Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Keeps Rebooting - Can't get support!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My touchscreen keeps rebooting while driving and it's been going on for 6 weeks. I've called Tesla (main # initially) 5 times each time I was told they'd get back to me with "research" yet didn't and apologized. Thus my 4 follow up calls. Finally I was told screen would be replaced (hardware problem not software) and it got bumped to local service center. That was 3 weeks ago. I wrote to Tesla to air my grievance on the lack of followup and my having to call so many times - I got better support from Nissan and Lexus. I know the car will eventually get fixed but the support from Tesla was just awful. I wrote to whoever they told me to, to "complain" and I got a generic response telling me to contact the service center - they never read the note. Oh, and I have a 75D. Apparently, those of you who have a more expensive Tesla have an icon, on your app, that allows you to contact a different division of Tesla with comments that get bumped up the chain much faster! That was pointed out to me by a manager at Tesla who was very apologetic when he saw that I didn't have that option..... Suggestions on who I might contact? Sorry for the very very loooong note!

Mine was doing the same thing. They had me change some settings that for some reason make it stop doing it. Here's what i did if i can remember it correctly. Your going to think it sounds crazy just like i did. Go to energy consumption and clear all trips then go into your energy saving setting and turn that off and make sure always connected is checked. Sounds ridiculous but I guess this clears some conflict in the software. Mine rebooted 3 times in 20 min trip but hasn't done it once since i followed those instructions. Depends on what kind of issue you were having. Mine wasn't doing a boot loop but just randomly rebooting ever once in while.

Apparently, those of you who have a more expensive Tesla have an icon, on your app, that allows you to contact a different division of Tesla with comments that get bumped up the chain much faster! That was pointed out to me by a manager at Tesla who was very apologetic when he saw that I didn't have that option..... Suggestions on who I might contact? Sorry for the very very loooong note!

I don't have an escalation option on my app, either. I haven't heard of anyone having that. And I've never heard of people NOT having it unless they have a more expensive model.

Try looking at your online TeslaAccount, select 'Manage' (button next to your vehicle), scroll down and you should see this:
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 5.52.33 AM.png

Have you made an appointment at your service center to have this looked at? It sounds like you talked to them at one point - and I might have missed it - but did you ever take it in for resolution? If they said there was nothing they could do, then escalation would be appropriate. But has that happened?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Mine was doing the same thing. They had me change some settings that for some reason make it stop doing it. Here's what i did if i can remember it correctly. Your going to think it sounds crazy just like i did. Go to energy consumption and clear all trips then go into your energy saving setting and turn that off and make sure always connected is checked. Sounds ridiculous but I guess this clears some conflict in the software. Mine rebooted 3 times in 20 min trip but hasn't done it once since i followed those instructions. Depends on what kind of issue you were having. Mine wasn't doing a boot loop but just randomly rebooting ever once in while.

They had me do the same thing but the problem continued. I also deactivated the homelink and a bunch of other things... I thought it only happened when changing stations while using streaming radio but not so..... but it's really more their not returning calls, canned responses, etc especially when buying such a high end car... somehow that just doesn't seem right. I really really stretched to buy this...

They had me do the same thing but the problem continued. I also deactivated the homelink and a bunch of other things... I thought it only happened when changing stations while using streaming radio but not so..... but it's really more their not returning calls, canned responses, etc especially when buying such a high end car... somehow that just doesn't seem right. I really really stretched to buy this...

I feel the same way. I normally spend 50-60k on vehicles but i went to 90k on mine and i feel i made a very big mistake. These cars are not worth anywhere near what they ask. I really don't find anything on the car that justifies it's price. Most of the fancy features either don't work all the time, don't work correctly or just plain don't work at all. I feel like everything is done just to point of making it acceptable but nothing more. My last vehicle was a 2015 Platinum F-150 and sadly it felt much higher quality and I never had anything go wrong with it.

