Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 - Permanent Dashed Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have the dashed lines appear on the energy bar (under PRND) all the time. Should I expect these to clear at some point? I normally charge to 80% and tend not go below 40%.

I went on a good run yesterday 60 miles approx and charged on the way. Spirited driving and external temp was 19c. I have no obvious issues with performance or charging.

From the v20.20 manual :

On the energy bar, black (or white in night brightness) represents energy being used during acceleration and green indicates energy being gained through regenerative braking. A dashed line appears on the energy bar when power available for acceleration or power that can be gained by regenerative braking is being limited. Model 3 limits power for many reasons.
Here are just a few examples: ◦ Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot. ◦ Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the ambient temperature is either very warm or cool. ◦ Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

How many dots did you have when you set out and did the number decrease during your journey?

It would be unusualy for there to be a lot of them still there after several miles of spirited driving, but there could have been other factors at work. You said you charged during that trip, so how many miles did you do in one go without any charging? If it was 20-30 with no hard acceleration then it's quite possible you'd have some dots still there.

How many dots did you have when you set out and did the number decrease during your journey?

It would be unusualy for there to be a lot of them still there after several miles of spirited driving, but there could have been other factors at work. You said you charged during that trip, so how many miles did you do in one go without any charging? If it was 20-30 with no hard acceleration then it's quite possible you'd have some dots still there.

I need to look closer at this, I think it's static under the N - Definitely not dropping before R. Driving was mostly motorway with plenty overtakes.

28 miles to charger. Charged from 65% to 85%

The dashed line means that regen is limited. The more dots over from the left, the more it’s limited.

This can be because of charge level or battery temperature, and is designed to protect the battery.

It’s normal to have some dots when you start off from “cold”, but the dots gradually disappear as you drive.

I seem to have the dashed lines appear on the energy bar (under PRND) all the time. Should I expect these to clear at some point? I normally charge to 80% and tend not go below 40%.

I went on a good run yesterday 60 miles approx and charged on the way. Spirited driving and external temp was 19c. I have no obvious issues with performance or charging.

Yes, you would definitely expect the dots to disappear in those circumstances. If the car has stood for several days with no use the battery will take a good bit longer to lose the dots than if it's been in use... but you would still expect them to be gone with the scenario you describe. However, my guess is that this is much more likely to be indicative of an incorrect graphical representation on the screen than an indication of a real issue. You could try a reset and monitor over a few days.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
Also worth bearing in mind that a lot of regen and a nearly full battery can actually mean the dots could increase during a journey.

Some photos of the display might help if you think what you're seeing is not normal.

This is about as bad as it can be - Almost 100% charge so regen is at it's most limited (but there still is some). After 10 miles driving, several dots still remain.

dots.jpg

Last edited:
If you're stopping to charge at the top of a mountain and planning to use regen on the way down, you shouldn't charge anywhere near to 100% because you'll have much less regen on the way down and could end up cooking the brakes :D

Also worth bearing in mind that a lot of regen and a nearly full battery can actually mean the dots could increase during a journey.

Some photos of the display might help if you think what you're seeing is not normal.

This is about as bad as it can be - Almost 100% charge so regen is at it's most limited (but there still is some). After 10 miles driving, several dots still remain.

That's helpful @Electric Dream. "After 10 miles" looks familiar to where I was at yesterday. I will need to get some pictures on my next trip and report back :)

I reckon I've not driven long enough into a trip to see a constant energy bar (full regeneration)

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Right hand side is when it’s cold. You’ll get it in winter. If you turn on climate remotely in the morning it will warm the battery as well as the cabin, as long as you’re not actively “charging” (plugged in is ok)

... and in that instance is not to do with regen but is an actual limit of the cold battery in its ability to supply max power. You see it from time to time in very cold winter weather but it goes away quite quickly. It sometimes means that you get a surprise when you see a battery percentage of 85% when you thought it should be 90% but as you drive the battery warms and the percentages (or miles) come back to you.

From the v20.20 manual :

On the energy bar, black (or white in night brightness) represents energy being used during acceleration and green indicates energy being gained through regenerative braking. A dashed line appears on the energy bar when power available for acceleration or power that can be gained by regenerative braking is being limited. Model 3 limits power for many reasons.
Here are just a few examples: ◦ Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot. ◦ Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the ambient temperature is either very warm or cool. ◦ Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

In my experience I get regen anytime the battery is colder than somewhere around 80F / 27C. (I get battery temperature from "scan my Tesla" app.)

Once you start driving the battery will be somewhat warmer than the air, but at 19C you may never get warm enough for full regen.

Last edited:
19ºC is plenty warm enough, Bjorn had had his down to -17ºC and gets all regen back after a bit of spirited driving.

Preheat (turn on climate remotely) and you wont notice it.

Here's last winter early morning preheat. outside roughly -1ºC, it took about 35 mins for it to fully heat up cabin & batt (when the power use dropped from 9kW to about 2kW )

It wasn't plugged in so all the energy came from the battery and reduced the range. Plugged into a standard 7.4kW home charger and you'll lose a lot less

20200121.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense