Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Ludicrous != 2.8 sec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If its slower than 3 Elon will have to change the name from Ludicrous mode to Ridiculous mode. I'm really hoping the performance is not so far off from the P100dl. My garage is too small for the S (its a BIG car). The top line 3PXXDL shouldn't be penalized too much since its got to be one of the highest margin cars they sell.

Yeah,

P75D= Ridiculous Speed
P100D=Ludicrous Speed

Roadster 2.0= Plaid! :D

(hint: watch the Spaceballs clip on youtube)

I expect high 2/low 3 second 0-60 times, and to be honest at that point unless you have a stop watch on it or are at the drag strip you really don't care. Your butt dyno just says it's fast as S***!

Tesla seems confident they will make 20+% profit margin on the base Model 3. I believe them.

That makes the production cost of the base Model 3 around 28k USD. Add in 2.5k USD for a front drive unit, 3k USD for an additional 20 kWh, 2k USD for an upgraded suspension, 1k USD for upgraded wheels and 3.5k in assorted other costs, and voila, the production cost of a P75D is around 40k USD. Selling it at 60k USD, they'd have a 33% profit margin. Selling it at 100k USD, they'd have a 60% profit margin.
You've been here since 2012 and you still believe things Tesla says? :p

My belief is that 20% profit margin is post gigafactory battery pack cost reduction (it will take them a few years to realize the pack savings from the GF). I fail to see how they can make 20% on day one. Further, there's no way you actually know any of the numbers you quoted in your post so I will not dispute them. We'll just have to wait and see...

If its slower than 3 Elon will have to change the name from Ludicrous mode to Ridiculous mode. I'm really hoping the performance is not so far off from the P100dl. My garage is too small for the S (its a BIG car). The top line 3PXXDL shouldn't be penalized too much since its got to be one of the highest margin cars they sell.
Why create a new term? They could just go back to calling it Insane mode like the original P85D.

Why create a new term? They could just go back to calling it Insane mode like the original P85D.
Well, Tesla screwed it up by originally calling it Insane. It really should have been ridiculous. :p
0a216a75ecb3662ef544200c8d518c85.jpg

I would add one thing, while so far Ludicrous has been defined by the fuse technology, most of all it is marketing. I can see the end-result being achieved through various means in the future.

Tesla Roadster may get Maximum Plaid or somesuch to differentiate, of course, but I am expecting Ludicrous to remain the mainstay of highest Performance Model S/3/X for the time being, implementations may differ...

Agreed ... if we stick with the facts your numbers are the most realistic posted so far. :cool:

The only two facts currently known are:
1. It will have a Ludicrous mode
2. Elon answered a question that mentioned an 11s 1/4 mile

My personal belief is that Ludicrous is a relative merit (compared to base performance), not an absolute one. As an example Ludicous X was originally equivalent/worse than Insane S. I expect something like the following:
55: 5.8s
75D: 5.0s
P75DL: 3.5s
[And, if it's any faster, I'll be happy]

upload_2017-4-1_10-12-28.png

Reactions: Alketi