Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took one for the team...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I have a car enthusiast ophthalmologist friend who, while not bashing, has been very skeptical about EVs. In particular whether it would deliver the all around driving experience he's used to with his fleet. Until quite recently he had a Ferrari, and he currently has an Audi R8 V10 (2011), a Mercedes V12, and a Porsche Carrera S.

I had been wanting to go by to let him drive my S85, but knew it probably wouldn't have that "blow him away" power he's used to. Since I have a loaner P85 for the weekend while mine's in STL getting serviced I made a point to go by this evening.

He'd washed his cars and had an iPhone photo shoot prior to my arrival. So we had a nice collection of cars in his driveway once I got there. He jumped in wanting me to drive him first for a bit and I was rewarded with a Tesla grin and giggle within the first quarter mile of open road! Once I let him take over he jumped on it and couldn't stop laughing and asking "how'd I get there?" (Regarding the speed). He was impressed with the acceleration and cornering and how well behaved it felt. He loved the design and finish.

But the piper must be paid.... He dragged me behind the wheel (I was kicking and screaming "no" the whole way!) of all 3 of his beauties in return for the drive. What a blast, ESP. For someone who'd never driven paddle shifters. That R8 wouldn't take long to fall in love with.

After a break we took the Tesla to dinner. Because he'd always said he wouldn't like EVs because he likes the "soundtrack" of his ICE vehicles too much I had set up the XLR8 app on my iPhone. It has the actual engine sounds for a number of super cars and revs and shifts using clues from the iPhone's accelerometer. I ran it through the audio system via Bluetooth and cranked it up for the short drive. He loved it...I told him he had no more excuses not to get a Tesla!

Not sure if he'll buy right away, but I think I've mad another convert!
8upume9u.jpg

ra3epunu.jpg

y8y9ynaz.jpg

haha. Were you joking about kicking and screaming not to drive his cars???

When I went to the track a few weeks back, my buddy and I swapped cars for a few laps. He had a Shelby GT500. Very impressive track machine!!! It stuck like glue to the track, it definitely pulls a lot more G's in corners than the Model S. I'm hoping stickier rubber plus a little less air pressure will help!

I really don't get people who "like the soundtrack".

To me, that's like someone saying they "like the smell of exhaust".

Noise is one of the pollutants of non-EV vehicles.

A Ford Focus, yes sure. An R8 V10 at full pipes, no. That metallic howl is just heavenly. If you don't get that, you were never a "car person" to begin with. No offense :) Not that there has to be anything wrong with that.

Cool story, efusco! Must have been a pain having to drive those cars of his in return :biggrin:

Evan, you really are my long lost brother. I have a friend who has a stable of cars from BMW which are all Dinan tuned, and AMG. I took him out for a ride and told him to drive it like it was stolen. He is seriously considering buying it!

Just noticed it looks like you have 21" rims but your signature says you have 19" rims. Looks great in white.

Evan, you really are my long lost brother. I have a friend who has a stable of cars from BMW which are all Dinan tuned, and AMG. I took him out for a ride and told him to drive it like it was stolen. He is seriously considering buying it!

Just noticed it looks like you have 21" rims but your signature says you have 19" rims. Looks great in white.

The car in the pics is a loaner.

I really don't get people who "like the soundtrack".

To me, that's like someone saying they "like the smell of exhaust".

Noise is one of the pollutants of non-EV vehicles.

I agree, the "noise" is wasted energy not being used to move you forward, not only is noise a waste of energy, the car will waste even more energy making the noise quieter and smoothing out the tone so its not so raspy

Noise from explosions (wasted energy) > Catalytic converter reducing noise (wasted energy) > down pipe (wasted energy) > resonator (wasted energy) > muffler (wasted energy) > Shiny exhaust tip (excess weight)

for those people that say "you will miss the sound of a roaring v8" probably don't even know the difference between a spanner and a wrench