Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery yesterday... obsessing is not over...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is it with this car?

Before I placed my order, I obsessed for over a year lurking in TMC, reading every thread, watching every YouTube video.

After placing my order, I obsessed about my account. I checked several times a day looking for some status change that would give me a hint about the date that I would receive the car.

When I finally got the ETA, I obsessed about how the process would be, would my car be ok?

I finally received the car yesterday and I find myself now at work reading the TMC forums, opening the Tesla App and thinking about the car waiting out there at the parking lot (I am a university professor. I'm currently watching over final exams so this gives me enough freedom to be doing this during working hours, at least right now).

So, is there anything wrong with me or is this a general condition suffered by every owner?

Does it ever go away?

Do I even want it to go away? :confused:

It's pretty common. Enjoy. Welcome.

My advice is to not let the forums here drag you down. It's not malicious, but after a while these forums car sap your enthusiasm. It's much too easy to fret over the .1% of things that might be wrong like paint swirlies, or if "X" version of autopilot swerves, or whether to daily charge to 50% or 70% or 90% (hint: none of it matters unless you let it).

It's two years in for me, and I'm still giving strangers test rides and finding excuses to hit the road. It's a true joy for me, and I hope it doesn't end.

It's pretty common. Enjoy. Welcome.

My advice is to not let the forums here drag you down. It's not malicious, but after a while these forums car sap your enthusiasm. It's much too easy to fret over the .1% of things that might be wrong like paint swirlies, or if "X" version of autopilot swerves, or whether to daily charge to 50% or 70% or 90% (hint: none of it matters unless you let it).

It's two years in for me, and I'm still giving strangers test rides and finding excuses to hit the road. It's a true joy for me, and I hope it doesn't end.
Sounds like excellent advice. Thanks!

I think it's more of a lifestyle choice than just another car! Seriously I've been more into my Model X than any Porsche or BMW that I've owned over the years. I think some of it is the novelty of owning my first EV, but mostly the way it drives, the tech features and the practicality. It's a seriously cool car and no car I've ever owned (including rare classic Porsches) has attracted so much positive attention while out and about. I honestly thought there would be more Tesla haters, but I haven't come across any of those yet away from the internet!

I think it's more of a lifestyle choice than just another car! Seriously I've been more into my Model X than any Porsche or BMW that I've owned over the years. I think some of it is the novelty of owning my first EV, but mostly the way it drives, the tech features and the practicality. It's a seriously cool car and no car I've ever owned (including rare classic Porsches) has attracted so much positive attention while out and about. I honestly thought there would be more Tesla haters, but I haven't come across any of those yet away from the internet!

My thoughts exactly. I have had Porsches, beemers, and Range Rovers but nothing has ever made me look for reasons get in any car and drive this much. I hear its like getting your first smart phone, and thats basically how i feel.

My thoughts exactly. I have had Porsches, beemers, and Range Rovers but nothing has ever made me look for reasons get in any car and drive this much. I hear its like getting your first smart phone, and thats basically how i feel.

Yep, Tesla X was a game-changer for me in this class of car. If it wasn't for Tesla, I'd almost certainly be driving around today in a Volvo XC90 T8, which is a nice enough car, but nowhere near as interesting or special as the X.

If you haven't read the manual back-to-back yet, you are not obsessed enough :p

The car just keeps getting better with age, as software updates keep it fresh - something I could not say about any other car.

I also don't recall putting 30k miles in a year on any of my previous cars. Even if it was a single car in the family. So, keep obsessing, you're not the only one. Bonus points: no need to take any pill to cure it :)

What is it with this car?

Before I placed my order, I obsessed for over a year lurking in TMC, reading every thread, watching every YouTube video.

After placing my order, I obsessed about my account. I checked several times a day looking for some status change that would give me a hint about the date that I would receive the car.

When I finally got the ETA, I obsessed about how the process would be, would my car be ok?

I finally received the car yesterday and I find myself now at work reading the TMC forums, opening the Tesla App and thinking about the car waiting out there at the parking lot (I am a university professor. I'm currently watching over final exams so this gives me enough freedom to be doing this during working hours, at least right now).

So, is there anything wrong with me or is this a general condition suffered by every owner?

Does it ever go away?

Do I even want it to go away? :confused:

Picked up my S on Saturday and I can wholeheartedly echo your sentiments. Loving every minute of it!

Reactions: arubinst
If you haven't read the manual back-to-back yet, you are not obsessed enough :p

The car just keeps getting better with age, as software updates keep it fresh - something I could not say about any other car.

I also don't recall putting 30k miles in a year on any of my previous cars. Even if it was a single car in the family. So, keep obsessing, you're not the only one. Bonus points: no need to take any pill to cure it :)
Oh, but I have! :oops:

@ OP. I was exactly like you pre-purchase, post-purchase, and after taking delivery.

If I had to make one comment thats a downside. Living in the Bay area Model X is pretty common sight. Feels like it's as common as a BMW or Lexus on the road which isn't a surprise being in California and EV central.

By no means do I intend this to be a sexist statement or anything. But most MX drivers I see on the road are women which makes it feel like a soccer mom car. A really expensive soccer mom car, lol.

Looking forward to getting 22" Onyx wheels and chrome delete to set my MX apart from the regular look w/ silver 20" wheels.

Just my $0.02. Still love driving the car everyday.