Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire repair kit and sound absorbing foam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DIY Monkey Grip type rubber plugs plus glue will work pretty well on foamed tires.

The advanced rubber plugs that tire stores use will have an adhesive backed rubber patch that will make a tight seal in addition to the rubber dart that goes into the hole. In this case the foam liner will need to be cut out or ground down to make for a secure patch. Tire stores are well versed in these types of repairs.

There is an early reply, you cannot just plug it like regular tire. You have to open it and then cut the foam, plug it and then put the foam back. I think the shop just don’t want the hassle and any liability later…
You can plug it from the outside exactly the same as a regular tire. You can plug patch it from inside (as all tire shops do with all tires) just like a regular tire. Except you need to cut the foam out. Basically not much difference. Biggest difference is the Fix-a-flat type goop is less likely to work with the foam.

You can plug it from the outside exactly the same as a regular tire. You can plug patch it from inside (as all tire shops do with all tires) just like a regular tire. Except you need to cut the foam out. Basically not much difference. Biggest difference is the Fix-a-flat type goop is less likely to work with the foam.
How do you cut the foam out without unmount the tire? How do you unmount the tire by yourself if you are on the side of the road ? With the regular tire, you don’t need to unmount the tire, right ?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
How do you cut the foam out without unmount the tire? How do you unmount the tire by yourself if you are on the side of the road ? With the regular tire, you don’t need to unmount the tire, right ?
Plugging from outside is exactly the same. You don’t remove the tire (foam or no foam).

Plugging from inside the tire (called a plug-patch) you have to remove the tire (foam or no foam). The only difference is you cut the foam away.

Tire shops never do plugging from outside the tire.

Picked up a sheet rock nail in Baltimore, while traveling. First tire shop (NTB) couldn't lift a Tesla - no jack pads; second tire shop (Mr Tire) lifted it but wouldn't work on the tire due to the foam on the inside. So we added air and drove it to NY. I arranged for Tesla Service to flatbed transfer to the nearest service center, in Mount Kisco, where they fixed it. $100 for basic repair, checked the other tires, etc. then I had to catch a ride for an hour to retrieve it.
Should have just plugged it myself and that will be my plan next time. Why are tire shops unfamiliar with foam in the tires? and why couldn't they plug it?
Look at the bright side...the first tire shop (NTB) knew enough to say they don’t have the jack pads...you wouldn’t have wanted them to realize that they needed the pads after they lifted your car😎

Picked up a sheet rock nail in Baltimore, while traveling. First tire shop (NTB) couldn't lift a Tesla - no jack pads; second tire shop (Mr Tire) lifted it but wouldn't work on the tire due to the foam on the inside. So we added air and drove it to NY. I arranged for Tesla Service to flatbed transfer to the nearest service center, in Mount Kisco, where they fixed it. $100 for basic repair, checked the other tires, etc. then I had to catch a ride for an hour to retrieve it.
Should have just plugged it myself and that will be my plan next time. Why are tire shops unfamiliar with foam in the tires? and why couldn't they plug it?
Tire shops don’t plug tires from the outside.

They have to cut the foam out. Probably just don’t want to deal with it. Worried it might leak then you come back wanting it fixed or it causes problems. If done right it’s no different. But is more time consuming.

Reactions: android04
Tire shops don’t plug tires from the outside.

They have to cut the foam out. Probably just don’t want to deal with it. Worried it might leak then you come back wanting it fixed or it causes problems. If done right it’s no different. But is more time consuming.
Going by the videos published on this thread...the tire shop needs to have the foam and glues in stock...if they don’t carry them then they will refuse the work

Tires with acoustic foam can be repaired. Tire shops just cut out the part with the foam and repair it like any regular tire. More experienced ones would know how to cut to preserve the foam, but even if they cut a section off completely it doesn't affect the tire much.
Here's a guide that you can print out or keep on your phone to show to tire technicians.
https://www.rematiptop.com/assets/tech/trm/Reference/Sound-Suppression-Tires-Repair-Guide.pdf

Tires with acoustic foam can be repaired. Tire shops just cut out the part with the foam and repair it like any regular tire. More experienced ones would know how to cut to preserve the foam, but even if they cut a section off completely it doesn't affect the tire much.
Here's a guide that you can print out or keep on your phone to show to tire technicians.
https://www.rematiptop.com/assets/tech/trm/Reference/Sound-Suppression-Tires-Repair-Guide.pdf

Tire repair folks don’t read instructions.

“Joe, just cut the foam out”

Tire repair folks don’t read instructions.

