Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure high on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my M3 LRAWD for a few days. What I noticed most is it is very bumpy and it seems to ride hard. So I decided to check the tire pressure. All four tires (19 inch) registered 50 PSI. The door sticker shows a recommended pressure of 42. Why did Tesla deliver car with incorrect tire pressure?

VERY likely the tire pressure was checked and adjusted when the air temp was cold(er) and then the temp went up due to either the air warming up or the tire warming up due to driving. I had my tires filled to 46 on a warmish day and they were 40 in the morning. If you don't worry about it, nothing will happen anyway. Think of how many people never even know what their pressure is.

The M3 has a harsh ride. 42 pounds is still hard. Coil springs don't help. It's much bumpier than my S which also had 46 pounds, but I never check after filling. A leak will appear as a notice on the screen, so it's safe no matter.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and SigNC
I remember when I took delivery of my S a few years back, it was the same. I simply forgot to check this one right away. I dropped the pressure to 44. Now I am dealing with a rattle sound coming from behind the rear view mirror. I suspect it comes from the camera cover. Sounds like a loose screw rattling in the assembly.

I have the 18" Michelin MXM4's and have found 44 psi stone cold to be perfect. I run a bit more in the winter and haven't found the ride to be harsh at all. When my tires heat up from sunlight/driving, they rise to around 47-48 psi (as measured with an air pressure gauge). That's right where I want them. The 19" and 20" wheels might be different or ride more firmly.

I understand earlier 3's had 45 as the recommended cold PSI..

my SR 18" Michelin MXM4's is 45. June build. Max is 50PSI

Pressure was also high (55! on delivery) rough enough for me to notice, but not have a blow out in AZ heat (thankfully) Maybe I should mention on survey (do they even read/respond? )

Lowered thru Discount tire says the car guage is bit off (now says 43-4) . Should I re calibrate ?

c
I have the 18" Michelin MXM4's and have found 44 psi stone cold to be perfect. I run a bit more in the winter and haven't found the ride to be harsh at all. When my tires heat up from sunlight/driving, they rise to around 47-48 psi (as measured with an air pressure gauge). That's right where I want them. The 19" and 20" wheels might be different or ride more firmly.

do you trust Tesla guage?

c

do you trust Tesla guage?

My TPMS seems pretty accurate but the pressures do drift by a pound or two between different tires and it is not designed to compensate for changes in altitude like a traditional pressure gauge does. I always set the pressure using the same pencil-style gauge for all four tires because you will always get better consistency between the tires using one instrument rather than a different instrument for every tire. I use the TPMS to check the pressures every morning when I leave home to ensure there is not a slow leak in one of the tires and this also gives me an idea of how any seasonal temperature changes are affecting my pressures. If everything seems in order then I don't need to check them manually but I always use the manual gauge to set pressures and I get them as close as possible without paying any attention to the TPMS.

I have been driving my M3 LRAWD for a few days. What I noticed most is it is very bumpy and it seems to ride hard. So I decided to check the tire pressure. All four tires (19 inch) registered 50 PSI. The door sticker shows a recommended pressure of 42. Why did Tesla deliver car with incorrect tire pressure?
Even the 42 psi can be bumpy, and even centrewear, because advice is given for actiradius of battery.

I have to calculate it , but probably even 30 psi is enaugh for savety of tires, up to top speed and fully loaded.

It's normal for cars in transit to have high pressure to help prevent tire damage during transport. Someone forgot to check before delivery.

Even the 42 psi can be bumpy, and even centrewear, because advice is given for actiradius of battery.

If you want a smooth ride, buy one of the trim levels that come with the 18" wheels and Michelin tires. They ride smoothly up into the mid-40's PSI.

I have to calculate it , but probably even 30 psi is enaugh for savety of tires, up to top speed and fully loaded.

Do not run 30 PSI, your grip in corners will be severely compromised, tire life will be very short and it will handle like a dog.

My car had 52 psi on all 4 tires. The car was built barely a week before delivery to me, so this is straight from the factory. I also told the service center not to detail my car, so they didn't touch anything on it.

Also while we're on the subject of off spec from the factory - check your lug nuts. My car had 88 lb/ft on all wheels. It should be 129 lb/ft.

Long range, March 2019 build.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My TPMS seems pretty accurate but the pressures do drift by a pound or two between different tires and it is not designed to compensate for changes in altitude like a traditional pressure gauge does. I always set the pressure using the same pencil-style gauge for all four tires because you will always get better consistency between the tires using one instrument rather than a different instrument for every tire. I use the TPMS to check the pressures every morning when I leave home to ensure there is not a slow leak in one of the tires and this also gives me an idea of how any seasonal temperature changes are affecting my pressures. If everything seems in order then I don't need to check them manually but I always use the manual gauge to set pressures and I get them as close as possible without paying any attention to the TPMS.

Thx. changes in altitude for sure since I was @ 12K feet, now @ sea level over the weekend.

After I lowered my tire pressure to 45 psi, now a window came out showing all my 4 tires pressure as 39 psi. I released the pressure while all 4 tires were cold. So, why the discrepancy? The window would not go away. How do I make it disappear?
Thanks.

Swipe right on the little pop up window. What gauge did you use the verify the pressure when you lowered it?

As the ambient temp gets colder the the pressure will drop. Any significant changes in temp when you modified the pressures?

What is the pressure COLD? If 45 psi it can reach 50 on a hot day. 45 is over spec but not that terrible. Also TPMS can be off a pound or two.

Set at 42 psi cold I hit 47 on hot days.