Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Navigation Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

danny

TMCing Since 2006
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
Referral Code
We just did an update to the sites navigation/navbars. This update is an important prerequisite for things to come. You'll notice that it's design and behavior is somewhat different to the previous solution. Please note that we are working on it still so it is not in it's final form, however it should be fully functional.

Two important things to note;

1. The "Mark Forums Read" button is no longer available in the navbar; instead you'll find it located at the top of each individual forum's thread list page as demonstrated in the following screen shot:
Mark Forums Read exlanation.png

2. The "New Posts" feature has essentially been rolled into the "What's New" page. The What's New page consists of 6 tabs: Recent Posts, Recent Threads, Unread Posts, Recent Posts (Watched), Recent Threads (Watched), Unread Posts (Watched). Recent Posts is a list of latest posts. Recent Threads is a list of latest threads. Unread Posts functions just like "New Posts" and provides a list of the latest post that you have not yet read. The "(Watched)" version of these three filters basically limits the feed to that of threads which exist in forums that you watch: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/forums. One change we intend to make in the near future is to have the "What's New" link default to "Unread Posts" for logged in users, and "Recent Posted" for non-logged in users. But for the moment, you can hover over "What's New" to access a dropdown of shortcuts to the various filters that may be of interest.

Reactions: Denarius
While things are moved around a bit (and we'll get used to it), I do like a lot of the smaller changes.

I have one request (for now at least).. I noticed that when reading a thread and scrolling, the "Discussion | Groups | Vendors | Connect" bar disappears and the "FORUMS WHAT'S NEW NEW POSTS MEMBERS MEDIA" scrolls up hiding the "Discussion" bar.

When I read threads, I tend to scroll the part I'm reading to the top of the page, but with this new hiding menu bar, if I scroll up just one pixel, that bar pops down to reveal the hidden "Discussions..." nav bar, covering the area I'm trying to read. This is very frustrating that moving the page just one pixel up or down moves the secondary nav bar up and down over the page content.

Can you please change the trigger to be something like 200 pixels before showing the top nav bar? One pixel is like a hair-trigger. When reading a thread, I now have to be extremely careful not to accidentally "scroll up" even just on pixel or that secondary nav bar pops down right into the area I'm reading.

Thanks.

Yeah the moving bar is annoying, also there seems to be some "bleed over" in that when I'm taken to a new post I have to scroll down to be able to click on links near the top of the post. And I just noticed when I hit "Post Reply" the "Post Reply" button jumps to the right, on top of the "Upload a File" button, and nothing is posted, until I click it again.

I wish we also had the What's New-style functionality at the bottom of a page as well as at the top. I find myself reading through a thread, coming to the bottom of the page, then scrolling all the way back up to do a "What's New" scan again (which I prefer to just using the "Go to First Unread" button, which may not reflect the priority I attach to the various threads I'm watching).

Thanks,
Alan

Can you please change the trigger to be something like 200 pixels before showing the top nav bar? One pixel is like a hair-trigger. When reading a thread, I now have to be extremely careful not to accidentally "scroll up" even just on pixel or that secondary nav bar pops down right into the area I'm reading.

Great suggestion. We actually did Beta test this, but none of the testers had any input on this, but I think many would agree with you.

Yeah the moving bar is annoying, also there seems to be some "bleed over" in that when I'm taken to a new post I have to scroll down to be able to click on links near the top of the post. And I just noticed when I hit "Post Reply" the "Post Reply" button jumps to the right, on top of the "Upload a File" button, and nothing is posted, until I click it again.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the 'bleed over'. For the second issue you mention, I also noticed that just now. Not sure what's causing it but will fix ASAP.

Great suggestion. We actually did Beta test this, but none of the testers had any input on this, but I think many would agree with you.

Yes, I'm one of the guilty beta testers, and I feel bad that I couldn't spend more time on the beta site to give you proper feedback during that phase. So sorry about that, I will try to do better in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore
Hi. I've noticed a few issues:

1. The link that says "List" under the ratings, is now on the next row. For example, if you look at my message here, it says
Like x 6 Helpful x 2
List

Previously, they were all on the same row like this:
Like x 6 Helpful x 2 List
The previous version looked better. It is too messy now.

2. On the top right there are 4 icons. When I have new alerts (new messages in subscribed threads), only the bell icon used to have a red number. Now both the bell icon and the first icon have the same number. This is unnecessary. The previous version was better.

3. Let's say I have 6 alerts for new messages in 6 subscribed topics. I hover over the bell icon and select the first topic. But then the bell icon disappears from view. I have to scroll up again to see the bell icon again. I have to repeat this 6 times if I have 6 alerts. Those 4 icons on the right should not disappear when you scroll down.

4. Post reply button doesn't work when you first click it. Instead, it moves around and all the buttons look messed up.

I recommend undoing all recent changes. There might be other things that are broken. I think it's better to change only one thing at a time. Otherwise, if there is a problem, it will be harder to figure out what change has caused the issue. By the way, "mark all forums read" worked just fine. I don't think it needs to be more specific. I have used that button only once so far.

If you are looking for improvement ideas, the forum sections could be rearranged. Here are some ideas:
1. You could create a new forum section for Tesla autopilot and self-driving. This topic is not Model S or Model X specific. Having autopilot topics under Model S, Model X and Model 3 forum sections doesn't look right.
2. You could create another new forum section for Superchargers and Destination Chargers. Again this is not Model S or Model X specific.
3. You could create a new forum section for Service and Maintenance.
4. The dislike button creates too many problems. See my message here.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the 'bleed over'

It seems as if it's maybe an artifact from the drop down nav bar. Say I click on an un read watched thread, it takes me to the most recent post. I can't click on links or highlight text in the top 4 or so lines of the post, unless I scroll back up so the text is far enough away from the nav bar. It's almost as if the page is reserving extra area for the drop down nav bar. Hope that makes sense.
Actually you can try it with this post, scroll so the top sentence is just below the nav bar and try to select text in the top 3 lines of this post.

It seems as if it's maybe an artifact from the drop down nav bar. Say I click on an un read watched thread, it takes me to the most recent post. I can't click on links or highlight text in the top 4 or so lines of the post, unless I scroll back up so the text is far enough away from the nav bar. It's almost as if the page is reserving extra area for the drop down nav bar. Hope that makes sense.
Actually you can try it with this post, scroll so the top sentence is just below the nav bar and try to select text in the top 3 lines of this post.
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I have replicated it on my end and will get this fixed ASAP.

A minor detail but I think the "new posts" link on the top menu used to link to
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/find-new/posts
but now it links to
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/find-new/2223281/posts
That number in the link is fixed. It is not supposed to be fixed as the website creates a new number each time you click it.

I think somebody who doesn't know the software has messed countless details. Again I recommend going back to how it was before it's too late. You will never know what else is messed up.

When I use "what's new" the thread titles appear in the difficult to read grey color that they did when you first switched to the new forum software a few months ago. Would you please make them black again? This is the same grey font problem many of us have been complaining about in the 8.0 UI. It must be the design fad of 2016 but it it's harder for older eyes to read.

• Helpful
Reactions: danny
When I use "what's new" the thread titles appear in the difficult to read grey color that they did when you first switched to the new forum software a few months ago. Would you please make them black again? This is the same grey font problem many of us have been complaining about in the 8.0 UI. It must be the design fad of 2016 but it it's harder for older eyes to read.
We'll get that fixed.