Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took a test drive of the Hyundai Kona Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having owned both the Kona and a Model S for around 1 year I would say do not buy a Kona. The infrastructure is terrible. The Kona is the wife's car, so most long trips have been done in the 'main family car' - the Model S. We live near Chester, and have been on multiple long trips in the Tesla including London, Scotland, France and Spain in the last 12 months. Not a hitch charging within the Tesla infrastructure. Literally never a worry about charging. Ever.
Recently, the wife was going to need to do a long trip in her Kona. I reassured her it would be fine and to prove it my son and I would do a short road trip in her Kona to prove it. So son and I start out with around 100 miles range and I said to him we would basically stop at as many chargers as we could find (on Zap map) and take a small charge and move on. First stop we try is on the M56 out of Chester Junction 14. Ecotricity charger. We stop and discover there is no CCS on this particular charger. Bad start. Chargers 1 Kona 0.
On a brighter note there is the a new Shell Recharge CCS charger behind the petrol station. After much trying, it became clear the machine would not dispense electricity unless I had signed up to the network and got my charge card. As I wasn't signed up at the time nothing could be done right now. Chargers 2 Kona 0 and only 1 site visited. Surely things can only get better we laughed as we drove away and we agreed it was a good job we weren't desperate for a charge.
We followed the M6 North after the M56, and identified there are Ecotricity chargers (with CSS for sure - we double checked) so let's try there...now at this point I have to confess I made an error, and went passed the turning into the car park where the charger is located. No worries we will take another way in to the car park. Unfortunately, we were to discover if you miss the car park you can still stop at the services (in the coach area) but you cannot get back to the charger. Admittedly my fault, but Chargers 3 Kona 0. Surely things can only get better we laughed as we rejoined the M6 and we agreed it was a good job we weren't desperate for a charge.
We continued North on the M6 and identified a new E.On Drive charger 150kw at Preston East, Bluebell Way PR2 5PZ. Now this was exciting, trying out a new 150kw charger. We had only ever charged on Polar 50kw chargers a few times so this would be good to see the Kona charging at its maximum possible speed. Our payment is authorised, just plug in to the car and charging will start says the screen. Charging fails to start. Phone call to helpline (turns out to be diverted to a man in Holland). Very helpful very sympathetic, but unable to get the charger to work. Skeleton staff on that day, he knows they will be able to help but the man to help has gone off for around 10 minutes. Exasperated, and growing tired of a mounting succession of failures I declined. By now my son had identified a Polar 50kw charger less than 10 minutes drive away. We know how to work Polar, what could possibly go wrong? More to the point the cold and driving rain for most of the journey now meant the charge level was so low the option to call things off and return to home to charge was gone. Chargers 4 Kona 0.
We moved on to a Polar charger. The Anderton Arms, Longsands Lane Preston.
Now any of you familiar with Polar chargers will know that where there is a single charger on site, they have 2 EV spaces marked in front of the charger. We arrive at the charger...to find both spaces ICE'd...by a single car slap bang in the middle of both spaces preventing any access to the charger. Chargers 5 Kona 0.
So we went in the pub and enquired of a member of staff to ask if anyone is blocking the charger. At this point our day brightened as the excellent member of staff took it on herself to walk around the pub table by table asking...until eventually bingo the offender was identified. To her credit the offender was incredibly apologetic and immediately came outside to move her car. On the way to the car she explained she parks there as its really handy since "no one ever uses that charger". I resisted the urge to reply "no F*****G wonder if you are parked there all the time".
At last we were able to finally get a charge, and son and I went back in the pub for something to eat. The day had turned into a marathon. During dinner my son advised the Chargers 5th goal had been ruled out by VAR, and we had scored instead so the final score was in fact Chargers 4 Kona 1.
So, those of you considering anything other than a Tesla...
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
This event made my mind up, the Kona had to go. Mrs Mead is looking forward to the delivery of her M3P on 27/03/2020. Yay.
On the plus side the Kona was sold within 24 hours of putting it on auto trader, and given it was 7000 miles on the clock and 11 months old it was sold for just over £1k less than I paid (thank you Hyundai for raising the purchase price between order and delivery which very much helped). Next day the dealer had it up for sale...for more than list price I bought it for.
Given the events in the budget yesterday (removal of PICG for cars over £50k), and barring Tesla lowering the M3P price then I think we may have pulled off another nice bit of business with this purchase! I suspect Tesla may lower the price slightly. It's a win win for them really as they can cast the Chancellor in the role of baddie.

