Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To 72 A or not to 72 A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the 48 amp delay delivery? Do we know this to be true?
NO, there should be no delay with either choice.

My mention of "delay" was in regard to a suggested update IF it was ever offered later. In other words, if you want the 72 amp charger, don't order the 48 amp charger and wait and wish for something that hasn't been announced or may ever be available.

They are probably doing A/B testing to see what fraction of people are interested in the option when presented with it. They can't measure that properly when it's hidden.

But I'm still not convinced that it's just software. The theory about a "bad batch" of chargers seems plausible to me. When MichealW expressed to Tesla that he was interested in adding the option after delivery, it may be that they arranged for him to get one of the chargers from the "good" batch at no cost to him. My guess is that people that don't order the option will by default get parts from the bad batch that can only do 48 A, and when Tesla runs out of the bad ones then people that don't order the 72 A option will get a software-limited 72 A charger. This may explain why they were hiding the option--they wanted to make sure that they didn't get more 72 A charger orders than they have the parts for.

Also, I asked my DS if I could add the 72 A charger to my order without being charged the $500 change fee on account of the feature previously being hidden, and they said that they are indeed currently allowing that. However, my DS tried to talk me out of getting the feature, which seems to support the theory of limited availability.

But I'm still not convinced that it's just software. The theory about a "bad batch" of chargers seems plausible to me.

We're not talking about silicon wafer binning... we're talking about basic high-current power supplies. Failure modes tend to be more binary.

Your DS trying to talk you out of getting the feature is not an indication of limited availability... if that was the case, the design engine would tell you that there could be a delay.

I'm coming around to the possibility that this is one of those things where every car has the capability. We'll know for sure when we see the parts catalog and/or someone with the 48A basic option needs to have a charger replaced.

There are many other potential reasons -- another possibility is that a higher percentage of people who ordered a dual-charger Model S are finding out that when it comes time to install the wall connector, they don't have room in load calculations and so Tesla is hiding the option so that you must know more about it (and your current power situation) to order it.

We're not talking about silicon wafer binning... we're talking about basic high-current power supplies. Failure modes tend to be more binary..
I am with investmentgamer on this one.

The failure does not have to be specific to a given set of devices that were put in a good or bad bin, but statistically. So if they feel X chargers will fail when under higher currents then they can charge more for that feature to cover the costs of replacing it later IF they break. So consider it insurance to cover their potential overhead for a group of products that did not meet their criteria.

I am with investmentgamer on this one.

The failure does not have to be specific to a given set of devices that were put in a good or bad bin, but statistically. So if they feel X chargers will fail when under higher currents then they can charge more for that feature to cover the costs of replacing it later IF they break. So consider it insurance to cover their potential overhead for a group of products that did not meet their criteria.

Manufacturers do not knowingly and purposefully put defective components into finished products. On top of that - again - the failure mode of chargers tends to be very binary - it works or it doesn't. Very rarely do you find a situation where something will work at one current level but not another in these power supplies. Intel has some chips that work at 2.2 GHz but not 2.4 GHz, they can be "marked down".

In addition, Tesla's contracts surely make the contract manufacturers responsible for "bad batches", and would be contractually responsible to replace them.

But there will be one indicator if your theory holds - Tesla will simply get rid of the option and all chargers will become 72A. They'll have a proactive replacement program. And There'll be a 300-page thread about the "rev A" chargers for production car purchasers.

Do you plan on installing a WC on a 100A breaker? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. Do you travel a lot in areas that have Tesla destination charging with >=72A charging? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. Do you have the tendency to light fire to ten $100 bills? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. If you cannot answer yes to one of these three questions, I would not order the 72A charger.

I ordered the 72A charger.
make that fifteen $100 bills :)

Do you plan on installing a WC on a 100A breaker? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. Do you travel a lot in areas that have Tesla destination charging with >=72A charging? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. Do you have the tendency to light fire to ten $100 bills? If so, definitely order the 72A charger. If you cannot answer yes to one of these three questions, I would not order the 72A charger.

I ordered the 72A charger.
Couldn't agree more. Very well said!

Even with my wall charger at home running at 32A, I wanted the 72A charger so that I can make best use of destination charging so that when I arrive at the destination I can hook up, unpack and shower and be ready to do a little sightseeing/dinner going, etc. without range anxiety.

I just went for the 48 amps on my 90D. My only road trips are to SF once a year and the new destination charger at Hilton is only 40 amps. However I did go to Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe before and the resort doesn't have any chargers.

Pure speculation on my part but my guess is in a couple of years there will be more and more 72 Amp charging stations available starting with Supercharge stations. As there becomes more Teslas on the road the company will want to keep the wait time and potential complaints down by shortening charging time. Also that will sell more upgrades don't you think? I originally configured without 72 then decided it wasn't that much money in the big picture. Like a lot of things, some of it may come back at sale time down the road. Maybe not a lot of money will return but will sell easier with everything included (and that is worth something).

Just as info, roughly 71% of the people who have ordered production Model X's chose the 72amp option. I chose it as I felt the option was reasonably priced. We plan on taking long road trips and want to spend as little time charging as possible. We are also considering the CHAdeMO at $450.

Since we have a new home and have the extra capacity we put in a dedicated 240 v 100amp circuit using 2 gauge cooper wire but I also have a 240v 50 amp circuit on 6 gauge copper wire for a second car or if the High power charger fails.

I know they were adament the 72 amp option would not be available after the car was made, but from what I understand the HW is identical. Whether they will offer an upgrade is another issue. Usually after delivery, if it is just a software upgrade, they charge a 50% premium.