TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire rotation

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Redtsla, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Redtsla

Redtsla New Member

Are there any established tire shops around Tampa that I can take my model S to rotate tires? Shops that have worked with Tesla's and know where the jack points are without damaging the battery.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've never had a problem with tire shops and jack points--just make them aware of it. The major problem is the lug nuts. They are covered with an aluminum shell and are damaged if an impact wrench is used. A new set is $100.

3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

America's tire woks on Tesla and knows the specs.

4. Science->Truth

This is very helpful, important info. Can you say a bit more on exactly how to avoid damage? Use manual, old style t-bar wrench? Does every tire shop have them?

5. jerry33

I avoid the damage by doing myself (or the SC does it during the annual maintenance). I use a breaker bar, a torque wrench, a substantial jack, Jackpoint jack stands, and a couple of hockey pucks. Use only 6 point 21mm sockets.

The better tire shops will only use the impact wrench to spin the lug nuts off after they are loose.

6. Redtsla

Redtsla New Member

Thanks guys...very helpful.

7. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Tesla will rotate your tires for free every 5000 miles.

8. jerry33

I think this varies by SC. I've seen posts where some won't.

9. Science->Truth

Really helpful. Thanks much, jerry33.