Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopping the check (ie cancelling it?) can be expensive and honestly not always fool-proof. I'd ask DMV about doing so before you proceed. I think they may also incur charges at their end if they've presented it to their bank but not sure.

Since there's no advantage to waiting until after 1-1-19, I called the DMV Clean Air office to see if I could get an early start on converting my 2017 white decal to red and avoid the potential deluge of applications and backlog. I was told that the form is not yet available...with no estimate on when it will be. The current REG 1000 form will not work.

Unless they send out conversion notifications soon and have much improved processing times, I expect that after January 1st, there may be a lot of unhappy white decal drivers anxiously checking the mail for their red decals.

to add to the confusion here, on KTVU news just now they talked about the white stickers expiring and interviewed someone from the DMV who claimed that white sticker owners should start requesting red stickers *now* to beat the rush.

however, per haxter's conversation (and the fact that the current reg1000 was updated 1/2018 and has no "i have a white sticker and need a red one" box), this can not be true.

HOV stickers for clean energy cars expire at the end of this year

"If you were issued a green or while decal in 2017 or 2018 you don’t have to wait for it expire in January 2019. You can begin to apply now in order to receive the red decal,” said Artemio Armenta, a public communications officer for the Department of Motor Vehicles.

this is supremely unhelpful for a DMV comms officer to go on TV and say this. it's just going to make extra work for them.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Stopping the check (ie cancelling it?) can be expensive and honestly not always fool-proof. I'd ask DMV about doing so before you proceed. I think they may also incur charges at their end if they've presented it to their bank but not sure.
I just did it and my bank waived the $30 cancellation fee. Even if they didn’t waive the fee, I would do it to gain a year. DMV won’t incur fees like a bounced check would. Stop payment is apparently different and the dmv will know within 24 hours. This should stop the process and kick it back to me. I’ll try to call them too but not hopeful I’ll get triaged to the hov folks.

to add to the confusion here, on KTVU news just now they talked about the white stickers expiring and interviewed someone from the DMV who claimed that white sticker owners should start requesting red stickers *now* to beat the rush.

however, per haxter's conversation (and the fact that the current reg1000 was updated 1/2018 and has no "i have a white sticker and need a red one" box), this can not be true.

HOV stickers for clean energy cars expire at the end of this year

this is supremely unhelpful for a DMV comms officer to go on TV and say this. it's just going to make extra work for them.

As it's already mid-September, the DMV may offer a "grace period" for the current decals to allow time for them to process requests for the red ones. Time will tell...

As it's already mid-September, the DMV may offer a "grace period" for the current decals to allow time for them to process requests for the red ones. Time will tell...

i sincerely hope so. my wife is going to absolutely kill me if january comes and there's no new stickers. she thinks we should send in the reg1000 now per this DMV yahoo's instructions but i'm 100% sure it will result in either failure, or receiving a new set of white stickers in the mail.

I think the cops should look for cars in HOV lanes with no stickers (and no transponders) before they worry about white, red, green or any other color hov stcker. I see so many voilators going in and out of HOV lanes during commute hr. traffic here in the Bay area, (specially 580).
Same here in Los Angeles area. Every morning single non EV riders cut in and out of the carpool and Toll Roads its a joke.

If people do this. I bet they cheat and mark their transponder as 3+ and drive for free too. They really need to section off the toll lanes and not allow people to cut in and out

Had my car since July but I just decided to wait until 2019 to apply for a sticker for a potential extra full year. I go to east bay maybe once a month so if 2023 validation isn't happening for 2019 applications, i'm not losing out too much either way.

I do have a question for FastTrak w/o decals however. Can I still leave FastTrak flex at 3+ setting for the toll discount even without the decal? I realize I shouldn't expect HOV access without a sticker, and I'm not planning to utilize HOV (or express lanes) until I have the sticker but I'm assuming I can still get the toll discount for EV's without the decals right?

I do have a question for FastTrak w/o decals however. Can I still leave FastTrak flex at 3+ setting for the toll discount even without the decal? I realize I shouldn't expect HOV access without a sticker, and I'm not planning to utilize HOV (or express lanes) until I have the sticker but I'm assuming I can still get the toll discount for EV's without the decals right?
No, without the decals you're just like any regular ICE car. Setting the transponder to 3+ without having that many persons in the car is a carpool violation.

Reactions: FalconFour
No, without the decals you're just like any regular ICE car. Setting the transponder to 3+ without having that many persons in the car is a carpool violation.
Yep. You will get a ticket from the CHP if caught with 3+ setting when youre seated one. They have a way to check. My roommate got a ticket from that in the early morning time towards LA (when it costs the most for single riders).

Can anyone point to language that confirms that a new -non-red color will be issued? The DMV page says that the color hasnt been determined, but doesnt say that it will be a new color. Also, where can I find official language that stickers issued in 2019 will go till Jan 2023?

Jan 2023:

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available.

• Informative
Reactions: SJC3
Had my car since July but I just decided to wait until 2019 to apply for a sticker for a potential extra full year. I go to east bay maybe once a month so if 2023 validation isn't happening for 2019 applications, i'm not losing out too much either way.

Of course. You can still use fastrak with 3+ just like any other ICE car with the proper amount of people in it.

The stickers basically add two heads to the car count. Treat it like that.

Jan 2023:

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available.

Color still not available? They should know all th colors between now and 2022 already.

2019 red
2020 orange
2021 purple
2022 carbon fiber.

There. Easy. I created it.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Jan 2023:

Cool, my 2000 Insight had a Yellow HOV sticker, but it never had a green, white, or red sticker. I'll have to apply.

So I think i got about a decade on that sticker, it seems the green ones replaced mine and have been around ever since, why is my red sticker only good for 3 years?

-Randy

Cool, my 2000 Insight had a Yellow HOV sticker, but it never had a green, white, or red sticker. I'll have to apply.

So I think i got about a decade on that sticker, it seems the green ones replaced mine and have been around ever since, why is my red sticker only good for 3 years?

-Randy

Ya good luck with that one... when did the green and white sticker ever mention Hybrid cars?

Reactions: FalconFour