Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of waiting for the factory Performance Badges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
78FA2FD7-EA0D-44F2-8161-937A80FEA9F2.jpeg
There are some in Houston. No spoiler alert, though.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66
I picked up my performance badge from the service center here in Denver. I didn't put it on but it's in my glove compartment! If I didn't ask for it I'm not sure they would have even mentioned it, so make sure to ask if you are in the SC for any reason. Also I'm a P3D- and still got the badge after they looked up my vin to verify I was a performance model.

Reactions: Lifeinabox
I picked up my performance badge from the service center here in Denver. I didn't put it on but it's in my glove compartment! If I didn't ask for it I'm not sure they would have even mentioned it, so make sure to ask if you are in the SC for any reason. Also I'm a P3D- and still got the badge after they looked up my vin to verify I was a performance model.
Hope you leave it in the glove box where it belongs!

Reactions: silentcorp
I am not liking the dual motor underlined badge. Car looks cleaner without it but I have some guilt with removing the badge now after asking the badge be replaced once due to it being crooked (The badge not the install).

The problem after much contemplation is a lack of symmetry that is created after the dual motor badge is installed.

Model S and X do not have this problem.

“Model E ( 3 vertical bars ) on left side to balance out dual motor would have looked better.

Being a society that reads left to right, the dual motor badge placement is not harmonious.

I am not liking the dual motor underlined badge. Car looks cleaner without it but I have some guilt with removing the badge now after asking the badge be replaced once due to it being crooked (The badge not the install).

The problem after much contemplation is a lack of symmetry that is created after the dual motor badge is installed.

Model S and X do not have this problem.

“Model E ( 3 vertical bars ) on left side to balance out dual motor would have looked better.

Being a society that reads left to right, the dual motor badge placement is not harmonious.
I had the same issue with the assymetry. I even bought “Model 3” badging but ultimately decided to de-badge. I’ve never done that on any other car but the rear looks so much better without.

Reactions: MXWing
Nope, downforce and drag are separate tho commonly increasing downforce comes with increased drag. The OEM spoiler reduces drag AND reduces rear end lift slightly (aka downforce).

at what speed does this become measurable for street driving?
F1 achieves ridiculous track speeds because downforce allows
later braking, but their speed exceeds triple digits?

past performance cars I’ve owned rarely show an average speed
of above above 45 mpg between fill ups, hard to imagine a spoiler
producing any positive results other than looks at the car wash?

Over 50-60 MPH and it will be noticeable, which is plenty for most track use. It's not going to add hundreds of pounds of downforce like an F1 car (they can literally drive upside down), but it will probably reduce rear lift by 20-30 pounds or so i'd guess.

give most street mph average is less than 50 mph
and there are very, very few street turns that designed
to allow speed over 50 mph, this spoiler is going to hurt
street range/performance, much like the trade off of 20"ers?

But at speeds below 50mph, your drag is already minimal at .23 Cd. I doubt it has any noticeable effect on surface streets range.

I think we are saying the same things,
at street speeds, downforce is likely not
measurable, and given that downforce
requires drag to produce, there is a
minute decrease in range performance
with installed spoiler and little performance
(downforce) increase.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
and given that downforce requires drag to produce,

This is fundamentally not true if you consider reducing lift a form of downforce (which it is). Drag/downforce are commonly seen together, but it is not mandatory to create drag to generate downforce. If you are talking about a airfoil/wing shape by itself then yes, you are correct that to get more lift you generate more drag.

Cars are very different when you are placing a relatively small spoiler on a large region. You're changing the shape/orientation of the flow around the car which can result in reduced drag AND reduced lift (aka downforce). The Tesla spoiler is lifting the flow as it exits the rear of the car which reduces lift AND reducing the intensity of the low pressure region behind the car which creates drag.

Check out the bottom of this article: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-spoilers-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong-1665312667

L5rdw.jpg

This is fundamentally not true if you consider reducing lift a form of downforce (which it is). Drag/downforce are commonly seen together, but it is not mandatory to create drag to generate downforce. If you are talking about a airfoil/wing shape by itself then yes, you are correct that to get more lift you generate more drag.

Cars are very different when you are placing a relatively small spoiler on a large region. You're changing the shape/orientation of the flow around the car which can result in reduced drag AND reduced lift (aka downforce). The Tesla spoiler is lifting the flow as it exits the rear of the car which reduces lift AND reducing the intensity of the low pressure region behind the car which creates drag.

Check out the bottom of this article: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-spoilers-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong-
View attachment 378985

without knowledge of the attachment
of air flow on rear of 3, it’s just not
possible to determine if it’s laminar or
smooth enough to achieve as drawn in
the example provided.

the last two point’s of your article sum it up...

• You need computational fluid dynamics and/or wind tunnel testing to quantify spoiler/wing performance.
  • Neither have any positive impact whatsoever on straight-line low-speed acceleration. Both are primarily intended to improve stability and cornering at high speeds.
I’m guessing there was zero time in wind tunnel on 3?

I think we are saying the same things,
at street speeds, downforce is likely not
measurable, and given that downforce
requires drag to produce, there is a
minute decrease in range performance
with installed spoiler and little performance
(downforce) increase.

we are...but it's also fair to remember that the very slight loss in range performance with the spoiler may be made up in regen. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.