Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much the Peal White issues are that it is over a white or a light base coat? Not sure what primer color they use for the white. But perhaps the pain robots have a hard time measuring coverage with no contrast. My Pearl Red is fine, and its an early car to boot.

Now the dirt is another thing. And miss matched panels seems odd too. In fact at the factor tour they went out of their way to demonstrate how all the sub assemblies get painted along with the body to keep this from happening (ok. There goes my NDA).

Another alternative is to have Tesla pay for paint correction and a complete wrap of the car. This takes the finish out of their hands. Since you are an enthusiast for quality I suspect you would have gone that route regardless of what the finish on your car was. So maybe you can actually get ahead here.

Now the dirt is another thing. And miss matched panels seems odd too. In fact at the factor tour they went out of their way to demonstrate how all the sub assemblies get painted along with the body to keep this from happening (ok. There goes my NDA).

Plastic panels, steel panels and aluminum will all take the exact same paint differently. It will also age differently. I'd rather those small differences, than find out that substantial amounts of my car were secretly repainted, in a process that is inferior to the factory.

I still don't get the OP's issues, apart from over-spray. Drips? Was the metallic too thin and uneven? Some of the most amazing luster I've ever seen on a car was on the first hand-sprayed red Sigs. The paint was laid on thicker.

guys they did not order me 2nd and 3rd cars because i was seeing things.....that's a very expensive under taking, they did it because they know they have issues.

Pearl White Exterior Model X Photos

See post #29 I am not the only person noticing these problems, and I bet if others with Pearl White looked close they would notice them too!
I'm sorry but the fact that they tried to satisfy you is not an acknowledgment that they actually had a problem. Please, most some pictures so we can see ... or a link to a video file .. or something other than your own statement

I'm sorry but the fact that they tried to satisfy you is not an acknowledgment that they actually had a problem. Please, most some pictures so we can see ... or a link to a video file .. or something other than your own statement

I looked through OP's posting history, I didn't see any photos or correspondence, I did see a lot of the word "Sucks," though.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheQ
If you think Tesla building a customer 3 cars to "satisfy" them is a good business model....when there is nothing really wrong according to you fanboys, well.......you just cant make that up. Run a business like that and see how long it lasts, Model X is not an ice cream cone.

Thats where the word SHEEP comes from.....bet you think Hilary set up that Email server for convenience too.

I pointed you to a thread that others are saying the same things with pics.... and those pics are impossible to see anything. Some people just don't want to believe, that's where the term FANBOYS comes from to begin with. I can post pics and people like you will still be disbelievers, that's the just the nature of the sheep. Because it did not happen to you, it did not happen, we get it. Move on.

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
I can relate, but to a lesser extent. I took re-delivery of our Midnight Silver 75D X yesterday, after it came back from the body shop where they were able to buff out some trash in the paint on the hood. I posted these pics in another thread...and it really seemed crazy that NOBODY did anything about it (notice I didn't say that nobody "saw" it b/c for all I know they were waiting to see if I was bothered enough to bring it up--it was plain as day to me, noticeable within 10 seconds of looking at the hood. Oh, and there were two very noticeable chips on top of one of the key fobs (the one showing when the box is opened) along with dirty fingerprint/smudges...that they didn't do anything about either. Asked for a replacement...And a 5-inch long scratch in the middle console cup holder door panel...that will need to be replaced....and I could go on. But I'm hopeful all unresolved issues will be resolved soon.

It's disappointing to not have the perfect delivery experience that others have had (I didn't get to drive through the bay doors...had to make a special request to do this). But hopefully the ownership experience will be better!

Attachments

• 20160822_135013-1.jpg
    20160822_135013-1.jpg
    932.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20160822_135052.jpg
    20160822_135052.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 105
DD I see you are in Austin too, I am sorry you are having a similar experience......yes the Service Manager needs to go. He could have fixed my issues right before I ever saw the car and I would never know about. Like others have posted thats all legal.

I don't understand how they detail cars and don't see these issues from the get go, literally in the case of the last 2 cars it took me less than 1 minute and a full trip around the car to see these issues.......they must have blind people detailing cars and how do they make it out of the factory like this? Its just such a disappointing experience, especially when spending so much money.