I evaluated the Kona EV among most the offerings in the USA except the Taycan (so far).

It's an appliance car that is well kitted. The HUD is sort of Mickey Mouse, but the build quality is good. The amenities are what you'd expect in a petrol car at their price point, that is, more amenities than a Tesla, less than the Jaguar EV or Audi eTron. Performance is OK. It's not going to turn on your inner-child, but it is still more responsive and quicker in traffic than a Camry or other appliance car.

I see it as a solution for problem that doesn't exist.

• Informative
Reactions: piotroek
I have to confess I made an error, and went passed the turning into the car park where the charger is located

Some time ago I tried to find a CYC Charger using their own APP; it had the charger a mile away from where it actually was ... since then I rely on "accurate location" from crowd sourced data on Plugshare ... (would also help with the CCS-availability aspect too, and I also find it helpful for recent user comments along the lines of "Its been bust for year". I prefer the layout of the Plugshare site, but Zap-Map is similar - and in terms of user-comments probably best to check both)

I'm struggling with the CYC app. I like to research options before I need them so, as we spend significant extended time on south coast, those chargers are important to us - I've even favourited a few.

But I have found the map functionality lacking. First, when map opens, it not centred on my location, or even search location. Then, when I pan the map, I cannot see how it can be made to refresh the charge points in view - I get not updating automatically, but there seems to be no way to refresh the view - there is a refresh under 'options' but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Finally search is lacking. Search by 'point code, location, or postcode'. So I put in postcode. Thats fine, but I don't always know postcode where I am travelling to, so I put in a place name. Hmmmm... 'portsmouth' is a pretty big place, but no show...

20200314_091300000_iOS.png

I'm struggling with the CYC app

In addition to the points you raised : my wife stopped at CYC pump (miles away) and couldn't get it started, so I did so (remotely) using APP on my phone. There was a search box, or similar, but it took me ages to spot it because it was white-on-white (or something like that, it was a while ago, and I've forgotten exactly, other than "it took me a while"!), so far from straightforward / obvious.

All this plethora of APPs (some maybe good ... some are definitely dreadful) needs to be replaced with either tap-card at pump, or something like Mercedes Me where the pump does a handshake to get the car's ID - as Supercharger does.

All these Providers want to do arm-twisting-subscriptions, and they are all losing out to adhoc users, and those adhoc users may very well vow "never that brand again". I just don't get the business logic ... @TheManofMead wrote off 5 brands in one trip!!

There was a search box, or similar, but it took me ages to spot it because it was white-on-white (or something like that, it was a while ago, and I've forgotten exactly, other than "it took me a while"!), so far from straightforward / obvious.

Thats an absolutely pet hate of mine. Clearly many 'designers' do not pay much attention to usability these days for different users - I use to work for BBC Graphic Design so mingled with the best of them and the amount of effort we went through making sure things worked in all sorts of circumstances was significant. As I got older, I got to understand why.

Apart from Nissan - nobody wants a leaf probably due to no CCS. There is a main dealer near my work that has the storage yard next door, there are at least a half dozen leafs right in the corner which would take moving dozens or cars to get to them - no rush then.
A friend of mine has just bought a basic Leaf to replace his 10 year old Kia diesel. But it's probably just for daily local use rather than long journeys as he also has a relatively new big diesel estate. In which case the Leaf seems to make good sense.

A friend of mine has just bought a basic Leaf to replace his 10 year old Kia diesel. But it's probably just for daily local use rather than long journeys as he also has a relatively new big diesel estate. In which case the Leaf seems to make good sense.
About to part ex our 2015 24kW Tekna for M3 LR.
Very excited about the Tesla but the Leaf has been a fabulous car for 2.5 years and 22k miles.
Range is the only criticism I have for the Leaf - well equipped, totally reliable and perfectly adequate for most daily use.
But with range sorted we can now ditch the C4 diesel too. Result!

£500m announced in budget for charging infrastructure with the aim that no part of the country is further than 30m from a rapid charger.

We shall see.

I think it will take a long time and we're already way behind much of the continent.

Take Hemel Hempstead, a population of almost 100K, it has a very large business/industrial area, it's right next to J8 of the M1, J20 M25, and it has a junction with the A41. There are just 4 or 5 public EV charging locations, two of them haven't been working for 5 months according to Zap Map, including the only Chademo/CCS location and the ones that are working are primarily Type 2 7kW, 3kW and 13A 3-pin connections. Maybe only four cars could plug in at the moment and only get a very slow charge. There are several large supermarkets, including a couple of smaller ones just a few months old and none have EV charging.

