Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear 2021 Model 3 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning,

I am a excited newbie, my model 3 is supposed to be delivered in early Oct.
My question is about tire wear. I am concerned of reports of tires only lasting 30 K miles. Does anyone have any stats on this wear issue?
With my daily commute, i will have to get a new set every two years, which kinda offsets any maintenance costs savings versus a ICE, though i think i will be still ahead with using electricity versus gas

I am not a fast driver, or a quick accelerator, and will be putting the car immediately in chill mode when i get it.

It seems pretty variable. The OEM tires usually seem to go quickest. Mine lasted about 20k miles, but I've seen people have them last 50k. Make sure you rotate them often!! That will help a lot.

I see no need for chill mode. You will learn to control the accelerator and then you can accelerate slowly all on your own, but have full power whenever you need it.

Good Morning,

My question is about tire wear. I am concerned of reports of tires only lasting 30 K miles. Does anyone have any stats on this wear issue?
With my daily commute, i will have to get a new set every two years, which kinda offsets any maintenance costs savings versus a ICE, though i think i will be still ahead with using electricity versus gas

I am not a fast driver, or a quick accelerator, and will be putting the car immediately in chill mode when i get it.

People with a heavy foot will see a lot more tire wear. I'm kind of like you in driving style, but I do mash it to demonstrate the performance to fellow newbies. I recently replaced my OEM tires at 42,000 miles. No need for chill mode, the car is very easy to control. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tires are tires whether they're on an ICE or EV. Their life depends on they type of tire, your driving habits, road conditions, etc. Too many variables to provide a mileage prediction. 30K miles isn't too bad, not high but not low either. I was approaching the replacement of the OEM tires on my Volt before I traded it on my Model 3 and it only had 16K miles on it split between a set of winter tires which were on the car for about half the year.

If you're concerned about tire life work with a tire store to find a tire appropriate for your driving habits and desired mileage.

Reactions: rpiotro

"Only" 30K miles?
Try ONLY 10K miles, if you are not afraid to drive the car properly!
I am at 28K miles right now, and have already replaced one set of summer (Michelin PSS4's) and one set of winter tires (Michelin X-Ice Xi3). Current set of summers was installed last fall, at around 23K miles.

If you drive like a grandma, you might make them last longer (e.g.: 20-40K miles). Or not.
It's a heavy car, and the tires are pretty narrow for the weight. Thus the accelerated wear rate.

Tires are disposable, no two ways around it.
Better, grippier tires wear out faster, but provide better traction and safety margins. Or you can go with cheaper and longer lasting tires, and give up some of the fun, performance, and safety. It's all up to you, depending on your budget constraints and priorities in life.

a

Reactions: tm1v2 and Gasaraki
The 19s on my 2019 LR RWD 3 lasted 25K. I replaced them with Bridgestone Quietrracks which I hope will do much better. So far, I find them to be a much better tire in every regard and with only a slight decrease in efficiency.

I replaced the MXM4s on my performance model with 18" wheels at 14k miles, and again at 32k miles. I got fed up with the premature wear so I switched to Pilot Sport 4s. Hopefully they last longer.

You say you drive modestly, but "when you have it, you'll want to use it".
So I'd plan on replacing the OEM tires at 25K-35K. I replaced my OEM 18" Michelin’s with winter tires at 24K and the next spring upgraded to 19" summer wheels and tires.
For replacements you could try tires with higher tread life, and the sacrifice of performance traction probably won't bother you.

I drive mostly conservatively but have fun with the car and drive spiritedly occasionally. I still have had great treadwear so far. It’s a Performance model with the original Michelin Pilot P4Ss that came on it 44,000 miles ago. I can certainly see them going up to and over 50k miles.

It depends on the UTQG rating of the tire and well as driving. Looking at Michelin the winter tires are unrated and many summer tires are a 300. I swapped my factory tires fo 245/40/19 Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3+. (They have no been replaced by the All Season 4's.) They have a rating of 540 so in theory would last nearly twice as long as summer tires. I have 17,500 and mine have between 6-7/32. 10 is new and 4 is worn for snow and 2 is legally worn out. I am guessing I will get about 30k-35k. I will change near 4/32 for winter driving.

Good Morning,

"Only" 30 K. Really not that bad for an OEM tire. Depends on how you drive.

My wife has a 2012 Mercedes SLK 350 (R172). It is fitted with high performance summer only tires. Currently Michelin Pilot Super sport. She'll get about 8K miles out of the rears but almost twice that on the fronts. The Pirelli P0s it came with didn't even last that long.

I ran 42K miles on my OEM Michelin’s before replacement on my M3 LR. I’ve been on Michelin’s Cross Climate 2s for the last 7K miles.
I'm interested in your experience with that tire. I have had dedicated winter tires for both cars for years prior but I am done with that hassle. My wife and I are both retired so if it gets really bad we just stay home. I'd just like something that would be a little better in winter. Also I find this concept of an oval contact patch interesting.

Seems hard to win to buy a Tesla to save money.

First, the car costs more than an ICE equivalent. Then it does have unexpected higher costs such as more expensive tires that wear faster.

You miss the cost of engine oil changes, but the annual cost of cleaning out the mold from your AC coils costs 3 times as an oil change. Then there's still 4 other fluids, like other ICE cars that need changing. And they have an odd, risky, and expensive AC desiccant change in the maintenance schedule.

Then most people get hit with a much higher insurance bill, "because it's a Tesla."

Repairs are much more expensive than an ICE car for things like body work, cracked windshield and glass roof replacements, and out of warranty issues. Tesla has an Apple-style monopoly approach that keeps 3rd party competition suppressed, and their labor and parts prices high.

But it's a fun car, just not the ticket to an early retirement.

Reactions: tm1v2 and afadeev