Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Connect 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most rabid Tesla enthusiasts from around the world will be gathering 24 miles from a major Tesla opening party the same weekend. Only a subset have been invited.
image.jpeg

Reactions: CatB and Saxena
For folks going to the GF event, what's your take on the hotel? Go with the Whitney at the Tesla rate ($95/night), or the Atlantis at the TMC Connect rate ($179). They're 3 miles apart, easily Uber or Lyftable.

I've stayed at both during my location scouting last year and visited again in recent weeks. Really apples and oranges. The Whitney is nice, but a much smaller hotel (no pool or hot tub, IIRC). Last year I had actually considered doing our event at the Whitney since our group would take over most of the hotel, so we'd have the place mostly to ourselves. But that was the only real advantage. Turns out on our event weekend there's some other unrelated group using all the meeting spaces and taking up the rest of the sleeping rooms at the Whitney.

The Atlantis is really on a different level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxena
Kraken and I are all signed up! Super excited for the short drive to Reno :)

P.S. Would anyone be interested in doing a little ice-breaker before or after registration on Thursday. Break-Through Reno has some pretty fun escape rooms. We've found they are a great way to get out meet new people. Kraken and I have done all their current rooms and really enjoyed all of them. They should be opening a new one soon so hopefully it will be available so we can partake as well :). They have 3 different rooms right now (hopefully 4 soon), up to 6 people per room, cost is $20/person and lasts one hour.

Reactions: Denarius
There's a reference to "the Friday evening party at the Tesla Gigafactory". Is this going to be like the party at Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto last year? What I'm wondering is whether there's going to be any chance to see much of the factory. I'm guessing not, but I'd like to know for sure.

Doug, would it be possible to request a separate tour of the Gigafactory for those attending the TMC conference ... this would be a big draw!

For folks going to the GF event, what's your take on the hotel? Go with the Whitney at the Tesla rate ($95/night), or the Atlantis at the TMC Connect rate ($179). They're 3 miles apart, easily Uber or Lyftable.
Historically, it's been much better to stay at the event hotel for Connect than otherwise. Unless, of course, you need a break from us to make it through the event. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB
I'm booked. TMC Connect coincided with my anniversary the last two years, so to stay married I had to miss the conference. I haven't attended since TESLIVE in 2013, so I am looking forward to attending this year. I would agree with brianman that staying at the Atlantis is likely to be really convenient for conference attendees if you can swing it. It's always nice to be able to run upstairs to grab something you forgot, brush your teeth, change clothes if the temperature at the event is not to your liking, not have to worry about driving after drinks or waiting for a cab, etc. Especially if you are going to be doing events all 3 days. And I say this as a dedicated tightwad (not that many people believe that after seeing my cars, but it's true).

I suspect (I am just guessing) Doug has asked Tesla for a Gigafactory tour for TMC Connect participants. I also suspect (guessing again) that even if Tesla says "yes", they will not commit until the last minute. So my advice for optimal mental health is to assume you will not get to go; and who knows, maybe you will get a pleasant surprise.

I have enough referrals that I should be going to the GF event...as long as Tesla sends me the invite before, say, July 29.

Reactions: ModelX and Saxena