Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire spin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

antochat

Pearl White P85
Oct 25, 2012
Portland OR
I have a little bit of a strange question. I have a P85, and when I am at a standstill with the traction control off and punch it, I get zero tire spin. I know in the various burnout videos that have been posted, fuses have been pulled to do that. I'm well past the age of doing burnouts but I'm curious that with all the instant torque shouldn't we get some tire spin? Mine will only kick out if floored on a corner. What has your experience been?

I have a little bit of a strange question. I have a P85, and when I am at a standstill with the traction control off and punch it, I get zero tire spin. I know in the various burnout videos that have been posted, fuses have been pulled to do that. I'm well past the age of doing burnouts but I'm curious that with all the instant torque shouldn't we get some tire spin? Mine will only kick out if floored on a corner. What has your experience been?

On a dry road, I don't get any spin. On a wet road, it not only spins, it drifts. (21" tires with < 2000 miles on them).

This is one of the main reasons I want to get my wife into a skid control driving class ASAP. Unfortunately the performance driving school here doesn't teach on the effects of regen yet.

I made one of these videos and only turned TC off and got plenty of wheel spin from a standing start. I have not tried it in a while since I do have a little respect for my tires (and our midwest weather has not been suitable). I don't think they tweaked the software in one of the updates to change its behavior when TC is disabled.

Model S burnout

Very grippy 21" tires plus rougher roads will generate no spin when dry for me.

I can make my P85 spin them on smooth pavement pretty easily when dry. But rougher side streets it grips quite nicely.

Yep, it all depends on the Asphalt (and your tire age). Flooring it from a standstill I get no spin on decent pavement If there is a little bit older Asphalt it will spin a tad at ~ 40mph where the peak torque hits. On brand new Asphalt (still > 115 F) I took off TC and floored it w/ no slip at all. Any bit of turning now while floored and mY TC will kick in a little up to about 45-50 mph

...and This weekend is a Race Driving School in Eureka :biggrin: should be fun

I have P85, and with traction off it does leave a mark :)

Hard to see but both tires leave marks, was my first try with TC off and guess I left 500 miles of tire there...
Was about 60-65 degrees, car had +80% charge - maybe the higher charge has something to do with it.
Like my tires too much to do it again!

IMG_4493.JPG

I have a P85 and just put my summer 21s back on with the Contis.
I cannot get my tires to spin at all with the 21s on, even when i turn off traction control.
Temp is 55-62 degrees and I'm trying it with full standard range charge and pretty smooth blacktop roads.
When I had my 19s on and traction control on, my tires would chirp and car's rear end would sort of hop back and forth when first launching.
But with the 21s it just feels like a Sunday drive kind of launch, even with TC off. Strange.
I'm going to the drag strip Friday to take on my son-in-law and his Caddy CTS-V with 556hp.
Any tips? TC on or off? Hold brake while pressing go pedal right before launch?

I think the Tesla electronics prevent you from touching both pedals.

at times, maybe.
You can definitely exert motor torque and braking torque at the same time. You get one of those doo-doo-doo squawks, but you can do it if you don't want to roll backwards on a hill or something.

There might be limits on how long you can do it or how much motor torque you can get, but the electronics don't make them completely mutually exclusive.

If the electronics did make it so there was no motor torque with both pedals pressed, I would guess that would be useful at a drag strip:
Floor the brake. Slowly press the go pedal. Ignore the squawk. Hope that a motor/brake interlock engages to electronically disable the motor torque. Floor the go pedal. When the light turns green, release the brake. When the interlock disengages, the go pedal is already floored. The electronic interlock probably disengages faster than a human can press a pedal.
not sure if it would matter, though: it wouldn't surprise me if a human can go from not pushing the pedal to fully pressing it in under 0.1 seconds.

One nice thing about Model S is that you can turn off creep so the car doesn't start to move until you're in the process of stomping the accelerator.

at times, maybe.
You can definitely exert motor torque and braking torque at the same time. You get one of those doo-doo-doo squawks, but you can do it if you don't want to roll backwards on a hill or something.

There might be limits on how long you can do it or how much motor torque you can get, but the electronics don't make them completely mutually exclusive.

If the electronics did make it so there was no motor torque with both pedals pressed, I would guess that would be useful at a drag strip:
Floor the brake. Slowly press the go pedal. Ignore the squawk. Hope that a motor/brake interlock engages to electronically disable the motor torque. Floor the go pedal. When the light turns green, release the brake. When the interlock disengages, the go pedal is already floored. The electronic interlock probably disengages faster than a human can press a pedal.
not sure if it would matter, though: it wouldn't surprise me if a human can go from not pushing the pedal to fully pressing it in under 0.1 seconds.

One nice thing about Model S is that you can turn off creep so the car doesn't start to move until you're in the process of stomping the accelerator.

I suspect the ICE method buys you nothing. The car looks at the velocity with which you mash the pedal to design how quickly to ramp up power. So you want NOT be in hill hold mode, set to no creep and then lift up your foot and punch it down quickly! Takes off like a rocket (and it's a puny 85D)

Having said that...I don't do this very often.
Need a very open chunk of road with nobody and nothing around 8)

Talk about old thread revival. It's just for us non-D folks now (the D cars don't let you turn off TC).

I had my P85+ at a local track that ran short (300 ft.) drag races. Thinking it would hook up like it does on the street I turned off TC. Big mistake - instead I did a 300 ft. burnout. Crowd loved it but I lost that race. Maybe on a drag strip it would have worked better but in retrospect, this was an oval track that gets quarts of oil spread around every weekend from the stock cars.