Compare this to Fontenay-le-Comte, a market town in rural agricultural France, population 15K. We visit this place a lot as we have friends there. It's a fraction of the size of Hemel and has little in the way of business/industry but it has four public EV charger locations (22kW Type 2) each with two-car capacity and a local restaurant hotel has Tesla destination chargers so up two ten cars could be charging simultaneously.

The UK government pledge of £500M sounds a lot but is it? 30 miles between charging locations sounds good but each location needs a good number of rapid chargers.

It will come eventually, because it has to, but it will take a long time and the government won't be paying for most of it.

Even the Tesla Supercharger network is going to be (already is) stressed the way Tesla is achieving sales here now.

Reactions: Roy W.
I suspect with Covid19 and Brexit that the government's priorities will not be on charging infrastructure. It's certainly a shambles right now. I hope that Tesla can continue to build their supercharger network as the number of their cars on the road increases.

Reactions: vitesse
In addition to the points you raised : my wife stopped at CYC pump (miles away) and couldn't get it started, so I did so (remotely) using APP on my phone. There was a search box, or similar, but it took me ages to spot it because it was white-on-white (or something like that, it was a while ago, and I've forgotten exactly, other than "it took me a while"!), so far from straightforward / obvious.

All this plethora of APPs (some maybe good ... some are definitely dreadful) needs to be replaced with either tap-card at pump, or something like Mercedes Me where the pump does a handshake to get the car's ID - as Supercharger does.

All these Providers want to do arm-twisting-subscriptions, and they are all losing out to adhoc users, and those adhoc users may very well vow "never that brand again". I just don't get the business logic ... @TheManofMead wrote off 5 brands in one trip!!
To be fair my intention was not to write off the brands. It was to highlight my experience of the difference between the Tesla infrastructure and the non Tesla CCS infrastructure. The Kona road trip was quite a shocking and salutory lesson for me. I considered myself fairly experienced in EV ownership having owned both a Tesla and Kona for a year. I dread to think how a 'newbie' EV owner would have coped. Don't get me wrong, the Kona was a very good car my only fault with it was using it outside the remit of local runaround,

It was to highlight my experience of the difference between the Tesla infrastructure and the non Tesla CCS infrastructure

Yup, I'm with you there, but likely that Tesla owners will want to do some 3rd party charging at some point, so your message is important in preparing them for how dire it can be.

I've only done 3rd party, successfully, half a dozen times in 4 years. For all of them I had the right APP installed beforehand (I don't have any RFIDs). I can't think of a single instance that was totally painless, and on top of those there were an almost equal number where I failed to charge at all (even after calling support, and even when support said "No problem Sir, I can start the charge remotely" ... and then failed. Add to that the time wasted with Support trying to flog me a monthly contract ...). In all instances the charge wasn't critical to me, given Tesla superior range, so was just nice-to-have / would have enabled charging whilst I was doing something else and negate a Supercharger stop on the way home / late at night.

Public car park in Bath was a good example. 4 Type-2 chargers ... one with some sort of PHEV plugged in. Didn't work, called support, got the "I'll start it for you ... something seems to be wrong" conversation.

"How about I move to one of the other 4 chargers?"

"We've only got two chargers there Sir" ... sure enough the other two were some different brand that I'd never heard of.

"Would you like the location of the nearest alternative Sir?" I'd checked all the alternatives before setting off, but might have got it wrong ..

"Its the Park and Ride" ... so I'm in the middle of Bath, concert starting shortly, and Park and Ride would add, what, 40 minutes roundtrip ...

On the iPace forum they talk of Plans A, B, C and D for charging stops ... No Thanks!

For anyone not needing to drive out-of-range then plenty of EV choice :)

Reactions: TheManofMead
This thread is turning into a perfect example of how Tesla is really the only viable EV in the UK for anything other than local runaround use.

It's definitely made me stop with any thoughts of a Kona or such like. It'll have to be a Model 3 - but the price is really still a bit steep - even the SR+. I think in any case with Covid19 the economic knock-on effects could be huge, so I think it's probably not the right time to be spending on a new car at all.

I'll take stock later in the year I think. In the meantime the old Golf will just have to keep going.