I contacted the local dealer but when they didn't call back I called the general number. Their initial thought was "software" so they were going to troubleshoot and call back - thus the multiple unreturned calls, each time I called they were very nice saying they were working on it. After about 3 weeks it got "escalated". Eventually someone took ownership, decided it was hardware and it got sent to the local dealer who was unable to locate a new console for 3 weeks. Again, I called Tesla and was told no distribution centers had them. I called right back and was told that, of course, they did and they'd try to locate one and send it which I don't doubt that they're doing. But it's taken, now, 6 weeks, no fault of the local dealer. So, yes, it did get escalated. When I sent a note to Tesla simply explaining my frustration (the reps I've spoken to have seen the calls having gone unreturned), the email I got back was to call my service center - not why I contacted them.

As for the app, that's simply what the rep on the phone to whom everything was escalated told me. He started walking me through what to do. When I didn't see what he was pointing out, he corrected himself and then explained why I didn't have it. So I can't take a screenshot or verify it. I DO have exactly what your screenshot shows.

So my question was how to air my concern about the lack of responsiveness or taking ownership of the problem by Tesla - my email to [email protected] , where I was told to send it, did no good.... Thanks...

I feel the same way. I normally spend 50-60k on vehicles but i went to 90k on mine and i feel i made a very big mistake. These cars are not worth anywhere near what they ask. I really don't find anything on the car that justifies it's price. Most of the fancy features either don't work all the time, don't work correctly or just plain don't work at all. I feel like everything is done just to point of making it acceptable but nothing more. My last vehicle was a 2015 Platinum F-150 and sadly it felt much higher quality and I never had anything go wrong with it.
What were the reasons you originally purchased?

I contacted the local dealer but when they didn't call back I called the general number. Their initial thought was "software" so they were going to troubleshoot and call back - thus the multiple unreturned calls, each time I called they were very nice saying they were working on it. After about 3 weeks it got "escalated". Eventually someone took ownership, decided it was hardware and it got sent to the local dealer who was unable to locate a new console for 3 weeks. Again, I called Tesla and was told no distribution centers had them. I called right back and was told that, of course, they did and they'd try to locate one and send it which I don't doubt that they're doing. But it's taken, now, 6 weeks, no fault of the local dealer. So, yes, it did get escalated. When I sent a note to Tesla simply explaining my frustration (the reps I've spoken to have seen the calls having gone unreturned), the email I got back was to call my service center - not why I contacted them.

As for the app, that's simply what the rep on the phone to whom everything was escalated told me. He started walking me through what to do. When I didn't see what he was pointing out, he corrected himself and then explained why I didn't have it. So I can't take a screenshot or verify it. I DO have exactly what your screenshot shows.

So my question was how to air my concern about the lack of responsiveness or taking ownership of the problem by Tesla - my email to [email protected] , where I was told to send it, did no good.... Thanks...

The rep on the phone was wrong. It's not on the app. You have the same as everyone else.

As far as how to air your concern regarding the lack of responsiveness, the service center is truly your best bet. They should have been the first stop, rather than calling a general number. But that's not on you, you called a number that you were given and were going with what they said.

Did your local service center tell you it was on order or was it the general number? Again, I strongly suggest you work through the local center -- they place the part orders, they schedule the appointments, etc. And if they give you the runaround, then there are ways to escalate. (But, for the record, I've heard good things about your service center.)

Technology, Musk's commitment to the environment and vision of the future, Musk's true (I believe) commitment to helping people and humanity (sounds pollyanish but I believe it), and, I assumed, commitment to customers as an extension...

What were the reasons you originally purchased?

I like to buy things that not everybody else has and I was looking for a sports car. I decided rather than add another vehicle to the garage I'd just trade the truck and get the Tesla for my everyday driver. I saw some bad comments about them but you never know what you can believe so i just decided I'd try one out for myself. So far not impressed at all. The whole sale process went extremely bad and the car constantly has some sort of glitch with different things around the car. I understand they are trying to innovate and come up with totally new things but i disagree with your paying customers being beta testers.

