Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took X home-Should I have refused delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people will not be staring at the car, looking for defects. They’ll just look at it from afar or the road or glance at it. But if I’m paying $115k for it and custom ordered it, I want it to look like it’s a car made without gaps and alignment issues. I pointed out the exterior gaps and alignment being off throughout the entire car to a friend and he said now that I point them out, it’s glaring and obvious. Especially when you see that the gap isn’t consistent. Some areas it’s small, and then as you follow the line, it’s more than twice the gap somewhere else.

We sent in pictures of everything on Monday. We were told we would hear back on Wednesday. Haven’t heard from anyone back yet.

Here are more pictures for anyone interested. Some may say it’s no big deal and the car drives fine, but again...the car isn’t seamless. Knowing they pushed 200 deliveries the same day I picked my car in the 2 local Tesla makes me feel QC wasn’t at its best when my car was made.

Attachments

• 57311760-1D42-4627-9059-15018113A1F2.jpeg
    57311760-1D42-4627-9059-15018113A1F2.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 795CC136-E3E3-40E8-9DBC-DBB3CEB0102B.jpeg
    795CC136-E3E3-40E8-9DBC-DBB3CEB0102B.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 887B9EB5-6296-410A-8FE7-AB792798CCF9.jpeg
    887B9EB5-6296-410A-8FE7-AB792798CCF9.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 98
  • B3B71CBD-41A5-45FF-BC73-3EB55593D3C4.jpeg
    B3B71CBD-41A5-45FF-BC73-3EB55593D3C4.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 104
  • B1673171-05D9-4E00-8F78-76BABFAFAFCD.jpeg
    B1673171-05D9-4E00-8F78-76BABFAFAFCD.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 65D52959-C1BA-4F85-A49B-7E0BF248BC6F.jpeg
    65D52959-C1BA-4F85-A49B-7E0BF248BC6F.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 105
Enjoy your car. Don't obsess over the little things. Make an appointment with your service center and they will be able to address some of the issues. Others are just inherent alignment issues in the stamping of some of the parts and will never be fixed. My 2016 Model X has some of the issues you've shown in pictures (chrome pieces alignment, falcon wing door handle matching, etc). This is not a Lexus and you can't roll a marble over the perfect panel gaps. It's a Tesla and you get great technology with a fun driving experience. As the old expression goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Most people will not be staring at the car, looking for defects. They’ll just look at it from afar or the road or glance at it. But if I’m paying $115k for it and custom ordered it, I want it to look like it’s a car made without gaps and alignment issues. I pointed out the exterior gaps and alignment being off throughout the entire car to a friend and he said now that I point them out, it’s glaring and obvious. Especially when you see that the gap isn’t consistent. Some areas it’s small, and then as you follow the line, it’s more than twice the gap somewhere else.

We sent in pictures of everything on Monday. We were told we would hear back on Wednesday. Haven’t heard from anyone back yet.

Here are more pictures for anyone interested. Some may say it’s no big deal and the car drives fine, but again...the car isn’t seamless. Knowing they pushed 200 deliveries the same day I picked my car in the 2 local Tesla makes me feel QC wasn’t at its best when my car was made.
Those miss alignment are big deal. I would call SC and schedule to fix those. give them a chance to fix it while you might enjoy a tesla loaner car.

Last edited:
Earliest service date I got, after leaving two messages and going back and forth with if the due bill was submitted or not (no one ever contacted me as promised), is October 29. I was told that they'd have to take measurements and see if the gaps are within specs. Does anyone know what that magical number is?

I also read on a different post/discussion that when they outsource the car to get it serviced, there are possibilities for more problems? Could anyone expand on this?

My husband is kind of freaking out and is fearing the worst: that they won't fix it, or it'll keep having problems. He's wishing we refused it. It's mainly cosmetic and I'm just hoping they'll resolve it...but he heard from someone else that they told a Model 3 owner that the gaps were "within spec" and they wouldn't fix it.

Earliest service date I got, after leaving two messages and going back and forth with if the due bill was submitted or not (no one ever contacted me as promised), is October 29. I was told that they'd have to take measurements and see if the gaps are within specs. Does anyone know what that magical number is?

I also read on a different post/discussion that when they outsource the car to get it serviced, there are possibilities for more problems? Could anyone expand on this?

My husband is kind of freaking out and is fearing the worst: that they won't fix it, or it'll keep having problems. He's wishing we refused it. It's mainly cosmetic and I'm just hoping they'll resolve it...but he heard from someone else that they told a Model 3 owner that the gaps were "within spec" and they wouldn't fix it.

