TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Too many Tesla and the NYT threads

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by malcolm, Feb 13, 2013.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I don't know but it's almost impossible to participate in this discussion in a meaningful way because you have to monitor 4 threads and have the same discussion with different people :confused:

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This was put up as a sticky post for the two main sides of the story, which were being lost in a sea of comment.

You guys don't have to post to it.

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

The first thread is about his original article. The second thread is about Tesla's response to his article, and then there's another thread about his response to their response. This thread doesn't seem to make much sense.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

It's all about the same event. I was annoyed that there were three where there should be one, now there are four. One thread would have eliminated the need for this one, and spared a lot of redundant cross posting. Probably too much of a mess now to merge them I guess, but considering the level of moderation that usually takes place here I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

6. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

can you lock it to prevent posts?

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Recommendation for mods:
    Lock each "now inactive" thread after including a final post that links to the master thread in each.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Fine by me. If mods are happy to post links to major developments if/when they occur.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

You're right. I think the idea was to have a thread at each stage of this saga. We were getting a bunch of reposts every time there was a new article and were merging (a lot) at the different stages so people could comment on the bit they wanted, but it looks like instead people just commented wherever.

I had forgotten, however, that I already had a solution for this problem. And that is the "Thread Summary" post wiki. So the second post of the original thread is now a wiki with links to the various stages in this story. NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway
    Hopefully people will use it to summarize the various links etc. and use it as a guide to find what they want.

The various threads on this single story will now be merged and hopefully people will stop cross posting. I know this solution won't satisfy everyone, but the mods have weighed the pros and cons. If there is some separate aspect (e.g., "how will this affect the stock price" or some such) that can be it's own thread.

10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Thanks for addressing this.