resonant frequencies in the tire (e.g. a ping sound hitting hard cement), but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall noise issues with the car.

I would avoid foam simply because it makes it harder to repair the tires. I moved to Pilot Sports and do not find the PS sound to be more annoying than the Primacy.

Car and Driver - tested the foam vs non-foam on the Model S (Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? – Feature – Car and Driver) you can read it but the main takeaway is..."If the effect appears small by our sound-meter measurements, it seemed even smaller when measured with our eardrums. We struggled to discern any significant improvement,...".

This pretty much represents my experience, I didn't think to measure the sound level and frequency before so I can only offer a subjective opinion. And that is that the tire swap I did had no affect on the noise inside the car on both streets and highways.