Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To front plate or not to front plate; that is the poll

What do you have for a front plate?

• No front plate - no laws requiring

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No front plate - but worry about fines while driving

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • No front plate - but worry about fines while parked

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • No front plate - but worry about fines while driving and parked!

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • No front plate - been fined once

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • No front plate - been fined a few times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have non-destructive front plate - don't worry anymore

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Have drilled holes for plate - don't worry anymore and hate that I had to do it

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Have front plate - just cuz

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have a section:

Front plate required, mounted non-destructively, protects car when wife parks with braille method.

I like that one. Reminds me of years ago when the wife left a yellow racing stripe down the side of our Subaru from a concrete parking pylon. She felt it hit and powered on through into the space. Her reasoning was "you can just wash the paint off". Fortunately she doesn't have an interest in driving the Tesla!

I don't understand how front plates can be optional. I used to live in PA where there was no front plate. Here in CO, I've heard of tickets being issued for no front plate. That is the pirmary role of police - to generate revenue whenever possible.

You guys that are sticking them on with double faced tape... Aren't you concerned when you remove it some day that the paint is going to come off with the Tape? That stuff is nasty to get off...

- - - Updated - - -

I had a Corvette without a front plate for ten years. Never once did a cop even mention it. Not sure how it is now, but back in the 90's they really didn't seem to care.

I didn't put a front plate on for 2 months until I got a parking ticket for it. Exactly! I wasn't even driving my car and got a ticket for it. So i places it below the nose cone with plastic ties attached through the honeycomb grill. Doesnt look too bad.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379272230.030795.jpg

I didn't put a front plate on for 2 months until I got a parking ticket for it. Exactly! I wasn't even driving my car and got a ticket for it. So i places it below the nose cone with plastic ties attached through the honeycomb grill. Doesnt look too bad.View attachment 30674

That works in cool climates. I wouldn't trust it in hot ones as it blocks quite a bit of air flow.

I front plated my car almost immediately, have gotten multiple tickets in seattle in my various cars, stop you for plate to give you a ticket for speeding. No plate ticket in SeaTac parking garage, parked. Greedy port authority, plus we go back and forth to Canada, eh? Wrecks esthetics of car, but i got over it. Got plate i like "00 GAS".

Went to tesla event, one S with plate so low it wrapped around the underside so as not to be unreadable, i thought that was a good trick. "Oh, ooops!, officer, when did THAT happen?"

You're missing "No front plate - laws required but I don't give a damn."

That's me, too.

My last car of this caliber was a Ferrari 456GT. I drove it for seven years without being stopped for the missing front plate. In Vermont, they generally won't stop you for that alone. If they stop you for some other reason, then the front plate comes into play. This arrangement actually promotes safe, responsible driving!

It is necessary to temporarily mount the plate for the annual state inspection. I had a nice mounting method for the Ferrari involving velcro straps. No holes necessary.

You're missing "No front plate - laws required but I don't give a damn."

+1000

- - - Updated - - -

You guys that are sticking them on with double faced tape... Aren't you concerned when you remove it some day that the paint is going to come off with the Tape? That stuff is nasty to get off...

3M make a really strong two sided pressure tame. It's grey with red removable piece and sticks amazingly strong while peeling off with no paint issues at all.