“Joe, just cut the foam out”
It's to show to shops that claim it can't be done. Given it's written by the one of the largest tire repair suppliers, most shops are going to be willing to believe it since more likely than not, they are using one of their products already. They may not listen to you if you claim it can be done.

Reactions: mswlogo
I have another accessory that has a fuse in the plug. Seems like a good idea to fuse it and make it user replaceable. Also, this is the only plug I've seen that's not made of bakelite. I had thought of cutting the connector off and replacing it with a bakelite one fused to 15A. However, the plug is not the only problem. It took some fidgeting with the selector to get it to work. You have to depress the power button (another design problem as its not obvious that its depressed) then move the selector switch to air or slime. It's not indicated or written about, but there are two detents for air. I discovered it by accident. Or maybe the switch is just "lame". Nope ... already sent email asking how to return it. Too bad, I really wanted a Tesla branded repair kit.
The official Tesla tire repair kit is made by Fix & Go, who also make OEM kits for many other brands like Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, etc. If you scroll down on their website you will see a big list, and some of their inflators for other brands look just like the Tesla one Tire Repair Kit for Effective Flat Tire Repair | Fix&Go

I've had the Tesla-branded inflator for more than 4 years and I didn't have issues with the 12v plug even after extended sessions airing up trailer tires that need to be at 95 or 105 PSI. Where I did start having issues after a handful of uses is in the same place you are -- with it shutting off by itself or not starting up unless you mess with the selector knob (or more reliably for me, put pressure for down on the area above the power button). The problem is that it uses a very tiny relay to turn the pump motor on and off when you press the power button. That tiny relay is not up to the task and sometimes you need to press down on it by pressing down on the area right beside the power button in order to get the pump working. I ended up replacing the circuit board and tiny relay in my inflator with a larger 30A relay.

I used up the flat repair liquid early on with a coworker's flat tire. This was before Tesla offered replacement cartridges of the repair liquid. So I contacted both Tesla and Fix & Go to offer a replacement and eventually they did. The second cartridge of repair compound was used on an ATV tire, and I didn't buy anymore. So I never got to test it out on the OEM tires with foam. However, I did use a standard tire plug on one of my tires with foam just like I would on a regular tire and it lasted the rest of the tire's life.

Last edited:
The official Tesla tire repair kit is made by Fix & Go, who also make OEM kits for many other brands like Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, etc. If you scroll down on their website you will see a big list, and some of their inflators for other brands look just like the Tesla one Tire Repair Kit for Effective Flat Tire Repair | Fix&Go

I've had the Tesla-branded inflator for more than 4 years and I didn't have issues with the 12v plug even after extended sessions airing up trailer tires that need to be at 95 or 105 PSI. Where I did start having issues after a handful of uses is in the same place you are -- with it shutting off by itself or not starting up unless you mess with the selector knob (or more reliably for me, put pressure for down on the area above the power button). The problem is that it uses a very tiny relay to turn the pump motor on and off when you press the power button. That tiny relay is not up to the task and sometimes you need to press down on it by pressing down on the area right beside the power button in order to get the pump working. I ended up replacing the circuit board and tiny relay in my inflator with a larger 30A relay.

I used up the flat repair liquid port early on with a coworker's flat tire. This was before Tesla offered replacement cartridges of the repair liquid. So I contacted both Tesla and Fix & Go to offer a replacement and eventually they did. The second cartridge of repair compound was used on an ATV tire, and I didn't buy anymore. So I never got to test it out on the OEM tires with foam. However, I did use a standard tire plug on one of my tires with foam just like I would on a regular tire and it lasted the rest of the tire's life.
Glad you now have a good inflator. I now have a Harbor Freight Pittsburgh inflator.

Pluses: nice carry case that will hold the tire pressure Guage and tire plugs, small, up to 100 PSI, fused to 15A, bakelite plug.

Minuses: instructions state it has to be running before it's screwed onto tire valve stem else it'll blow the fuse, it's Harbor Freight but maybe that's really not a minus based on who the other "branded" inflators are made by.

It's what I have for now. My other inflator before the Tesla branded one was similar to my new on and lasted almost 10 years.

An exterior plug job is going to be fine for most people and situations. Any auto parts store or Walmart will have a kit, as will most gas stations.
Jack up the corner.
Optionally remove the wheel.
A pair of pliers will remove whatever caused the hole.
A roughener reams out the hole to the right size for the gooey filler and removes any extra debris.
An inserter goes in a bit, turn and then pull out, leaving the gooey filler stick in.
Cut off the excess and then refill with air.
Drive happy.