Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To take or not to take delivery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in my MY order for $6k below it's current selling price. I've been assigned a VIN (for a 2nd time) and Tesla wants me to take delivery. Like everyone else, I'm strongly debating what to do. I don't need the car right now, so I can definitely afford to wait. If anything, the upcoming hardware changes alone might make it worthwhile. And of course if the BBB gets passed, the extra $7.5k is a nice bonus...
While I'm not looking for any fortune tellers, I am trying to understand if someone sufficiently understands the Tesla delivery system to tell me whether I'm risking my order getting cancelled. Going on the order agreement alone, I have 90 days from first attempt, which puts me at end of Jan. 2022, with no restriction on the number of attempts. So in theory, Tesla can't cancel my order if I reject this vehicle, or can they?

Tesla can do whatever they want; I suspect they can tweak the system to start auto-cancelling orders that are placed on hold for what they deem excessive times. Same for continuously rejected deliveries after being assigned VINs. You simply have to decide if you want to roll the dice.

The real question becomes, can you do something about it after the fact? Maybe. Presuming you "win," who knows how long it takes for you to get a vehicle when all of your conditions are met (hardware changes; BBB; etc.).

You've outlined good points as to why you shouldn't take delivery., so I don't feel the debate is close. If you don't need the vehicle and can afford to wait - wait it out. Otherwise, you may have some regrets down the line.

Upvote 0
If you ordered after May 2021, the term is 90 days from oder date, not from the first attempt. With so many factors, I think the core question is do you need the car now or not. If not, continue to hold and hope they don't cancel it. In case the did (most likely), there's hope for BBB and buying in 2024 when supply chain and competition changed, price could be lower.

Upvote 0
If you ordered after May 2021, the term is 90 days from oder date, not from the first attempt. With so many factors, I think the core question is do you need the car now or not. If not, continue to hold and hope they don't cancel it. In case the did (most likely), there's hope for BBB and buying in 2024 when supply chain and competition changed, price could be lower.
Mine specifically states:
"For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

Upvote 0
Well consider this, if Tesla cancels your order It May cost you more for the car to re order it. I feel ya tho I have an order in too. But my expected delivery is not til Feb or Mar. I decided if I am assigned a vin I’m taking it!

Yes I am very much aware of that, which is why I came here to ask whether Tesla would actually cancel the order. So far I haven't heard / read about a single person this has actually happened to, and I believe they'd be in violation of the order agreement if they did.
Now of course if they let me know in writing that I have to take delivery or the order is cancelled, then I'll just go ahead and take it, since I definitely want to get one by end of 2022, and as you rightfully pointed out I may end up paying more.

Upvote 0
Yes I am very much aware of that, which is why I came here to ask whether Tesla would actually cancel the order. So far I haven't heard / read about a single person this has actually happened to, and I believe they'd be in violation of the order agreement if they did.
Now of course if they let me know in writing that I have to take delivery or the order is cancelled, then I'll just go ahead and take it, since I definitely want to get one by end of 2022, and as you rightfully pointed out I may end up paying more.

Tesla has canceled orders.

They threatened some Florida buyers here too and assigned them a VIN and a delivery date immediately. Tesla is pushing hard to deliver these cars.

What will probably happen is if you miss your second delivery date (this is your second VIN) they will auto cancel the order. That’s my guess. If you don’t need the car that badly (you can wait til the fall and you truly believe BBB will pass), it’s worth the risk. I have two orders if Tesla forced me to take in 2021, I’d try to transfer to somebody else or just let them cancel…. I’m in no hurry.

Upvote 0
Similar situation. $8k less than selling for now, would likely be a wash if/when the BBB passes. But not too worried about it, I'd probably buy another qualifying EV in 2022.

In either case, apparently I had been assigned a VIN months ago when I put the order on hold for 90 days. That time passed and it went back in the queue not long ago with a Feb 2022 delivery date. But then I was unexpectedly assigned a VIN a few weeks ago. They won't extend or unassign VIN again. Past 90 days, 2nd VIN, take it or leave it.

I went ahead and picked a delivery date, but need to commit (e.g., pay) by tomorrow. Big issue for me is that I wasn't expecting it quite so soon and haven't sold my current vehicle yet. And won't likely sell in time. Trade and local offers are no go, has to be private party.

Trying to punt it off on my wife to trade hers in, but she was having issues with seat belt rubbing on her neck (she's short) during her test drive. Still considering options. Either she's takes it and makes it work, I end up with a 3rd vehicle, or I pass entirely.