While I cringe to say what I'm about to say I think it has meaning here... Not all things matter to all people in all ways... "I" don't think your alignment issues are nearly as bad as you, or your husband, thinks they are. Certainly nowhere near approaching the level of refusing delivery. But again, that's "my" opinion based on the pictures. Naturally it's up to you to decide what's acceptable to you but I'd say that while there are some opportunities for some improvement there, I wouldn't have the expectation that service will return the car with 100% perfect and consistent gaps and alignments across every panel/door/frunk/hatch on the car.

I haven't ever heard of Tesla outsourcing it's service to a 3rd party so I'm not sure what that part is about but I'll concede that I don't know everything about Tesla's operations globally... :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the experience from a Model 3 owner vs an Model X owner in this case as, at least from my limited experience with my Model X, Tesla seems more willing to go the extra mile for the Model X vs the Model 3... YMMV...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

I agree with you, definitely fight it. Accepting this at $115,000 (or at any price, for a NEW vehicle) is ridiculous. That doesn't do anybody any good. It'll just allow Tesla to merrily hum along with no care to improve the QC.

Your window trim and tailgate gaps look just like mine (doesn't mean its right, but it may be "normal"). Your headlight hood gap looks larger though. Prioritize your issues and concentrate on the ones that you really want to get fixed.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Has anyone noticed features missing from what was ordered? I was so happy to finally receive my MX that I never even thought to check that it might not include the features I ordered but after making sure I looked over and reported the fit and finish issues which were minor, I realized I had no tow hitch! I had not seen my self presenting driver door either but I had figured that was a setting issue...but I looked and no setting for it! As far as I recall that was part of the premium package which when I ordered my premium paint and premium white seats I was happy to discover was included. Except, they didn’t make it into the car! I then started to dig a bit. I looked for the biohazard...no screen option, cold weather package, no way to enable heating of rear seats, premium audio, heated wipers, how do I tell if what I ordered was delivered! I realized my documents like purchase order don’t really detail this stuff out. I looked at my window sticker. The tow package is listed but none of the other stuff! Clearly the sticker did not reflect the build but other than the fact that the current design studio still shows these things as included, I have no way without a screenshot of the design studio at my purchase date of July 6 to prove those things were included. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or similar issues? My sales rep and sc are not quite sure how to proceed. I am concerned the design studio front end may have been out of Sync with the factory order system and a bait and switch ensued! Not saying it was purposeful but I am missing a bunch of features I believe I paid for but did not receive. Some should be easy to fix like tow hitch and self-presenting doors, but 7 heated seats?

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
Has anyone noticed features missing from what was ordered? I was so happy to finally receive my MX that I never even thought to check that it might not include the features I ordered but after making sure I looked over and reported the fit and finish issues which were minor, I realized I had no tow hitch! I had not seen my self presenting driver door either but I had figured that was a setting issue...but I looked and no setting for it! As far as I recall that was part of the premium package which when I ordered my premium paint and premium white seats I was happy to discover was included. Except, they didn’t make it into the car! I then started to dig a bit. I looked for the biohazard...no screen option, cold weather package, no way to enable heating of rear seats, premium audio, heated wipers, how do I tell if what I ordered was delivered! I realized my documents like purchase order don’t really detail this stuff out. I looked at my window sticker. The tow package is listed but none of the other stuff! Clearly the sticker did not reflect the build but other than the fact that the current design studio still shows these things as included, I have no way without a screenshot of the design studio at my purchase date of July 6 to prove those things were included. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or similar issues? My sales rep and sc are not quite sure how to proceed. I am concerned the design studio front end may have been out of Sync with the factory order system and a bait and switch ensued! Not saying it was purposeful but I am missing a bunch of features I believe I paid for but did not receive. Some should be easy to fix like tow hitch and self-presenting doors, but 7 heated seats?

Was this a NEW car order, or an inventory car? If it was new, all cars now come with all of these things, including Premium Upgrade. Other than picking seating options, wheels and color, everything else is included. It sounds like your software was not set up correctly Again, if it was brand new order. Older cars, probably including some inventory cars, may not have everything included.

Was this a NEW car order, or an inventory car? If it was new, all cars now come with all of these things, including Premium Upgrade. Other than picking seating options, wheels and color, everything else is included. It sounds like your software was not set up correctly Again, if it was brand new order. Older cars, probably including some inventory cars, may not have everything included.
Well, it was ordered July 6th and not delivered till Sept. 25, even though it was estimated end of August! I believe it is the case that I just missed the inclusion of those features. Last time I bought an X in June of 2016, I just missed autopilot 2!