DD I see you are in Austin too, I am sorry you are having a similar experience......yes the Service Manager needs to go. He could have fixed my issues right before I ever saw the car and I would never know about. Like others have posted thats all legal.

I don't understand how they detail cars and don't see these issues from the get go, literally in the case of the last 2 cars it took me less than 1 minute and a full trip around the car to see these issues.......they must have blind people detailing cars and how do they make it out of the factory like this? Its just such a disappointing experience, especially when spending so much money.
I feel your pain and share your disappointment. Drove the 1.4 miles from the service center to my house and parked in the garage..there he'll stay until I can decide what to do for paint protection, if anything at all.

I also would like to see pictures and encourage the OP to post them. But I believe the OP. The details laid us thus far are believable and I and feel bad that he/she had this bad experience. I would be beyond disappointed if this happened to me.

With that said, the MX is an unbelievable car and I would rather have imperfect paint on a MX then drive anything else. I definitely recommend the OP give their decision some thought over the next weeks/months, and encourage them to reconsider at a future date. Based on my personal experience, you won't be sorry if/when that happens. Perhaps an inventory car? It's obvious you still care, otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread.

Finally, I'd like to offer an additional data point, and my data-point includes a picture: the paint on my obsidian black MX (VIN 83Xx) is absolutely perfect. I hand-wash my car using the 2 bucket method every week -- even 2 months in I've still found no defects whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_20160807_141536.jpg
    IMG_20160807_141536.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Shock-On-T and TheQ
If you think Tesla building a customer 3 cars to "satisfy" them is a good business model....when there is nothing really wrong according to you fanboys, well.......you just cant make that up. Run a business like that and see how long it lasts, Model X is not an ice cream cone.

Thats where the word SHEEP comes from.....bet you think Hilary set up that Email server for convenience too.
Y'know, I get that you don't like the pushback. Most of us wouldn't. But people are curious AND most of us have witnessed more than a few posters that play fast and loose with the facts. So it's also understandable that people asked for photos to see what you're talking about.

What I find really unacceptable is your need to insult people by calling anyone who disagreed with you 'sheep' ... and then you go and politicize it by taking potshots about what candidate someone may be supporting.

Kudos to the rest of the forum for not taking that bait and letting this thread totally devolve into a political slugfest.

Model X 5YJXCBE21GF015159

Ordered Accept Delivery
Model X 5YJXCBE29GF003941 Delivered

Here are 2 of my 3 vins for all the non believers.....they took the middle one away when they ordered the 3rd.

Hey THQ, non-believer insults and/or indignation doesn't help your goal.........anyway, I wanted to see pictures because my car is white and maybe I'm not looking at it with the trained eye you have. Everything posted is dark dark dark......we have lighter cars that mask imperfections (one of the reasons I ordered white actually lol). So, if you could help out, it'd be appreciated. And if you didn't come here to help, then why did you come here?

The one thing I can't understand with most folks that buy expensive vehicles is this pedantic obsession to cosmetic things like paint. It is a friggin car that rolls on our dirty streets and is hit by dirt and grime and pebbles. It is a not work of art, a sculpture or a DaVinci painting that we crave to hang it in our spotless living rooms. In a week or a month, the car will get a chip here and chip there.

What tickles me here is that, folks with their ultra obsession to these cosmetic details, completely miss the forest for the trees. Your buy a Tesla for its ultra smooth instant acceleration and its amazing ability to drive itself relieving stress on your tough highway commutes and long distance travels. You could get a BMW with an amazing perfect spotless paint, but it is still an ICE that you have to drive yourself.

In the end, what matters is the joy and ease of driving. Everything else is secondary.

When I picked up my S, the delivery person pointed out a few cosmetic things that he said they would take care of it. I told them not to waste time and effort in all that. However spotless they can make it, it is only a matter of time there will be scratches and minor dings. There is nothing I can do when someone dings my door in a grocery store. And it is inevitable. Instead I bargained for a new set of tires (for my CPO S). Win-win for both.