Decisions...

Upvote 0
But then I was unexpectedly assigned a VIN a few weeks ago.
I honestly don't know how suddenly Tesla has been pumping out cars so quickly. I unfroze my order thinking it'll take them at least several weeks to match me with a car, and much to my surprise I had a VIN assigned 1 day later.
I'm guessing that most folks are delaying delivery for the tax credit which is the reasoning behind these miraculous delivery times. Tesla says I got matched because the previous buyer couldn't sort out their financing...yeah right. Like I don't know that everyone is making up stories to delay delivery.
I'm not upset with Tesla - I think they have every right to cancel these orders. But if everyone else is playing this game and they allow it then I feel like a sucker for not participating. As they say, don't hate the player...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't know how suddenly Tesla has been pumping out cars so quickly. I unfroze my order thinking it'll take them at least several weeks to match me with a car, and much to my surprise I had a VIN assigned 1 day later.
A few sales reps have suggested that I didn't actually lose my place in line when I took the vehicle off hold. Others have said it puts you at the back of the queue. I do agree, I also suspect a big part of this mess is all of the holds from customers waiting out the tax bill. Combined with nobody at Tesla really knowing how their systems works, and it's a roll of the dice.

Upvote 0
When are folks planning to take their order off of hold for a Jan 1 delivery?
That's the magic question. You don't want to take it off of hold too early and get a VIN. I would say if you do it between Dec 29th and Dec 31st you are probably safe with the 3 day delivery buffer. You could also have to wait until late January or February. It all depends on where you are in the queue.

Reactions: voxel
Upvote 0
A few sales reps have suggested that I didn't actually lose my place in line when I took the vehicle off hold. Others have said it puts you at the back of the queue. I do agree, I also suspect a big part of this mess is all of the holds from customers waiting out the tax bill. Combined with nobody at Tesla really knowing how their systems works, and it's a roll of the dice.
I wonder if placing a 30 day delivery hold after receiving VIN keeps your spot while a hold preVIN places you at the back.

Upvote 0
That's the magic question. You don't want to take it off of hold too early and get a VIN. I would say if you do it between Dec 29th and Dec 31st you are probably safe with the 3 day delivery buffer. You could also have to wait until late January or February. It all depends on where you are in the queue.
It's will be a giant cluster around Jan 1st when thousands of orders are unheld. My guess is we will see unholds in Jan be delivered in March.

Upvote 0
I was told by Tesla your order will be canceled if you don't take delivery after 3 VINs. Therefore, IN THEORY, you should supposedly be able to reject once since you are on 2nd VIN.... but it sounds like they make up different rules for each person.

For me personally, I'm in a similar situation (White on white, 51k base, 5k FSD, VIN assigned). I plan to cancel (or maybe sell if that makes sense) since the timing just doesn't work out for me.

Upvote 0

Why does getting a VIN matter? The tax credit goes to any vehicle sold after Jan 1, so as long as that loan paperwork is Jan 1 or later you should be good.

Upvote 0
This is a really interesting topic for me. I dont have a VIN assigned but am looking at a delivery window of 12/20-12/31. Im off a lease and continuing to make payments with no real issues from the lender until after February. Curious if I should punt on this first one and roll the dice, but I have no idea when the next car becomes available.

Upvote 0
This is a really interesting topic for me. I dont have a VIN assigned but am looking at a delivery window of 12/20-12/31. Im off a lease and continuing to make payments with no real issues from the lender until after February. Curious if I should punt on this first one and roll the dice, but I have no idea when the next car becomes available.

The other caveat here is the BBB bill says after 12/31/21 or when the bill is passed, the later of the two. If it doesn't get passed this month this waiting game becomes too unpredictable. I think I'm just going to take the next one they assign. I'm just never lucky enough to win when I gamble.

Reactions: kingpinscher
Upvote 0
Believe that all previous actions by Tesla are not really applicable right now.
Tesla is seeing a ton of customers scurring around right now, trying to game the system to get their best deal possible.
Tesla needs to deliver all their production before the EOY to book income. After first of the year they will begin shipping most production overseas to fulfill 1st Q 2022 projections. Those delaying delivery right now may be in for a longer wait than they wish.
Pressure will be applied to all fulfillable orders right now. What Tesla will do on any individual order is unpredictable.

Upvote 0