• Funny
Reactions: SummitX
If you have a flash drive or other device plugged into the USB port, try removing it and see if the reboot issue stops. This has been an issue with certain devices plugged into the car. For some reason, the car does not play well with certain flash drives, but gas no issues with other flash drives. I use a Sandisk (the miniature one that barely sticks out) without problems. But another make caused problems.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Just like any other computer the main screen can be faulty. Mine had to be replaced around 25,000 miles as well and it fixed it. Mine was mostly locking up when using the Nav.

I've been very happy with service since day 1 and have no regrets on spending 86K on this amazing machine. Sucks that not everyone else has had the same experience.

I like to buy things that not everybody else has and I was looking for a sports car. I decided rather than add another vehicle to the garage I'd just trade the truck and get the Tesla for my everyday driver. I saw some bad comments about them but you never know what you can believe so i just decided I'd try one out for myself. So far not impressed at all. The whole sale process went extremely bad and the car constantly has some sort of glitch with different things around the car. I understand they are trying to innovate and come up with totally new things but i disagree with your paying customers being beta testers.
So sell it and move on.

Oh, and I have a 75D. Apparently, those of you who have a more expensive Tesla have an icon, on your app, that allows you to contact a different division of Tesla with comments that get bumped up the chain much faster! That was pointed out to me by a manager at Tesla who was very apologetic when he saw that I didn't have that option..... Suggestions on who I might contact? Sorry for the very very loooong note!

Not true on any level. Never been true. Possibly the most absurd thing I've ever read on these forums.

Besides that, here are some common reasons why you get cycling reboots:

1.) Tesla servers being weird. This happened a couple years ago and the entire fleet was being rebooted constantly, was a PR nightmare
2.) USB devices causing issues with the MCU suddenly. Unplug them and reboot the screens with the scroll wheels, see if it fixes it.
3.) Firmware push causing issues. Would be more widespread but possible... not much you can do here except escalate try to get a rollback at a service center
4.) MCU failing on any number of levels, but most likely the Tegra's NAND flash going bad (well documented issue)

If you are in warranty, great! It'll get fixed. If you're getting bad responses from phone support, take your car to the service center and tell them the EXACT time the reboot(s) happened (watch for it over the next couple days, jot the time down). Ask them to look into the logs and determine why you're getting reboots

I get a cycling reboot whenever I attempt to use the onboard navigator to travel to a destination in Ponder, TX.

Seriously.

The past three times I've set an address in Ponder, the central display goes into a reboot cycle. Made the same trip, to the same exact house, without using the GPS, no problem whatsoever.

My touchscreen keeps rebooting while driving and it's been going on for 6 weeks.

I'm sorry you hadn't posted this a dar or two ago. I was in Lawrenceville yesterday and would gladly have met up with you to check into it for you. It might be an easy fix as others have pointed out. If you can't get this resolved and want another pair of eyes, i'll be in the Neshaminy mall area in PA tomorrow and could have a look at it around 3 PM if that's of interest to you. Let me know.

Which service center are you calling, Devon PA or Springfield NJ?

So sell it and move on.

Sure i'll go ahead and eat $20k in depreciation with only 1,000 miles. It's not as easy as "sell it and move on". Everybody is going to have their own opinion about Tesla. Some love it and will defend the brand no matter how many times their car is in service and others will pick it apart. I just expect it to compare in quality with cars in it's price range and it doesn't. I will be selling it as soon as I put some more miles on it to justify my lose.

Sure i'll go ahead and eat $20k in depreciation with only 1,000 miles. It's not as easy as "sell it and move on". Everybody is going to have their own opinion about Tesla. Some love it and will defend the brand no matter how many times their car is in service and others will pick it apart. I just expect it to compare in quality with cars in it's price range and it doesn't. I will be selling it as soon as I put some more miles on it to justify my lose.

If I was in this situation I would start to pursue local lemon laws to get a refund or replacement.
Florida Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org