Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Repair Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your Model 3 is equipped with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires with acoustic foam, then the Tesla repair kit with “slime” sealant will not work. The sealant cannot penetrate the acoustic foam layer to reach the puncture. For more info refer to the Michelin website.

You need a plug kit + air compressor, or a spare tire kit, or use a roadside towing service (Tesla Roadside Service or AAA or similar).

There are several threads already on this topic.

Last edited:
If your model has tires with acoustic foam, Michelin Primacy MXM4, then the Tesla repair kit with “slime” sealant will not work. The sealant cannot penetrate the acoustic foam layer to reach the puncture.

You need a plug kit + air compressor, or a spare tire kit, or use a roadside towing service (Tesla Roadside Service or AAA or similar).

@tvad
Question: How would you know if your model had acoustic foam? First I've heard of this anywhere.

If the car is equipped with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, then they have a layer of acoustic foam. Refer to the Michelin website.

Most model 3's come with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, and yet Tesla sells the tire repair kit mentioned above with no disclaimers or qualifiers. I suspect Tesla's kit will work on it's cars - maybe not the generic green slime you see sold retail, however.

EDIT: Just checked Michelin site and my Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires - No Acoustic stamp on my tires as is shown in the generic Michelin acoustic web page. Only a "Green" stamp.
Michelin Acoustic Technology

Last edited:
Most model 3's come with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, and yet Tesla sells the tire repair kit mentioned above with no disclaimers or qualifiers. I suspect Tesla's kit will work on it's cars - maybe not the generic green slime you see sold retail, however.

It will not work. Guaranteed to ruin your acoustic tire too. Even without foam slime doesn't always work and can cause a lot of issues.
Acoustic Foam is in all the OEM Tires on Model 3.

It won't be the first time their shop has misleading information nor the last.

I have no foam in my summer or winter tires, carry a plug kit, a jack and I tossed in a can of Fix-A-Flat just for the heck of it (I think it cost $8).

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: Type 5 and jebinc
657CBE36-9707-4A9A-9F7D-1CE7A6BB7ECE.jpeg

How thick is the foam layer? I'm surprised as these tires are quite noisy...

I don't recall, maybe 3/4 - 1" thick. There are tons of Videos of Tire Shops repairing these.

I agree the Primacy's are not the quietest tire (it's more the car than the tire).

My 18" Aero Winter Xi3's are at least as quiet, if not quieter as well as my 19" Pirelli P7+ are as quiet or quieter. Both without acoustic foam.

A lot of folks think the foam is a crock.

P.S. I added an Aluminum Porsche Scissor Jack to my "Kit" because it might be way easier to plug by removing the wheel or the freedom to turn the wheel, especially if it's real cold out. Ever try plugging a rear tire while mounted, laying down in the snow and pushing really hard into a frozen tire when its 0F out?

I don't recall, maybe 3/4 - 1" thick. There are tons of Videos of Tire Shops repairing these.

I agree the Primacy's are not the quietest tire (it's more the car than the tire).

My 18" Aero Winter Xi3's are at least as quiet, if not quieter as well as my 19" Pirelli P7+ are as quiet or quieter. Both without acoustic foam.

A lot of folks think the foam is a crock.

P.S. I added an Aluminum Porsche Scissor Jack to my "Kit" because it might be way easier to plug by removing the wheel or the freedom to turn the wheel, especially if it's real cold out. Ever try plugging a rear tire while mounted, laying down in the snow and pushing really hard into a frozen tire when its 0F out?

Okay, I’m going to show my ignorance here... are you saying the M3 doesn’t have a manual jack and lug wrench included? I knew no spare tire, but, really?

If your Model 3 is equipped with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires with acoustic foam, then the Tesla repair kit with “slime” sealant will not work. The sealant cannot penetrate the acoustic foam layer to reach the puncture. For more info refer to the Michelin website.

TVAD, Where on Michelin site did you find statement that sealant repairs won't work with acoustic technology. They clearly state use of sealants voids warranty, but I can't find where it says it won't work.

TVAD, Where on Michelin site did you find statement that sealant repairs won't work with acoustic technology. They clearly state use of sealants voids warranty, but I can't find where it says it won't work.

Personally, my guess is why you can't find much info is Michelin doesn't want the Acosutic foam seen as a negative. Nor does Slime, Fix-A-Flat or for that Matter Tesla want the Acoustic Tire difficulties advertised. So, so far they all just say nothing. Really slimy ;)

And on top of that Michelin is very negative about using Slime on any tire (acoustic or not). A lot has to do with liability I'm sure. So even if it did actually work, they would never state it, because now it's a liability if it fails.

Reactions: jebinc