Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All dependent on your driving style, road conditions, etc. Do you launch every chance you get? Do you drive spirted through corners? If you just drive normal, in general, I think the rears will wear a tad quicker than the front. For reference, I drive relatively calmly, very seldom at full load, 90% highway and each time I've rotated my tires they're practically even all the way around maybe less than ~1/2mm difference on rear than front.

BTW, I do wish there was a tire rotation counter in the service menu. Seems like something that's very logical and useful.

Upvote 0
Haha, sure maybe if they let us keep more than two custom trip ODO! My ODOs are already being used for efficiency related points. Having a dedicated counter in the service menu would be much cleaner and something that makes sense since that's the whole point of a service menu.
Remember those small window stickers you used to get when you would go in a get your oil changed?

Use them as tire rotation reminders. Then get Tesla to change their software so that the main odometer is permanently displayed on the screen so you don't have to poke at the menus to get to that number.

I've been keeping an eye on my tires since getting a new set of rears at 13,136 miles. Now at 23,031, so just short of 10,000 miles on them and they look (measure) the same as the fronts. I should be able to get another 10,000 on the rears, assuming I don't run over a nail and then a screw that took out my original tire and made me replace both rears. Then all four will get replaced by something else; probably not the factory MXM4s.

Upvote 0
I rotate the tires every 7,500 miles as it is easy to remember vs the odd 6,250 miles recommended by Tesla. Simple front to back and back to front, no crossing.
Since my wife's Model 3 (SR, single motor) has needed absolutely nothing in 3 years except wiper fluid, I completely forgot to do anything else. (Manual just recommends checking the brake fluid every 2 years.)
When I finally looked at the tires at 42,000 miles, 3 of them were fine and good to go, and the back right tire was halfway to bald. Very stark difference. It really looks like this wheel does 90% of the driving (unless my wife is flooring it on every right turn.) I just replaced all 4 tires and came here to see if there was an onscreen reminder, and I'm a little shocked there isn't one that would be prompted by the mileage. If the thing can tell me my tread depth is low on one tire, it can do that!

If that back right wheel does most of the driving, isn't that an argument for rotating across after rotating front to back?

Upvote 0
In this context, how evenly or unevenly do tires wear on a Model 3 if the tires are not rotated? How different is it for 2WD versus AWD Model 3 cars?
My experience:
My wife's Model 3 (SR, single motor) went 42,000 miles before I remembered, oh yeah, even EVs need some maintenance, including rotating tires. 3 of them were fine and good to go, and the back right tire was halfway to bald. Very stark difference. YMMV, but I wonder if my experience is an argument for rotating across *after* rotating front to back?

Upvote 0
Since my wife's Model 3 (SR, single motor) has needed absolutely nothing in 3 years except wiper fluid, I completely forgot to do anything else. (Manual just recommends checking the brake fluid every 2 years.)
When I finally looked at the tires at 42,000 miles, 3 of them were fine and good to go, and the back right tire was halfway to bald. Very stark difference. It really looks like this wheel does 90% of the driving (unless my wife is flooring it on every right turn.) I just replaced all 4 tires and came here to see if there was an onscreen reminder, and I'm a little shocked there isn't one that would be prompted by the mileage. If the thing can tell me my tread depth is low on one tire, it can do that!

If that back right wheel does most of the driving, isn't that an argument for rotating across after rotating front to back?
Right hand turns are often sharper than left hand turns in countries with LH drive. With someone who is aggressive on the throttle the RR tire can lose grip and cause spin and increased wear.

One wheel drive went away after the model T. The tire with the least traction will slip. Go to an empty parking lot and try this. Turn the wheel hard left and give it some good throttle. What happens? You need to understand how a differential works.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and BigNick
Upvote 0
Just got back from a cross country road trip in my 2022 M3 RWD. Hit the mileage to rotate the tires on the way back home and scheduled a mobile service appointment right away when I got home.

This morning Tesla mobile service came out to rotate the tires but after checking the tread depth the technician told me that I was good and there was no need to rotate the tires yet. Said to schedule another service appointment in 6000 miles.

When I acted surprised he asked it I use Autopilot alot. I do l. He said Autopilot really treats the tires gently and limits wear. Driver's to "really enjoy" their Teslas get through tires much quicker. Good to know.

Upvote 0