Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To you, what are the small, lesser known things that make the Model 3 just brilliant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my house yesterday and found myself pausing while taking a drink from an open cup. My reflexes said "wait for the shift so you don't spill on yourself". Guess what? No shift ever came. Nice and smooth, drink at will.

As for other brilliant stuff, the backup camera is LIGHTYEARS ahead of any other camera I've seen in both field of view and clarity (either day or night!!). And the back up lines that move to adjust for a turn while backing up are great in their simplicity. Other cars do this but they're a lot busier, which isn't necessarily better.

Actually, the backup camera and the park assist features in general are lacking compared to other 2019 cars. The only good thing about the backup camera in Model 3 is size and quality of the image. The field of view is rather narrow, I think my 2008 car had wider angle lens, and our family car, 2019 Mazda CX-9, has true 180 degree FOV on both back and front camera AND radar-based rear cross-traffic alerts, AND 360 degree top-down view. I also prefer traditional ultrasonic sensor beeps that change in tone and frequency over Tesla's chimes that are not really informative and a bit annoying.

The back up lines are OK, but they are not calibrated well (or at all), so not that useful. For instance, the lines in the Tesla I took for a test drive approximately matched the rear tires tracks, but they are a bit offset in my Tesla. On the other hand, in my Mazda they match the outside dimensions of the vehicle, including the mirrors, so you can be 100% sure that if the lines don't cross any obstacles, the car won't hit anything.

Tesla reminds me the time when first iPhones just came out. They were lacking some pretty standard functionality from other mobile phones, but the user experience was so different and much more enjoyable that you couldn't go back anymore.

@Eugr, I'm not sure you've quite got the hang of this thread...

Sorry - it's just that while I love pretty much everything in my Tesla, parking it is my least favorite part, compared to other vehicles that I had recently :)

On topic (small lesser known things):

- Automatic rear climate control is brilliant. It is smart enough to figure out when my toddler is in the car seat and activate the rear vent, and doesn't activate it when the car seat is empty (and it's one of the heavier ones).
- Leaving the climate on during the quick stops so the car doesn't get hot
- Driver profiles that remember pretty much all settings (not just seats and mirrors), including AC airflow. I just hope they include lumbar support to the profiles too at some point.
- The shape of the sun visor. Very small detail, but it makes the visor easier to grab.
- Quick flick on the right thumbwheel changes the speed in 5 mph increments

Reactions: ilg
Sorry - it's just that while I love pretty much everything in my Tesla, parking it is my least favorite part, compared to other vehicles that I had recently :)

On topic (small lesser known things):

- Automatic rear climate control is brilliant. It is smart enough to figure out when my toddler is in the car seat and activate the rear vent, and doesn't activate it when the car seat is empty (and it's one of the heavier ones).
- Leaving the climate on during the quick stops so the car doesn't get hot
- Driver profiles that remember pretty much all settings (not just seats and mirrors), including AC airflow. I just hope they include lumbar support to the profiles too at some point.
- The shape of the sun visor. Very small detail, but it makes the visor easier to grab.
- Quick flick on the right thumbwheel changes the speed in 5 mph increments

I doubt lumbar support ever comes to profiles. It's a pump (and not accurate) and therefore not a simple e.g. 1-20 adjustment like the rest of the seat adjustments are.

Also, the rear vent doesn't come on automatically unless you're on Auto, which is a bummer. Yeah yeah, I know manual means manual - but I'd like to override the rear vent control to auto if someone gets in the back.

Thought of another one today...noticed it the first time I sat in A M3: The center rearview mirror. Perfectly shaped to match the view out the rear window and no-bezel design is beautiful.

Haha yeah. Interestingly, it appears to be just an upside down Model S/X mirror. I'm not even kidding.

Which Tesla Rearview Mirror is upside down? or maybe not?

It's a shame the rear view visibility is absolutely bloody awful!

1) Being able to "lock" the brakes at a stop light (or elsewhere) so your foot doesn't have to remain on the brake
2) Learning to rarely have to use the brakes because the car generates power when slowing down - so fun not to have to move from gas to brake - gas to brake
3) Dashboard is SOOO low... great visibility out the front... no speedometer & other items, like vents, make it so clean
4) Setting the car to maintain a "maximum" temperature while parked so you never get into a steaming hot car
5) Ability to turn the AC/heat on from the app before you are going to leave so the car is "prepared" and ready to go
6) Down on stalk to go forward, up for reverse... no push button to start the car... just up or down and go... you get so used to it

I also like the feature (according to the tesla rep) that you can set a separate driver profile, let's say called 'exit', and set it to activate when you put thr car in park. So you can set the seat to slide back and the steering wheel to move up and back out of the way to make getting in and out easier.

Now that being said.... Anybody know how to do that? Ha!

I also like the feature (according to the tesla rep) that you can set a separate driver profile, let's say called 'exit', and set it to activate when you put thr car in park. So you can set the seat to slide back and the steering wheel to move up and back out of the way to make getting in and out easier.

That's just Easy Entry, no?

I think that It's excellent marketing foo that Elon could sell FSD to us giving $3000 of cash to Tesla, yet never release a single feature for it and take our money none the less. Except, Elon and Tesla promised usinclusion in the early access program, yet no early access program invitation has ever been made. Brilliant! Trick your customers to give you money, then don't delivery anything, promise them something you never deliver to keep them guessing. Profit!

Check out page 40 in the Fine Manual. Or search for Easy Entry check box.

Reactions: bigroo42