Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in hearing about other's experience with the Tesla Model X tires. I have a Signature X that was delivered almost exactly 1 year ago.

The car came equipped with Michelin Green X tires (R20) and the rear tires had pretty much entirely worn out between when I took delivery of the vehicle and November of last year. This I find rather surprising, so I am wondering what your experience is: what tires came on your Model X and how many kilometers or miles did you put on them before they required replacing?

Tesla claims the issue is that I towed with the vehicle. It is true that I towed an empty u-Haul trailer to New York City (a distance of about 800km) and then towed it back with about 500lbs of cargo, once, for a total of less than 2,000km of towing.

I appreciate your input/experience for my reference,

Alex

IMG_20170705_174505.jpg

I am interested in hearing about other's experience with the Tesla Model X tires. I have a Signature X that was delivered almost exactly 1 year ago.

The car came equipped with Michelin Green X tires (R20) and the rear tires had pretty much entirely worn out between when I took delivery of the vehicle and November of last year. This I find rather surprising, so I am wondering what your experience is: what tires came on your Model X and how many kilometers or miles did you put on them before they required replacing?

Tesla claims the issue is that I towed with the vehicle. It is true that I towed an empty u-Haul trailer to New York City (a distance of about 800km) and then towed it back with about 500lbs of cargo, once, for a total of less than 2,000km of towing.

Alex

View attachment 235109
how many miles did you put on between July and November of last year?

I don't have the invoice from Tesla from the tire swap service, but a few weeks later the odometer was at 19,456km (12,090mi) and probably the car was driven no more than 300 miles in that time (on the snow tires). So call it 12k miles, of which about 1k was towing the trailer.

Alex

Wow...that mileage would be excusable if it was the 22" wheel, not the 20"

do you live on a gravel road?

No, I do not. I recently bought a property where the last km or so is gravel, but the driving we are discussing here is probably about 90% asphalt and 10% concrete (the 407 is a toll highway that is concrete that accounts for a portion of the car's weekly driving). I'm just guessing the percentages, if it really matters I could calculate more precisely.

Alex

No, I do not. I recently bought a property where the last km or so is gravel, but the driving we are discussing here is probably about 90% asphalt and 10% concrete (the 407 is a toll highway that is concrete that accounts for a portion of the car's weekly driving). I'm just guessing the percentages, if it really matters I could calculate more precisely.

Alex
Every time I go to Toronto I use the 407 to and from Vaughan and Thornhill to visit relatives and maybe exceed the speed limit in a rental minivan (never said that). I don't know why an empty trailer will wear your tires like that.

90D with the 20" CrossContact LX ContiSilent tires at 32k miles my replacement front tires arrive tonight and get installed tomorrow.

I would have been able to easily get more then 32k but I was inflating my tires to 42 PSI based on the door jamb label, so the outer edges of the front tires wore out faster. (only front tires) the tires are best inflated to 45 PSI.

Rear tires are still good, probably 10-15k miles left - don't have the actual measurement of the tread but Discount Tire keeps me in check.

i just googled some reviews on the tire...does not have good tread wear. I would recommend michelin primacy's or what the US spec MX's come with, the contisilent's...

a canadian was complaining that they couldn't keep air pressure in the cold, another person had the same issue with the tires wearing out at 15,000 miles...

keep in mind the "warranty" on tires is largely just a selling point from the manufacture and is a super long process to try to get them to refund your money. they will ask for proof that you have been taking care of your tires by keeping them inflated properly, rotated regularly, etc...

Alex

View attachment 235109

If your car came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Green X tires, these are summer Truck tires which lasted actually a little longer than they supposed to. These tires warranted for 20k miles, half of that, i.e. 10k miles, when rears are different than fronts. I think that you are surprised because this is probably your first vehicle that is equipped with high performance summer tires - they are not known for being optimized for long wear...

upload_2017-7-11_12-17-57.png

What height do you normally run your suspension at?

Up until the winter, we were in the habit of running the suspension on low. That would be for about the first 20,000 kms on the vehicle. Then, as a result of that, snow got in the wheel well and damaged the fabric. Tesla fixed that for us at no charge, which was nice; though at the same time one has to remember that we've been driving cars through the snow for 40 years and never had snow damage a wheel well before.

After that, we got into the habit of using 'Standard' with 'High' on for those places where there is a risk of hitting the chassis.

alex

Up until the winter, we were in the habit of running the suspension on low. That would be for about the first 20,000 kms on the vehicle. Then, as a result of that, snow got in the wheel well and damaged the fabric. Tesla fixed that for us at no charge, which was nice; though at the same time one has to remember that we've been driving cars through the snow for 40 years and never had snow damage a wheel well before.

After that, we got into the habit of using 'Standard' with 'High' on for those places where there is a risk of hitting the chassis.

alex

this would also explain some abnormal wear...in low and especially in very low the camber on the wheels/tires is noticeable and wears the inside tread quickly.

this would also explain some abnormal wear...in low and especially in very low the camber on the wheels/tires is noticeable and wears the inside tread quickly.

90D with the 20" CrossContact LX ContiSilent tires at 32k miles

5/32 in the front - even wear across tire
7/32 in the rear - even wear across tire

Run on standard, auto raise to low at 40 mph. Also run it at very low often. Lots of highway miles so most of the time it's in low.
Will replace at least 2 in the fall due to winter in Connecticut...

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas