Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my car to a local garage and they took it for a spin...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why drop the car off for a simple fix. I'd wait with it and oversee the guys. You know they would want to drive it. You could have told them up front that you put it into "slow mode" so they would not even consider driving it and doing a launch. Also, when dropping it off, explain you have the mileage and there is NO REASON to drive the car other than back it out of the bay. By not setting boundaries, we set ourselves up for abuse.

So it's the OP's fault? You're joking, right?

The boundary is more than implied. I don't tell guests in my house that they're NOT free to take the silver. (I can hear the cops now: "But did you TELL them that they weren't welcome to take the silver? No? You kind of set yourself up for that, then, ma'am.") And before you say 'yes, but you know the guests', this is my story, so we'll say my guest brought a friend that I didn't know and they didn't know that well. I still wouldn't tell them they couldn't take things.

Dropping a car off at a shop isn't giving implied permission to joy ride. That boundary is understood. They know they crossed a line. The OP did not set himself up for this.

I had a TPMS alert come up on my screen. After a bit of time looking into it, Tesla said one of my sensors was bad. They shipped me a replacement sensor and asked me to take the car to the garage of my choice to have it installed (they also did recommend one, but it was a bit of a distance away). There is a garage across the street from work, where a bunch of us have taken our cars over the years to get tires swapped. I went over in advance, talked to them about it, and all seemed ok.

Before dropping my car off, I did turn valet mode on. Came back later in the day, got the bill paid (Tesla covered it directly), and went to the car. I noticed the TPMS warning was gone, and that the car had driven 5km. Seemed a bit far for a test drive, but fine. I stepped on it and surprised myself... I had forgot to turn off valet mode. It really does a good job at limiting the fun/performance of the car. With that out of the way, I happened to look at the energy chart. I saw my jump in usage from my 'launch', and then I saw another jump a few KM earlier.... when the garage had my car. Having a dash cam, I proceeded to look at the footage.

First thing I saw was the staff trying (and failing) to figure out how to open the frunk. I believe valet locks the frunk, but from the looks and sounds of it, the staff simply couldn't figure out how to find a button to open it. WHY DID THEY NEED TO LOOK IN THE FRUNK to change a TPMS sensor?!! Arg. Then I watched the test drive... all the staff came out to watch the guy drive around in the parking lot (and I think I even heard someone tell him to back off when he accelerated hard, but it was tough to tell). Anyway, he goes out on the road, and when out of sight of the shop, I hear the faint noise of the car winding up, it looks like he is picking up some speed (but limited due to valet) and the guy says out loud "sure doesn't feel like 600hp", which to me confirmed he tried to do a launch in my car.

I went in and spoke to the manager. He seemed to be upset about the situation (but I couldn't tell if he was upset in being 'busted' or upset that his staff would disrespect him and the customer). I didn't push the issue too far, but he did say the staff member would get a warning and that if similar happened again, he would be fired. What did bug me is the 2nd in command was there as well, and said "there is no reason he would open the hood, I never told him to do that" which is untrue, the video shows this same supervisor telling the guy to try to keyfob. I didn't call that out while talking to them. In the video, the techs response was funny "but the keyfob has no buttons, it is just a toy car, i can't open the hood from it".

I'm tempted to bring it back for a tire change or similar down the road, just to see if the footage shows any improvement, but at the same time, also want to steer clear of that place. I imagine nearly any place may do similar with the car, arg.

I would be beyond angry if I was in your place. What makes those guys think they can drag race a customer's car like that?

Oh, man Footbag - that's horrible! I guess it's a little like the restaurants... most of the time it's better not to know what they are doing in the kitchen. :crying:

Unacceptable behaviour with a positive outcome. I learned a lesson once from my business coach - imagine if there was a web-cam on you at work... how would you behave differently and would your clients still hire you if they could see you work. (I admit my clients may wonder why I check the Tesla forum as often as I do!).

I love gpetti's comment about using Waldo for surveillance next time. :)

Next time... I believe it's @Vlad that owns a tire shop in Edmonton (and a P85D) - that's where I would go.

All I can suggest ...

I found a mobile tire installer from Tire Rack .. bought a used extra wheel/tire and needed to swap tire and tpms sensor.

Was skeptical.. but Tesla wont do it because non OE tires and did not want to take it to a shop and the last tire change, the Tesla tech took a small chunk off my wheel.

Low and behold: I WILL NEVER SEE A SHOP AGAIN. Guy shows up with his trailer and all equipment.

Tire delivered to my house $215.
Tire removal, remount, road force balance ... $50

At my house, in my driveway, at my convenience with me looking over his shoulder.

Could not ask for a happier experience.

I found the same kind of mobile tire guy through TireRack too. He happily brought my winter tires and mounted then on my spare wheels with TPMS from Tesla. It cost basically the same as the tire shops only far more convenient. You won't catch me in a tire shop again.

For those of you thinking about getting a dash cam, go out and get it... small cost, large piece of mind, and very easy to 'install', even if you aren't the type that would install things yourself typically. While mine has captured issues with mechanics, and as well as stupid drivers, thankfully I've remained safe and sound, and it hasn't had to capture an accident or the like.

To you and OP, any tips of what to get and how to get it installed? Obviously you've done a slick job that a stack of mechanics wouldn't even notice it.

Wow just wow. So you hand the car to some shop. Most shops have a standard "test loop" they drive, just to be sure. This didn't seem like a long drive. These are car guys, so they'll enjoy a nice car, and are interested in the mechanical side (frunk). Not everyone knows Tesla. As a car guy you enjoy the launch feeling and will like to see what a car can do. He gunned it, well tried, once. Probably then went back to the shop.

Owner throws a hissy fit, of course you'll deny it. Only... owner was setting them up for a fail (which is why this would get the owner fined in my country... heavily fined.)

So now a mechanic is fired, his family has a shittier life cause some (expletive removed) has a fit.

Get off your high horse. There were many ways to handle this without all the drama, but no, you want it loud and want ... attention... whatever this whole thing is just retarded.

Wow just wow. So you hand the car to some shop. Most shops have a standard "test loop" they drive, just to be sure. This didn't seem like a long drive. These are car guys, so they'll enjoy a nice car, and are interested in the mechanical side (frunk). Not everyone knows Tesla. As a car guy you enjoy the launch feeling and will like to see what a car can do. He gunned it, well tried, once. Probably then went back to the shop.

Owner throws a hissy fit, of course you'll deny it. Only... owner was setting them up for a fail (which is why this would get the owner fined in my country... heavily fined.)

So now a mechanic is fired, his family has a shittier life cause some (expletive removed) has a fit.

Get off your high horse. There were many ways to handle this without all the drama, but no, you want it loud and want ... attention... whatever this whole thing is just retarded.

Seems like you're throwing your own fit.

Several months ago I installed a Kdlinks X1 dashcam in my Model S, along with one of these:

New Lukas LK 530 12V Smart Power Supply Battery Pack 2 600mAh for Dash Cam | eBay

This enables the dashcam to keep recording even when the car is turned off. (without having to splice into the fuse box, etc.)

Fortunately I haven’t had any significant incidents yet, but it’s reassuring to know that it’s there! Still, it’s surprising that the techs who took your car for a ride (as it were) didn’t even notice the dashcam.

Just exactly how did the OP set up a business and its professionals for failure? This I have got to hear.

It's a great opportunity for the mechanic to learn a valuable life lesson (he should already have known as a grown, thinking adult): behave in an appropriate manner in your workplace and do your job to the best of your ability, or risk suffering the consequences of unprofessional actions. That's called being responsible for one's actions and it's something many of us learn as children.

Why you want to excuse the behavior under 'these are car guys', 'they are interested', 'tried to gun it, once' etc... is mind blowing. Never mind the whole premise of respecting others and their possessions. If I was a car guy working as a mechanic, and I saw a new car for the first time in my job, and was curious about certain aspects of it, I'd...wait for it...simply talk to the owner when they came back to collect it. I know, right! Oh, the horror!!

Wrong.

Several months ago I installed a Kdlinks X1 dashcam in my Model S, along with one of these:

New Lukas LK 530 12V Smart Power Supply Battery Pack 2 600mAh for Dash Cam | eBay

This enables the dashcam to keep recording even when the car is turned off. (without having to splice into the fuse box, etc.)

You don't really need any device like that, just run the dashcam on an unswitched 12v source. I used the OBDII port for my 2 channel dashcam, and it runs just fine 24x7. There are also several other unswitched tap points inside the car you can use without running a line to the fuse box.

You're the exact type of person who I hope to avoid in life since it is obvious from your post that you have no respect for others, or the property of others, and no idea about what constitutes character. For your information, the true test of a person's character is what a person does when no one is watching. You know as well as everyone else who watched that video that if the employee knew he was being watched, he wouldn't have tried to gun it, etc. I don't want to live in your world, where respect for others only matters when others are watching. Even worse, you get all upset over someone being called out for displaying poor character.

You don't really need any device like that, just run the dashcam on an unswitched 12v source. I used the OBDII port for my 2 channel dashcam, and it runs just fine 24x7. There are also several other unswitched tap points inside the car you can use without running a line to the fuse box.

Is there any concern about draining the 12volt battery with it running constantly?

Is there any concern about draining the 12volt battery with it running constantly?

Nope. The 12v is periodically recharged from the traction pack as needed with a DC->DC charger. Also, these dashcams pull such a low current, I'm not concerned. I've been running mine (as well as many other people) for months now with zero adverse affects. It *might* increase the vampire drain a tiny amount, but the computers that stay running onboard consume a lot more current than a dashcam.

Tricky situation.

I personally do not trust car shops a bit, having been on the receiving end of some unseemly deeds.

Having said that, there are some aspects of the described situation that I find disagreeable.

1. Covert recording at work is objectionable because one party is being deceptive, possibly leading to provocation or entrapment. I welcome recording in car shops but only with full knowledge of all involved.

I am a big proponent of recording at work, a camera is a fantastic tool, videos and pictures cut out all unnecessary doubt and wasted discussion. For me, a camera is an indispensable tool that I use at almost every step at work, however, I would not dream of recording anyone without asking for a permission beforehand.

Covert recording is not welcome in any place in Australia, not sure of the US laws. Few quotes from a Commissioner on secret workplace recordings:

"The Commissioner held that such conduct was in breach of an employer's duty of good faith and fidelity to his or her employees and undermined the mutual trust and confidence required in the employment relationship. The Commission would have to be acutely conscious to provocation or entrapment."

The general public in Australia tends to agree that the covert recordings are objectionable anywhere, not just at work. Consequently, speed cameras must not be used covertly on our roads, their use must be announced with appropriate signs.

2. Sacking employees from work is a difficult experience for anyone and it deserves to be done right, following due process. In Australia, that process involves steps like counseling and warning sessions. Sackings on the spot are warranted for defined serious breaches and offenses. Attempting to floor the car during a test drive is highly unlikely to fall into 'dismiss on the spot' category.

3. Publishing videos of covertly recorded people whilst they perform some minor transgressions may represent a bigger transgression in some circumstances. If someone's work mistakes are broadcast to the world, they are being shamed publicly for these mistakes and that may represent a disproportionate punishment.

I wonder how is the guy supposed to find another job if a simple google search spits out his misdemeanor to a future potential employer.

Covert recording is not welcome in any place in Australia, not sure of the US laws.

I wonder how is the guy supposed to find another job if a simple google search spits out his misdemeanor to a future potential employer.

I don't think there was anything particularly covert about the OP's dashcam. He didn't install it to record the people in the garage, and hide it so they wouldn't see it. He has a dashcam installed and he didn't disable it before taking his car in to have work done. The people at the shop failed to notice what I expect was a pretty obvious dashcam. I don't see how the OP did anything wrong.

As for the fired guy finding work, how is a simple Google search going to turn him up? I haven't seen his name posted any where. It's not clear the OP even knows his name.

...there are some aspects of the described situation that I find disagreeable.

1. Covert recording at work is objectionable because one party is being deceptive, possibly leading to provocation or entrapment. I welcome recording in car shops but only with full knowledge of all involved...

Covert recording is not welcome in any place in Australia, not sure of the US laws.

In Canada and the US, the test for recording someone is "reasonable expectation of privacy". That is, you can't jump over my fence and record me through my window, since I can reasonably expect no one to be in my yard recording me inside my home. However, if you can see inside my home, without coming into my yard, then you can record me from the street, since I if expect privacy, I should close my blinds. No one out in public, such as being on the street, has a reasonable expectation of privacy, except when in a public washroom, changing room, etc.

I am surprised by the law in Australia as you described it, and I am doubtful that you have articulated it correctly. You like to use the word "covertly" but understand that the OP didn't do anything but leave his camera operating as usual (and it only ran when the car was on). Why should he have to change its operation? It wasn't in a washroom! The guys in the shop could easily see the camera and should know a dash cam would run when the car ran. There's nothing "covert" about it.

However, to suggest that you can't "covertly" record someone in Australia makes no sense to me. Private Investigators are hired to do that all the time, but they must also comply with the "reasonable expectation" test. So I did a quick search and found this:

Is my employer allowed to monitor my activities in the workplace?| Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - OAIC

I'm quite certain your ATM machines record people all the time "covertly" with no signs. In fact, I am certain the laws in Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, etc. are all similar when it comes to recording people.

As an employer, this is a good thing. It also serves as a lesson to others. Regarding the "firing" issue, this was a non-union and non-government job. As such, you fail to understand that an employer in these situations can fire an employee without cause (as they can in Australia too). That only requires severance pay and you have no idea if his employer paid severance (one week severance per year employed under Alberta legislation). You just assume he was fired without severance pay. Otherwise, I fail to understand what your point is on that issue.

Last edited:
I don't think there was anything particularly covert about the OP's dashcam. He didn't install it to record the people in the garage, and hide it so they wouldn't see it. He has a dashcam installed and he didn't disable it before taking his car in to have work done. The people at the shop failed to notice what I expect was a pretty obvious dashcam. I don't see how the OP did anything wrong.

As for the fired guy finding work, how is a simple Google search going to turn him up? I haven't seen his name posted any where. It's not clear the OP even knows his name.

I am not suggesting OP did anything wrong, he copped it a bit as well, but a bit less than the other party. Not a good outcome for anyone.

The whole unfortunate outcome for both OP and sacked guy would have been prevented with overt car shop recording, eg. technicians wearing wearable cameras whenever they come close to customers cars. Transparency at work, when high value goods are at stake, protects all parties.

I am surprised by the law in Australia as you described it, and I am doubtful that you have articulated it correctly. You like to use the word "covertly" but understand that the OP didn't do anything but leave his camera running as usual. However, to suggest that you can't "covertly" record someone in Australia makes no sense to me. Private Investigators are hired to do that all the time, but they must also comply with the "reasonable expectation" test. So I did a quick search and found this:

Is my employer allowed to monitor my activities in the workplace?| Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - OAIC

Privacy Act 1988

I'm quite certain your ATM machines record people all the time "covertly" with no signs.

The link on employers monitoring that you provided does not disprove my post. Employers are allowed to monitor employees, but that has nothing to do with covert recording. Employers are obliged to tell employees that they might monitor their internet activities and similar. That is done by employees signing off that they acknowledge various policies. These processes are put in place for the exact reason to make sure that the covertness element is absent from the relationship.

I disagree that ATMs are an example of covert recordings, it is public knowledge that they have cameras.

As an employer, this is a good thing. It also serves as a lesson to others. Regarding the "firing" issue, this was non-union and non-government job. As such, you fail to understand that an employer in these situations can fire an employee without cause. That only requires severance pay and you have no idea if his employer paid severance (one week per year under Alberta legislation). You just assume he was fired without pay. Otherwise, I fail to understand what your point is on that issue.

US employment laws seem to be different. Regardless of the laws, I find the outcome of sacking the guy to be disproportionate to the offense as described. My view may be not fitting into US work culture and I am ok with that.

The link on employers monitoring that you provided does not disprove my post. Employers are allowed to monitor employees, but that has nothing to do with covert recording. Employers are obliged to tell employees that they might monitor their internet activities and similar. That is done by employees signing off that they acknowledge various policies. These processes are put in place for the exact reason to make sure that the covertness element is absent from the relationship.

I disagree that ATMs are an example of covert recordings, it is public knowledge that they have cameras.

US employment laws seem to be different. Regardless of the laws, I find the outcome of sacking the guy to be disproportionate to the offense as described. My view may be not fitting into US work culture and I am ok with that.

Wrong on both points. The link says this "Generally, monitoring of staff's use of email, the internet and other computer resources, where staff have been advised about that monitoring, would be allowed." But CCTV recording does not require consent. Nor does an employee need consent to record their employer, and it may be done covertly..

Can I record a meeting with my boss and use it in court?

On your second point. This happened in Canada and not the States. I'm married to a Kiwi and it's like saying she is from Australia.

If you think you can't covertly record someone in Australia, then your Private Investigators would all be fined or in jail. But they're not. Call them and ask if they can legally covertly record someone.

In Depth Investigations | Private Investigators Perth | Detectives

• All types of surveillance

Sorry, bud, but what happened in the shop in Alberta, Canada was just as legal as in Cairns, Australia.

And if you think my 89 year old grandfather knew he was being recorded using an ATM, you are also mistaken. Or even my 65 year old mother. Oh, and all the criminals who fail to hide their faces when they steal and use cards, since the cameras are hidden (covert) for a reason.

Last edited:
Wrong on both points. The link says this "Generally, monitoring of staff's use of email, the internet and other computer resources, where staff have been advised about that monitoring, would be allowed." But CCTV recording does not require consent. Nor does an employee need consent to record their employer, and it may be done covertly..

On your second point. This happened in Canada and not the States. I'm married to a Kiwi and it's like saying she is from Australia.

If you think you can't covertly record someone in Australia, then your Private Investigators would all be fined or in jail. But they're not. Call them and ask if they can legally covertly record someone.

In Depth Investigations | Private Investigators Perth | Detectives

• All types of surveillance

Sorry, bud, but what happened in the shop in Alberta, Canada was just as legal as in Cairns, Australia.

And if you think my 89 year old grandfather knew he was being recorded using an ATM, you are also mistaken.

The specific situation involves a workplace, not a public place. The employee was recorded without his awareness of being recorded and that was used against him. Legal or not, I find the outcome unfortunate and disagreeable.

Directly from the link:

SecretRec.JPG

Surveilance.JPG

It seems that we have a different interpretation of the same law. Anyway, in US this seems to be not a legal issue, so talking about the law may be redundant and a distraction from the topic.

Regardless of the law, I find it disagreeable to use covert recordings to sack people for a minor offense.

OP has no responsibility for the outcome in this matter.

The shop owner bears some responsibility for both his staff initial behavior and for his own handling of the situation.

The sacked guy bears responsibility for attempting to floor customer's car during a test drive.

It is a matter of opinion what the most appropriate response needs to be. It is no surprise that different people might have different opinions on the matter.

I am curious about some shop owners pinching in on the matter. It may be easy for me to say that what happened was harsh. Such outcome would be considered harsh in the most work places that I worked in. I was never a shop or a small business owner, so my perspective may not be the best suited for an informed opinion.

Last edited: